Lead Data Scientist (Big Data)
This job has been closed.
What’s in it for you
As part of Tesco’s philosophy ‘Every Little Helps’ and our commitment to our people we ensure every employee receives the necessary training and support to do their job and develop their career at Tesco.
As well as a very competitive basic salary we also offer an excellent benefits package:
- Award-winning defined benefit pension scheme
- Life Assurance
- 10% Staff Discount on Tesco purchases (received after six months in role)
- Shares in Success reward, based on company results
- Save As You Earn and Buy As You Earn discounted share purchase scheme
The position will be based at Head Office in Welwyn Garden City. Free parking is available onsite as well as a discounted gym, favourable petrol prices at the staff filling station and a free shuttle bus service between the office & Welwyn Garden City train station. We are also connected to London Kings Cross with a fast over-ground rail service that takes less than 30 minutes.
For more information and our vision please visit:
About the role
As a Data Scientist, you will be joining a growing, highly analytical team of Data Scientists focused on delivering a better understanding of the business based on big data. Our core work involves integrating and analysing Tesco and external data sources, building models that learn from these data, and providing tools that allow the business to make decisions from these models. For example we have worked on developing demand forecasting systems, optimising online prices, developing new picking algorithms, and linking web and mobile browsing data with store purchases to better understand the customer journey across all touch points.
We focus on solving complex real-world business problems that require an advanced understanding of statistics and algorithms. We always work alongside commercial teams to ensure that our work creates immediate, tangible and measurable business impact, via innovations deployed in the business within a 6-12 month timeframe.
You will be responsible for
As a Data Scientist (Big Data) you will have the following responsibilities:
- Analyse and link complex datasets so that they may be learned from.
- Build mathematical models on top of big data architectures to gain deep insights into opportunities to improve the customer experience and the Tesco business.
- Understand difficult business problems and prototype data science solutions.
- Scientifically analyse and evaluate the effectiveness of different approaches to guide future development and track the value created by the team.
- Communicate complex solutions in a clear, understandable way to non-experts.
- Promote data science across Tesco.
You will need
You are an experienced Data Scientist with a deep expertise in big data architectures and the mathematical background required to build suitable models that learn from our large data sets. You therefore tick the majority of the following points:
Deep Mathematical Understanding:
- A strong numerical degree and a good understanding of statistical and/or probabilistic techniques.
- The ability to use your academic knowledge to tackle specific business problems.
- Expertise in at least one specific big data / machine learning area (e.g. text mining, recommender systems, pattern recognition, regression models, probabilistic models, etc.)
- Experience with open source big-data technology, such as Apache Hadoop, Spark, Impala, Hive, Pig, MapReduce.
- Experience with different programming languages and good grasp of at least one language.
A background or strong understanding of the retail sector and/or ecommerce would be advantageous but is not required
Tesco is embracing data-science solutions full on, exploiting expert techniques to drive the business ambition of becoming a multi-channel leader. Tesco has over 3,000 stores, successful online and digital businesses and a truly innovative culture. Tesco is also one of the pioneers, in the retail domain, of extracting value from the large amounts of data it is producing on a daily basis. Data science is essential to make sense of these data and to help Tesco make better decisions on top of these insights.