The following content displays a map of the jobs location - Welwyn Garden City
System Engineer III - NSX
What’s in it for you
We offer excellent benefits that help make Tesco a great place to work! These include but are not limited to:
- Annual bonus scheme
- Holiday starting at 25 days plus a personal day (and bank holidays)
- Great colleague discounts and deals, saving you money on everyday purchases, utility bills for the home and more
- Retirement savings plan – save between 4% and 7.5% and Tesco will match your contribution
- Buy as you earn and Save as you earn share schemes
- Opportunities to get on – take advantage of our ongoing learning opportunities and award-winning training to help you achieve the career you want
About the role
The Infrastructure Engineering team design, develop, implement and operate all infrastructure used by Tesco Technology across our data centres, offices, stores and distribution centres. This encompasses multiple domains; private and public cloud, connectivity, end-user computing, CI/CD and monitoring toolkit. This includes both 3rd party and internally developed infrastructure applications and infrastructure that support the wider Tesco business.
As part of wider Infrastructure Team, Networks and Security Team design, develop, implement and operate all Network and Security infrastructure technologies that facilitate the both Infrastructure and the rest of Tesco Technology
Key activities include:
· Design, develop, implement and transition to operations large-scale, high-capacity and highly resilient network solutions that allow the rest of Infrastructure, Technology development teams and business colleagues to consume Networks and Security Service.
· Contribute to the strategy, objectives and high-level plans for Networks Infrastructure Service in order to best deliver requirements of Tesco Technology and thus the business.
· Defining and continually overseeing standards and simplification across the entire Networks estate.
· Driving innovation through transformation and Continual Service Improvement
· Work with suppliers, software and hardware to deliver the Technology and ultimately, business strategy
· Ensure that Network solutions where possible take advantage of modern automation technologies where possible through self-service APIs. This solutions will allow Networks and rest of Infrastructure
· Designing, delivering, implementing and operating new and re-usable infrastructure solutions to meet both technological, financial and business requirements.Collaborate with other infrastructure and application teams, to create appropriate infrastructure solutions to facilitate both their and ultimately the business requirements
You will be responsible for
Whilst specific responsibilities will be dependent upon the changing needs of the Tesco business, the following provides an overview of the role’s key responsibilities and measures:
· Design and deliver network solutions using existing network infrastructure. Where new Network technologies are being introduced, implement them and establish best practice for their adoption. Resolve incidents and problems associated with the technical area of responsibility.
· Contribute to the Technology Roadmap for Tesco Network Services.
· Evaluate new tools and techniques being able to understand their value and impact.
· Lead group design discussions on my area of expertise and be able to present with authority to a variety of audiences.
· Collaborate with other technical teams to understand their requirements and assist them consuming Infrastructure in the most seamless way possible.
· Keep my technical skills up to date and keep track of new technologies, understanding how they might benefit the Technology team and wider Tesco.
· Introduce automation to all aspects of my day to day work.
This role will best suit an individual who enjoys working as part of a team, is well organised, pragmatic and a lateral thinker with an inquisitive mind who is motivated to make change for the better and, most importantly, puts our customers first.
You will need
Skills / Experience Required
- Experience designing and deploying solutions for large, complex global organisations
- Analytical and structured approach to design, process and advanced trouble-shooting
- Work with Architecture to produce and maintain high quality HLD/LLD and maintain standard documentation for area of responsibility.
- Well organised self-starter who takes personal ownership and accountability at required levels of the work stream and project life cycles; willing to go the extra mile at every opportunity
- Builds and maintains positive relationships within and across teams
- Communicates effectively, able to deliver and present both written and verbal, designs, strategies and concepts clearly.
- Take ownership, to keep up-to-date and embrace the latest industry technologies and associated supplier solutions.
Required Technology Skills
- Extensive experience with VMware NSX and wider VMware software stack (vCentre, vRealize)
- Experience of Software Defined Networks
- Associated experience of automation technologies/configuration tools like GIT, Chef, Ansible or Puppet,
- Experience with Firewall technologies specifically Palo Alto
- Good understanding of Network Management technologies such as Panorama, BIGiQ along with protocols like SNMP and practical experience of associated Network Management & Alerting Tools
- Good understanding of routing protocols
Desirable Technical Skills
- Experience of load balancing platforms and technologies, preferably F5, Global/DNS balancing technologies, Cisco ACE or Citrix Netscaler along with associated Management Systems.
- Experience with Firewall technologies specifically Palo Alto
- Packet capture and debugging tools such as Wireshark
- Scripting knowledge (eg Python, Unix/Linux or PowerShell & Batch)
Our vision at Tesco is to become every customer’s favourite way to shop, whether they are at home or out on the move. Our core purpose is “Serving our customers, communities and planet a little better every day”. Serving means more than a transactional relationship with our customers. It means acting as a responsible and sustainable business for all stakeholders, for the communities we are part of, and for the planet.
We are proud to have an inclusive culture at Tesco where everyone truly feels able to be themselves. At Tesco, we not only celebrate diversity, but recognise the value and opportunity it brings. We’re committed to creating a workplace where differences are valued, and make sure that all colleagues are given the same opportunities. We’re a big business with diverse working patterns and many business areas which means that we can find something that works for you. Everyone is welcome at Tesco.
We have recently announced that we are moving to a more blended working week – combining office and remote working. Our offices continue to be where we connect, collaborate and innovate. Talk to us about how this can work for you.
Note: Should you be successful in your application, your employment will be subject to and conditional upon you providing your bank account details on your agreed start date.