The following content displays a map of the jobs location - Welwyn Garden City
SE III - Cloud Systems Engineer - DevOps Focus
What’s in it for you
We offer excellent benefits that help make Tesco a great place to work! These include but are not limited to:
- Annual bonus scheme
- Holiday starting at 25 days plus a personal day (plus Bank holidays)
- Retirement savings plan - save between 4% and 7.5% and Tesco will match your contribution
- Life Assurance - 5 x contractual pay
- 24/7 virtual GP service, Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) for you and your family, free access to a range of experts to support your mental wellbeing
- The right to request flexible working from your first day with us
- 26 weeks maternity and adoption leave (after 1 years’ service) at full pay, followed by 13 weeks of Statutory Maternity Pay or Statutory Adoption Pay and we also offer 4 weeks fully paid paternity leave
- Great colleague deals and discounts, saving you money on everyday purchases, eating out and utility bills for the home
- Access to our colleague networks providing a space for colleagues to come together from a range of backgrounds. For more information about our colleague networks please click here
- Opportunities to get on - take advantage of our ongoing learning opportunities and award winning training, to help you achieve the job and career you want
Click Here to read more about the benefits we have available for our colleagues
About the role
Exciting Opportunity at Tesco Technology:
Join as a Cloud Platform Engineer in our dynamic Cloud Platform Engineering (CPE) team! Your core purpose will be on enhancing our Public Cloud presence, particularly in Microsoft Azure, supporting internal development teams and central platforms.
We're on the lookout for a motivated engineer with a strong "DevOps" mindset. In this role, you'll contribute to our emphasis on "Infrastructure-as-Code" (IaC), and work to enact centralised governance controls. The goal is to streamline adherence to organisational standards, best practices, and establish guardrails where needed, reducing friction in the process – making doing the right thing easy!
We value fresh perspectives! If you're someone who can challenge the status quo, drawing on your past experiences while aligning with Tesco Technology's context, this role could be the perfect fit for you.
You will be responsible for
You will be responsible for
This is an individual contributor (IC) role and does not require people management. Key responsibilities as an IC within the CPE team will cover;
- Designing and Implementing Cloud Infrastructure:
- Delivering Terraform, Bicep and ARM to automate the setup, scaling and management of resources. The key focus will be to reduce friction of teams in adopting best practices.
- Ensuring Security and Compliance:
- Delivered through proposed/implemented centralised controls, or through reducing the friction of consuming organisationally aligned infrastructure.
- Continuous Integration and Deployment (CI/CD):
- Delivering workflows that can automate deployments, as well as provide E2E testing of components developed.
- Collaboration and Documentation:
- Working with the wider CPE team to document centralised constructs, as well as any modules or other artefacts produced; creating documentation that can be understood by a variety of audiences.
You will need
You’ll need to demonstrate experience with,
- Proficiency with common IaC Tools: 5+ Years
- Demonstrable experience with Terraform required. An understanding of ARM and Bicep is desirable, but not required.
- Minimum 5 years' experience in a delivery role.
- CI/CD Expertise: 5 + Years
- Working within a similar DevOps or Cloud Engineering role, with an understanding of common tooling.
- Working understanding of GitHub, GitHub Actions and Azure DevOps preferable.
- Proficiency in at least one scripting language: 5 + Years
- PowerShell preferable, but Go, Bash and Python also beneficial.
- Cloud Infrastructure Knowledge: 5+ Years
- Focus on Microsoft Azure. Knowledge of other cloud platforms may be helpful, but not required.
- Familiarity with Role Based Access Control, policy, and other common governance constructs.
- Familiarity with Entra ID desirable, but not essential.
- Exposure/understanding of containerisation:
- Covering Kubernetes and Docker, with a focus on specific platform tooling that provides this such as AKS, Container Apps and Container Instances.
- Effective Documentation and Communication Abilities:
- Proficient in articulating problems and solutions clearly, catering to stakeholders with varying levels of understanding.
- Building Strong Relationships:
- Collaborative work with diverse colleagues to drive the team's primary objectives forward.
- Tech Enthusiast at the Forefront:
- Demonstrates a passion for technology, staying abreast of the latest advancements.
- Flexible yet Persistent:
- Advocates for customer-centric approaches while maintaining a pragmatic outlook on feasibility.
- Exceptional Delivery Skills:
- Demonstrates a strong ability to deliver results effectively.
- Proactive, Independent, and Resilient: Identifies both value propositions and deficiencies, taking ownership of issues and ensuring resolution. Open to constructive challenges.
Our vision at Tesco is to become every customer's favourite way to shop, whether they are at home or out on the move. Our core purpose is ‘Serving our customers, communities and planet a little better every day’. Serving means more than a transactional relationship with our customers. It means acting as a responsible and sustainable business for all stakeholders, for the communities we are part of and for the planet.
We are proud to have an inclusive culture at Tesco where everyone truly feels able to be themselves. At Tesco, we not only celebrate diversity, but recognise the value and opportunity it brings. We're committed to creating a workplace where differences are valued, and make sure that all colleagues are given the same opportunities. We’re proud to have been accredited Disability Confident Leader and we’re committed to providing a fully inclusive and accessible recruitment process. For further information on the accessibility support we can offer, please click here.
We’re a big business and we can offer a range of diverse full-time & part-time working patterns across our many business areas, which means that we can find something that works for you. We work in a more blended pattern - combining office and remote working. Our offices will continue to be where we connect, collaborate and innovate. If you are applying internally, please speak to the Hiring Manager about how this can work for you - Everyone is welcome at Tesco.