The following content displays a map of the jobs location - London
Software Development Manager - Search & Recommendations
Job Reference tesco/TP/14156964/802792
What’s in it for you
We offer excellent benefits that help make Tesco a great place to work! These include but are not limited to:
- Annual bonus scheme of up to 45% of base salary
- Car allowance of £7320 per annum
- Holiday starting at 25 days plus a personal day (and bank holidays)
- Private medical insurance offered through Bupa
- Retirement savings plan – save between 4% and 7.5% and Tesco will match your contribution
- Life Assurance at 5x contractual pay
- Buy as you earn and Save as you earn share schemes
About the role
We build the APIs that power Tesco's search and recommendation capabilities across all online offerings. We fulfil millions of non-trivial requests with very low latency which presents a lot of interesting technical challenges.
We're investing heavily in machine learning and applied statistics to improve result quality. Our long-term vision goes well beyond online to include mobile, a variety of in-store features for customers and colleagues all on a global scale.
Our systems consists of a set of modern event-driven, RESTful microservices utilising a wide range of technologies including:
· Java, Vert.X, RxJava, NodeJS, Python
· Amazon Web Services, Kubernetes, Docker, Jenkins, Git, Linux
· MongoDB, ElasticSearch, Couchbase, Redis, Apache Camel
We are responsible for the software throughout the lifecycle. We maintain a DevOps culture employing continuous integration and delivery, supporting our code through to production and beyond.
You will be responsible for
As a Software Development Manager within Search & Recommendations your primary responsibility is to build and maintain a passionate, engaged and effective development team of engineers. You do this through taking a deep interest in the people that report to you, making sure they are happy, motivated and challenged in what they are doing. You devolve decision-making and provide the team with the psychological safety to move fast. You guide them to reach pragmatic technical solutions and keep yourself close to the code without becoming a blocker. You take ownership when things go wrong but celebrate success collectively. In short, you act as a multiplier of your team’s effectiveness.
Specifically, you will:
· Foster the careers of the engineers reporting into you by finding opportunity for growth, coaching, addressing concerns and if necessary, implementing performance management.
· Grow the capability of Tesco Technology as a whole by becoming involved in our engineering hiring and being passionate about building high performing and diverse teams.
· Work closely with Product Management to identify and minimise risk within an outcome and help prioritise and evolve a workable technical solution ready for delivery.
· Represent Search & Recommendations within wider technical discussions across different stakeholder groups, constantly broadening your understanding of our technology landscape so as to increase the effectiveness of your contribution.
· Take ownership for the delivery of specific outcomes, or work across wider groups in conjunction with programme management to deliver more significant outcomes. Drive us to constantly improve quality.
· Take ownership of non-functional outcomes within Search & Recommendations including performance, availability, reliability and security.
· Continually look for means to evolve and improve our technology, processes and practices.
The role will include ownership of the on-call rota to support our applications in production.
You will need
Experience relevant for the job:
· 5+ years of experience as a Java backend developer.
· Experience with Java 8+.
· Experience using SQL & NoSQL Databases.
· Innovative approach to problem solving.
· Skills relevant for the job:
· Written and verbal English communication skills.
· Problem solving, analysis and computational skills.
· Customer focus.
· Experience scaling systems.
· Experience working with multiple software development methodologies including Scrum & Kanban.
· Experience with reactive programming is considered a plus.
· Experience with eCommerce and search systems would be a nice to have, but not necessary.
· Experience with cloud platforms (e.g. AWS/Azure).
Our vision at Tesco is to become every customer’s favourite way to shop, whether they are at home or out on the move. Our core purpose is “Serving our customers, communities and planet a little better every day”. Serving means more than a transactional relationship with our customers. It means acting as a responsible and sustainable business for all stakeholders, for the communities we are part of, and for the planet.
We are proud to have an inclusive culture at Tesco where everyone truly feels able to be themselves. At Tesco, we not only celebrate diversity, but recognise the value and opportunity it brings. We’re committed to creating a workplace where differences are valued, and make sure that all colleagues are given the same opportunities. We’re a big business with diverse working patterns and many business areas which means that we can find something that works for you. Everyone is welcome at Tesco.
We have recently announced that we are moving to a more blended working week – combining office and remote working. Our offices continue to be where we connect, collaborate and innovate. Talk to us about how this can work for you.
Note: Should you be successful in your application, your employment will be subject to and conditional upon you providing your bank account details on your agreed start date.