The following content displays a map of the jobs location - Welwyn Garden City
Technical Programme Manager - Data Platform
What’s in it for you
We’re all about the little helps. That’s why we give our wonderful colleagues bags of benefits. Including wellbeing services, an award-winning pension scheme and much, much more, our colleague reward package keeps on giving. And helps make every day a little better for you and your family. These include but are not limited to:
- Annual bonus scheme of up to 20% of base salary
- Holiday starting at 25 days plus a personal day (plus Bank holidays)
- Buy holiday salary sacrifice scheme (for salaried roles)
- Private medical insurance
- Retirement savings plan - save between 4% and 7.5% and Tesco will match your contribution
- Life Assurance - 5 x contractual pay
- 26 weeks maternity and adoption leave (after 1 years’ service) at full pay, followed by 13 weeks of Statutory Maternity Pay or Statutory Adoption Pay, we also offer 4 weeks fully paid paternity leave
- The right to request flexible working from your first day with us
- Free 24/7 virtual GP service, Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) for you and your family, free access to a range of experts to support your mental wellbeing
- A Colleague Clubcard for you & a family member (after 3 months of service), giving you access to lots of discounts in-store & online
- Great colleague deals and discounts, saving you money on everyday purchases, eating out and utility bills for the home
- Access to our colleague networks providing a space for colleagues to come together from a range of backgrounds. For more information about our colleague networks please click here
- Opportunities to get on - take advantage of our ongoing learning opportunities and award-winning training, to help you achieve the job and career you want
Click Here to read more about the full range of benefits we have available for our colleagues
About the role
Tesco's Data and Analytics offering leverages a vast pool of business data, compiled by our Data Engineering team and hosted on TAP, our Hadoop and Teradata platforms. This data is accessible to thousands of colleagues across our Stores and Head Offices, empowering them to derive insights, make informed decisions, and formulate new ideas to deliver more value to our customers.
As a member of the D&A Platform team, this TPM role is instrumental in driving technological advancements in the coming years. This pivotal role involves collaboration with several internal Platform teams, multiple Data Engineering/Analytics and Data Science teams, as well as our Product and Business teams. It's a large and complex environment that offers plenty of interest and challenge from both a people and technology perspective.
We are currently undergoing a transformation that shifts Hadoop from a packaged solution to a more Open Source/loosely coupled software model, linked to new hardware and object storage. Our focus is on projects that drive change and provide stable service across multiple instances tied to various business needs.
You will be responsible for
Whilst specific responsibilities will be dependent upon the changing needs of the Tesco business, the following provides an overview of the role’s key responsibilities and measures:
Deliver programmes with business and/or technical risks
Optimise or use a standard programme delivery methodology for delivering programme goals (e.g., agile, waterfall, iterative)
Bring together, coordinate and energise virtual technology teams to deliver programme goals
Create and track a plan to deliver the programme goals, including the technical implementation plan
Understand trade-offs and resulting impacts; make impacts visible to Product, Infrastructure or Engineering for the right decision to be made
Managing dependencies, delivery timelines and implementations plans, using my knowledge of technical architecture
Appreciating and responding to delivery challenges, using my knowledge of engineering best practices and/or infrastructure implementations
Understand technology concepts, grasp new ones quickly and appreciate their implications on delivery
Effectively manage major incidents, ensuring stakeholders are updated with the right information to drive the correct decisions
Collaborate with the Product and Engineering teams to define annual budgetary requirements
Build positive relationships with suppliers & external stakeholders to deliver software or professional services
Coach peers and other roles, teaching where require.
You will need
The ideal candidate for this role should have demonstrated the following key skills in their current and past roles:
- Proven track record in delivering Data & Analytics programmes.
- Experience in delivering technology related to infrastructure across multiple teams in various geographies.
- Ability to build credible relationships and influence senior management & leadership teams.
- Strong skills in Project, Stakeholder & Programme management.
- Proficiency in vendor management and negotiation, with a focus on ensuring quality delivery.
- Exceptional reporting skills for programs and financial forecasting.
- Excellent communication & influencing skills and adaptability to changes.
- Expertise in Risk and Issue Management.
- Accreditation in Project Management (e.g., Prince 2, PMI PMP, MSP) and experience with the ITIL Service Management Framework and Principles.
These skills are crucial for success in this complex and dynamic environment. The candidate should be ready to drive change and deliver stable service across multiple instances tied to various business needs.
Our vision at Tesco is to become every customer's favourite way to shop, whether they are at home or out on the move. Our core purpose is ‘Serving our customers, communities and planet a little better every day’. Serving means more than a transactional relationship with our customers. It means acting as a responsible and sustainable business for all stakeholders, for the communities we are part of and for the planet.
We are proud to have an inclusive culture at Tesco where everyone truly feels able to be themselves. At Tesco, we not only celebrate diversity, but recognise the value and opportunity it brings. We're committed to creating a workplace where differences are valued, and make sure that all colleagues are given the same opportunities. We’re proud to have been accredited Disability Confident Leader and we’re committed to providing a fully inclusive and accessible recruitment process. For further information on the accessibility support we can offer, please click here.
We’re a big business and we can offer a range of diverse full-time & part-time working patterns across our many business areas, which means that we can find something that works for you. We work in a more blended pattern - combining office and remote working. Our offices will continue to be where we connect, collaborate and innovate. If you are applying internally, please speak to the Hiring Manager about how this can work for you - Everyone is welcome at Tesco.