The following content displays a map of the jobs location - London
Software Development Manager - Machine Learning Engineering
What’s in it for you
We’re all about the little helps. That’s why we give our wonderful colleagues bags of benefits. Including wellbeing services, an award-winning pension scheme and much, much more, our colleague reward package keeps on giving. And helps make every day a little better for you and your family. These include but are not limited to:
- Annual bonus scheme of up to 20% of base salary
- Holiday starting at 25 days plus a personal day (plus Bank holidays)
- Buy holiday salary sacrifice scheme (for salaried roles)
- Private medical insurance
- Retirement savings plan - save between 4% and 7.5% and Tesco will match your contribution
- Life Assurance - 5 x contractual pay
- 26 weeks maternity and adoption leave (after 1 years’ service) at full pay, followed by 13 weeks of Statutory Maternity Pay or Statutory Adoption Pay, we also offer 4 weeks fully paid paternity leave
- The right to request flexible working from your first day with us
- Free 24/7 virtual GP service, Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) for you and your family, free access to a range of experts to support your mental wellbeing
- A Colleague Clubcard for you & a family member (after 3 months of service), giving you access to lots of discounts in-store & online
- Great colleague deals and discounts, saving you money on everyday purchases, eating out and utility bills for the home
- Access to our colleague networks providing a space for colleagues to come together from a range of backgrounds. For more information about our colleague networks please click here
- Opportunities to get on - take advantage of our ongoing learning opportunities and award-winning training, to help you achieve the job and career you want
Click Here to read more about the full range of benefits we have available for our colleagues
About the role
Within Tesco Data & Analytics, we help our customers and the communities where we operate get the most value from data. We build and run Tesco’s data platforms, we architect and engineer data onto these platforms, provide capabilities and tools to the analytics community across Tesco, and develop data products at scale.
Our Data Science teams are involved in a broad range of projects, spanning across supply chain, logistics, store and online. These include projects in the areas of Operations Optimisations, Commercial Decision Support (e.g. Forecasting and Range Optimisation), Online (e.g. Search and Recommendation) and Intelligent Edge (e.g. Computer Vision). Our Machine Learning Engineers work alongside our data scientists, helping with everything from development of tools and platforms, code optimisations through to deployment of solutions on the edge, cloud and big-data environments.
You will be responsible for
As a Software Engineering Manager for Machine Learning Engineering, you’ll be a significant contributor to the delivery of products in one of Tesco’s most strategic technology areas. You’ll work with other engineers, data scientists, product managers, systems engineers, and analytics professionals to help deliver valuable and innovative outcomes for our customers. You’ll work within and across our Engineering and Data Science teams, delivering scalable products that improve how we serve our customers and run our operations.
Responsibilities will include:
- Leading and driving the technical strategy for teams you manage, ensuring they are aligned to the wider technology strategy
- Hire, retain, and engage engineering managers and senior engineering talent.
- Work with key stakeholders, ensuring teams deliver the right value.
- Contributing to budget planning and forecasting for the Data Science domain
- Leading group discussions on system design and architecture.
- Working with Data Scientists, Engineers and Product teams across the software lifecycle.
- Delivering high quality code and solutions, bringing solutions into production.
- Set up your team to support production systems, resolve incidents, and performing root cause analysis.
- Continually look for how we can evolve and improve our technology, processes and practices.
- Sharing knowledge with the wider engineering community.
- Mentoring and developing others around you, leading a team of engineers.
- Applying SDLC practices to create and release robust software.
You will need
You come from either an Engineering or Data Science background, bringing strong knowledge of the Data Science Toolkit (Programming, Machine Learning, MLOps etc) and bringing data science solutions into production. You therefore tick the majority of the following points:
- Experience building and leading engineering teams within a Data Science setting
- A higher degree in engineering, computer science, maths or science.
- Customer focus with the right balance between outcome delivery and technical excellence.
- The ability to apply technical skills and know-how to solving real world business problems.
- Demonstratable experience of building scalable and resilient systems.
- Commercial experience contributing to the success of high impact Data Science projects within complex organisations.
- Awareness of emerging MLOps practices and tooling would be an advantage e.g. feature stores and model lifecycle management.
- An analytical mind set and the ability to tackle specific business problems.
- Experience with different programming languages and a good grasp of at least one language. The ideal candidate is fluent in Python.
- Use of version control (Git) and related software lifecycle tooling.
- Understanding of common data structures and algorithms.
- Experience working with open-source Data-Science environments.
- Knowledge of open source big-data technologies such as Apache Spark.
- Experience building solutions that run in the cloud, ideally Azure.
- Experience with software development methodologies including Scrum & Kanban.
- A background or strong understanding of the retail sector, logistics and/or ecommerce would be advantageous but is not required.
Our vision at Tesco is to become every customer's favourite way to shop, whether they are at home or out on the move. Our core purpose is ‘Serving our customers, communities and planet a little better every day’. Serving means more than a transactional relationship with our customers. It means acting as a responsible and sustainable business for all stakeholders, for the communities we are part of and for the planet.
We are proud to have an inclusive culture at Tesco where everyone truly feels able to be themselves. At Tesco, we not only celebrate diversity, but recognise the value and opportunity it brings. We're committed to creating a workplace where differences are valued, and make sure that all colleagues are given the same opportunities. We’re proud to have been accredited Disability Confident Leader and we’re committed to providing a fully inclusive and accessible recruitment process. For further information on the accessibility support we can offer, please click here.
We’re a big business and we can offer a range of diverse full-time & part-time working patterns across our many business areas, which means that we can find something that works for you. We work in a more blended pattern - combining office and remote working. Our offices will continue to be where we connect, collaborate and innovate. If you are applying internally, please speak to the Hiring Manager about how this can work for you - Everyone is welcome at Tesco.