The following content displays a map of the jobs location - London
Technical Product Manager - Identity
What’s in it for you
We offer excellent benefits that help make Tesco a great place to work! These include but are not limited to:
- Annual bonus scheme
- Holiday starting at 25 days plus a personal day (and bank holidays)
- Great colleague discounts and deals, saving you money on everyday purchases, utility bills for the home and more
- Retirement savings plan – save between 4% and 7.5% and Tesco will match your contribution
- Buy as you earn and Save as you earn share schemes
- Opportunities to get on – take advantage of our ongoing learning opportunities and award-winning training to help you achieve the career you want
About the role
For the last 24 months, Tesco has been scaling rapidly both vertically and horizontally. Demands for products and services have never been higher and the Identity service has been the backbone of this response enabling most of the features provided by the wider Tesco retail platform.
Identity is a part of the Customer APIs team which is a team of Product Managers responsible for running the development, strategy, and vision for some of Tesco’s core technology foundations – a Retail Platform forming the building blocks of how Tesco masters, handles, and authenticates customer data.
Due to expansion, the Identity Team in the Customer APIs is looking to bring in a Product Manager to work with our engineering teams to lead on strategy and develop the roadmap with a particular focus on our internal processes, self-service capabilities and partner with our engineering, and design teams to deliver coordinated backend infrastructure and services with focus on resilience, security and usability of Identify Platform.
The Product Manager in this role will work with consumers and internal partners and make plans come to life by leading two cross-functional, and interconnected, scrum teams.
This a Product Manager role therefore standing over two of our ‘theme teams’ (sub domain scrum teams) within Tesco Identity. It is to provide Product Management steer and direction to two of these themes:
Resilience and Security: Optimising our Platform’s overall stability/ availability and recoverability, to deliver outstanding levels of service to the Tesco ecosystem
Developer Experience: Improving opportunities for the Developer community (both within, and outside, of Tesco) to dovetail into the Tesco Identity platform
The Two Main Responsibilities Would Be
- To build and surface a system that offers information and resources to help users find straightforward answers and resolve their technical issues in the most easy, secure, and accessible way with little or no human involvement.
- To harden the infrastructure and build up its sturdiness to serve the growing demand and scale by considering availability, capacity, interoperability, performance, adaptability, security, and usability for B2B customers.
The candidate will need to be able to understand Tesco’s technical landscape, and its API infrastructure and deliver value to the organization by making it easy for others to demonstrate the technology. A solid understanding of API design and best practices is crucial, whilst prior experience working with authentication systems, UX, and technical writing skills are needed.
You will be responsible for
- Getting involved and working with teams of developers to deliver value iteratively and with good understanding of the development processes.
- Hands on experience with self Service Systems or other systems such as CRM, ERP, MSP where consumers and developers’ interaction is important.
- Strong technical skills working predominately with APIs, Cloud Services, and Identity frameworks – ideally with an engineering background and understanding technical trade-offs and their impact on the product and service.
- Ability to understand and explain sophisticated problems in simple terms and plain and simple English both verbally and in writing.
- Owning the development plans: shaping the overall strategy, defining, and prioritizing business requirements, and carry insights from every corner of Tesco (customers, engineering, security, infrastructure) to design and build the best product.
- Staying Curious and understanding that creativity and growth starts with curious approach and asking the right questions.
- Work with other Product Managers, architects, and the development team to deliver the roadmap using agile methodologies: prioritizing requirements, answering development questions, and resolving issues, and always putting the consumer first.
This role will best suit an individual who enjoys working as part of a team, is well organized, pragmatic and a lateral problem solver with an inquisitive mind who is motivated to make change for the better and, most meaningfully has a phenomenal consumer and customer focus and passion for working on security outcomes and platform experiences.
You will need
Skills Relevant for The Job
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- A methodical/ analytical approach and phenomenal problem-solving skills
- Attitude and the ability to learn new product area/domain quickly
- Great presentation and persuasion skills
- Great teammate who could work collaboratively with other members of the team
- Ownership, responsiveness, and commitment towards assigned work
- Strong decision making and prioritization skills, especially when multiple trade-offs are involved, and faster decision are required
- Expertise of Agile methodologies, writing effective user stories/ acceptance criteria
- Great communication skills and can gain the respect and trust of team members and others working with you
- Focus on simplicity and value together with being able to put yourself in the shoes of others (empathy)
Experience Relevant for This Job
- Good domain expertise in the relevant functional area/ a large complex domain
- Knowledge and experience of product management best practice and methodologies and strong technical acumen
- Technically competent to influence and understand the solution context and approach and aid engineering in estimating the complexity of work being requested.
- Understands the impact Tech debt is causing and the value Tech upgrades can bring in and can hold the objective conversations with your technology counterparts to prioritize it during any sprint.
- Grasps Authentication Platform whilst considering essential features that allow it to carry out its mission in turbulent and demanding times.
Our vision at Tesco is to become every customer's favourite way to shop, whether they are at home or out on the move. Our core purpose is ‘Serving our customers, communities and planet a little better every day’. Serving means more than a transactional relationship with our customers. It means acting as a responsible and sustainable business for all stakeholders, for the communities we are part of and for the planet.
We are proud to have an inclusive culture at Tesco where everyone truly feels able to be themselves. At Tesco, we not only celebrate diversity, but recognise the value and opportunity it brings. We're committed to creating a workplace where differences are valued, and make sure that all colleagues are given the same opportunities. We’re proud to have been accredited Disability Confident Leader and we’re committed to providing a fully inclusive and accessible recruitment process. For further information on the accessibility support we can offer, please click here.
We’re a big business and we can offer a range of diverse full-time & part-time working patterns across our many business areas, which means that we can find something that works for you. We work in a more blended pattern - combining office and remote working. Our offices will continue to be where we connect, collaborate and innovate. Please talk to us about how this can work for you - Everyone is welcome at Tesco.