The following content displays a map of the jobs location - Welwyn Garden City
Principal Systems Engineer - Infrastructure Architect
What’s in it for you
We’re all about the little helps. That’s why we give our wonderful colleagues bags of benefits. Including wellbeing services, an award-winning pension scheme and much, much more, our colleague reward package keeps on giving. And helps make every day a little better for you and your family. These include but are not limited to:
- Annual bonus scheme of up to 45% of base salary
- Car allowance of £7,320 per annum
- Holiday starting at 25 days plus a personal day (plus Bank holidays)
- Buy holiday salary sacrifice scheme (for salaried roles)
- Private medical insurance
- Retirement savings plan - save between 6% - 10% and Tesco will contribute 1.5 times this amount
- Life Assurance - 5 x contractual pay
- 26 weeks maternity and adoption leave (after 1 years’ service) at full pay, followed by 13 weeks of Statutory Maternity Pay or Statutory Adoption Pay, we also offer 4 weeks fully paid paternity leave
- The right to request flexible working from your first day with us
- Free 24/7 virtual GP service, Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) for you and your family, free access to a range of experts to support your mental wellbeing
- A Colleague Clubcard for you & a family member (after 3 months of service), giving you access to lots of discounts in-store & online
- Access to our colleague networks providing a space for colleagues to come together from a range of backgrounds. For more information about our colleague networks please click here
Click Here to read more about the full range of benefits we have available for our colleagues
About the role
The Infrastructure Engineering team design, develop and operate all infrastructure used by Tesco Technology across our data centres, offices, stores and distribution centres. This encompasses multiple domains; private and public cloud, connectivity, end-user computing, CI/CD and monitoring toolkit. This includes both 3rd party and internally developed infrastructure applications and infrastructure that support the wider Tesco business.
You will be responsible for
- Technical Leadership: Provide technical leadership in the design, development, and deployment of infrastructure systems. This includes working with product teams to make key decisions on technology selection, system design, and implementation strategies.
- Competency Development: Identify the key competencies required for systems engineering in Infrastructure. This could include technical knowledge, systems thinking, communication skills, problem solving, etc. Develop plans to train and upskill engineers and architects in these areas.
- Mentorship: Mentor junior engineers and architects and help them develop their skills and knowledge. This includes providing guidance, feedback, and support to help them grow in their roles.
- Cross-functional Collaboration: Foster a culture of collaboration and empowerment between architects and other teams including product, engineering and the broader technology teams.
- Stakeholder Management: Collaborate with other leaders in the organization to align architectural, product, and business strategies.
- Communication: Communicate architectural decisions and plans to stakeholders at all levels.
- Defining KPIs: Define and implement KPIs to measure the maturity of the architecture capability. Monitor and report on these KPIs, making recommendations for improvements as necessary.
- Continuous Improvement: Regularly review and update your capability framework based on feedback and changing market trends. This ensures your architecture practice remains relevant and effective.
You will need
- Have deep technical understanding of a wide range of technologies including both current and emerging trends. This knowledge should span across various domains such as cloud computing, networking, security, databases, and more.
- Keep my technical skills up to date and keep track of new technologies, understanding how they might benefit the Technology team and wider Tesco. Using a bigger picture perspective to approach issues, influence and make decisions.
- I will have a growth mindset and leverage feedback to drive continuous improvement.
- I collaborate across multifunctional departments and communicate effectively with stakeholders at all levels
- I anticipate and overcome obstacles with a pragmatic approach to achieve goals and commitments. While exhibiting high responsiveness by reacting quickly and positively to significant and major events
- I have developed high levels of emotional intelligence and use my empathy skills to influence positively the outcomes of all interactions
- I am able to coach colleagues from all disciplines to have a product mindset enabling them to value-centric in their decision making
- I Understand how the procurement process works and can effectively apply the knowledge in planning and influencing product roadmaps.
- I have experience contributing or running RFP processes
Our vision at Tesco is to become every customer's favourite way to shop, whether they are at home or out on the move. Our core purpose is ‘Serving our customers, communities and planet a little better every day’. Serving means more than a transactional relationship with our customers. It means acting as a responsible and sustainable business for all stakeholders, for the communities we are part of and for the planet.
We are proud to have an inclusive culture at Tesco where everyone truly feels able to be themselves. At Tesco, we not only celebrate diversity, but recognise the value and opportunity it brings. We're committed to creating a workplace where differences are valued, and make sure that all colleagues are given the same opportunities. We’re proud to have been accredited Disability Confident Leader and we’re committed to providing a fully inclusive and accessible recruitment process. For further information on the accessibility support we can offer, please click here.
We’re a big business and we can offer a range of diverse full-time & part-time working patterns across our many business areas, which means that we can find something that works for you. We work in a more blended pattern - combining office and remote working. Our offices will continue to be where we connect, collaborate and innovate. If you are applying internally, please speak to the Hiring Manager about how this can work for you - Everyone is welcome at Tesco.