The following content displays a map of the jobs location - London or Welwyn Garden City
Software Development Manager | Customer API
What’s in it for you
We offer excellent benefits that help make Tesco a great place to work! These include but are not limited to:
- Annual bonus scheme
- Holiday starting at 25 days plus a personal day (plus Bank holidays)
- Retirement savings plan - save between 4% and 7.5% and Tesco will match your contribution
- Life Assurance - 5 x contractual pay
- 24/7 virtual GP service, Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) for you and your family, free access to a range of experts to support your mental wellbeing
- Great colleague deals and discounts, saving you money on everyday purchases, eating out and utility bills for the home
- Access to our colleague networks providing a space for colleagues to come together from a range of backgrounds. For more information about our colleague networks please click here
- Opportunities to get on - take advantage of our ongoing learning opportunities and award winning training, to help you achieve the job and career you want
Click Here to read more about the benefits we have available for our colleagues
About the role
Tesco Tills is an in house built product underpinned by Tesco’s retail platform. We aim to give customers and colleagues the best possible experience whilst reducing our cost to serve. The Tesco Tills retail platform leverages best practices and technologies like SOA, Docker, Service mesh, SRE.
You will lead the team responsible for the receipt functionality on the tills. You will work with product managers to explore ways of making our interactions with our customers as rich and fully features as possible. You will work with the rest of the retail platform to expand the range of things we can provide to our customers in store, including coupons, vouchers, marketing, e-top ups, etc. You will also look at innovative things we can do in this space including email receipts and receipt customization per customer
You will be responsible for
As a Software Development Manager, your primary responsibility is to build and maintain a passionate, engaged, and effective development team of engineers. You'll do this by taking a deep interest in the people that report to you, making sure they are happy, motivated, and challenged in what they are doing, guiding them to reach pragmatic technical solutions, and keep yourself close to the code (without becoming a blocker). You'll also take ownership when things go wrong but celebrate success collectively and, in short, act as a multiplier of your team’s effectiveness. Specifically, you will:
- Foster the careers of the engineers reporting into you by finding opportunities for growth, coaching, addressing concerns, and if necessary, implementing performance management.
- Grow the capability of Tesco Technology as a whole by becoming involved in our engineering hiring and being passionate about building successful and diverse teams.
- Work closely with Product Management to identify and minimise risk within an outcome and help prioritise and evolve a workable technical solution ready for delivery.
- Represent the team within wider technical discussions across different business groups, constantly broadening your understanding of our technology landscape so as to increase the effectiveness of your contribution.
- Take ownership for the delivery of specific outcomes, or work across wider groups in conjunction with programme management to deliver more significant outcomes. Drive us to constantly improve quality.
- Continually look for means to evolve and improve our technology, processes, and practices.
You will need
- Experience with management of software engineering teams of 4+ people in size.
- Good knowledge of Java and the associated ecosystem.
- Experience of using agile methodologies.
- Hands-on experience of building and supporting reliable, operationally robust, and distributed Java applications/products.
Skills relevant for the job
- A high degree of emotional intelligence: you are aware of your own emotions, how you appear and can self-reflect on your actions. You can empathise with others and modify your behaviour and style accordingly.
- Problem-solving, analysis, and computational skills: you are comfortable designing systems and reasoning about them. When tackling problems, you take a detailed and logical approach to solving them and retaining ownership through to resolution.
- Customer focus: you can find the right balance between outcome delivery and technical excellence. You place the needs of our customers above the needs of you and the team.
- Written and verbal communication skills: you can communicate effectively and efficiently, taking into account the nature of your audience.
- Any previous experience of having led a globally distributed software engineering team would be a huge plus.
Our vision at Tesco is to become every customer's favourite way to shop, whether they are at home or out on the move. Our core purpose is ‘Serving our customers, communities and planet a little better every day’. Serving means more than a transactional relationship with our customers. It means acting as a responsible and sustainable business for all stakeholders, for the communities we are part of and for the planet.
We are proud to have an inclusive culture at Tesco where everyone truly feels able to be themselves. At Tesco, we not only celebrate diversity, but recognise the value and opportunity it brings. We're committed to creating a workplace where differences are valued, and make sure that all colleagues are given the same opportunities. We’re proud to have been accredited Disability Confident Leader and we’re committed to providing a fully inclusive and accessible recruitment process. For further information on the accessibility support we can offer, please click here.
We’re a big business and we can offer a range of diverse full-time & part-time working patterns across our many business areas, which means that we can find something that works for you. We work in a more blended pattern - combining office and remote working. Our offices will continue to be where we connect, collaborate and innovate. Please talk to us about how this can work for you - Everyone is welcome at Tesco.