The following content displays a map of the jobs location - London
Software Development Engineer - Search & Recs
This job has been closed.
What’s in it for you
- An annual bonus scheme which you can achieve up to 20% of base salary.
- Privilegecard (including a 2nd card for a family member) after 6 months service with 10% off most purchases at Tesco.
- Holiday starting at 25 days plus a personal day. `
- A retirement savings plan - 4%-7.5% contribution rate.
- Life Assurance - 5 x contractual pay.
- Buy As You Earn Scheme which allows you to buy Tesco shares and save tax after 3 months of service.
- Save As You Earn Scheme which gives you the opportunity to save direct from your pay for three or five years with the option of using your savings to buy Tesco shares at a discounted price after 1 year of service.
- Access to Tesco Learning and Development Academy, Safari. Books https://www.safaribooksonline.com,Pluralsight Technology Learning Platform https://www.pluralsight.com and Udemy Business https://business.udemy.com/
- Deals & Discounts through Tesco including Tesco Mobile & Tesco Bank.
- Deals and Discounts through many other external businesses.
- Cycle to work and Car Share Schemes.
- Onsite discounted Nuffield Health Gym: https://www.nuffieldhealth.com
- Subsidised Canteen.
About the role
The engineers in our Search & Recommendations team build the APIs that ensure that the results of our customer searches on all of our platforms are accurate and relevant, and the work you can do in the domain will go beyond the usual duties of a backend engineer. Apart from being exposed to cutting edge cloud and server-side technologies, you will work closely with data science teams, applying models and algorithms to improve the engine behind the services, helping users to discover the products they really want - and all of this happening in a handful of milliseconds! This is a fantastic opportunity to work in a domain where small changes lifting the performance of the APIs have a huge impact, both for customers but also in terms of £millions of annualised revenue for Tesco.
- Java 11+
- AWS / Azure
- Lucene / Elasticsearch
- Redis / MongoDB / Couchbase
- Kubernetes & Docker
We are responsible for the software throughout the lifecycle. We maintain a DevOps culture employing continuous integration and delivery, supporting our code through to production and beyond.
You will be responsible for
- Using in-depth knowledge of at least one major programming language, the framework, and the tool ecosystem to implement end-to-end systems without assistance.
- Translating requirements into tasks & code.
- Producing test-driven features and demonstrating your familiarity with the TDD cycle.
- Applying your understanding of cohesion and the SOLID principles to create well structured, maintainable software.
- Working with product teams to communicate and translate needs into product improvements.
- Leading group discussions on system design and architecture.
- Supporting production systems, resolving incidents, and performing root cause analysis.
- Sharing knowledge with the wider engineering community.
- Mentoring and developing others around you.
- Producing proof of concepts to evaluate new tools.
You will need
Experience relevant for the job:
- Commercial experience developing in Java and ability to deliver with little to no supervision.
- Experience with Java 8+
- Experience with cloud platforms (e.g. Azure, AWS, etc.).
- Experience with both SQL & NoSQL databases.
- Experience with Microservices
Our vision here at Tesco is to become every customer’s favourite way to shop, wherever they are and however they're shopping. We want our customers to be inspired by the solutions that we are building to help them find whatever they are looking for. Here’s how we’re doing it:
- We are building systems to solve real world problems at scale, with impact for tens of millions of people
- There are great engineers (and managers and product people) to learn from
- We are agile and enlightened in our approach to building software and teams
- There’s a great atmosphere and we work sustainably as a team
- Tesco has a “do the right thing” mentality
- We promote flexible working
We are proud to have an inclusive culture at Tesco where everyone is welcome and truly feels able to be themselves. At Tesco, we not only celebrate diversity, but recognise the value and opportunity it brings to enable us to serve our shoppers a little better every day. We strive to create a workforce that reflects our customers not only here in the UK, but worldwide. Our aim is to attract and welcome a diverse range applicants from all walks of life, offering many varying working patterns across our business, and we would love to hear from you!
If that sounds exciting, then we'd love to hear from you.