The following content displays a map of the jobs location - Welwyn Garden City
Mainframe Database Engineer - DB2
What’s in it for you
We offer excellent benefits that help make Tesco a great place to work! These include but are not limited to:
- Annual bonus scheme
- Holiday starting at 25 days plus a personal day (and bank holidays)
- Great colleague discounts and deals, saving you money on everyday purchases, utility bills for the home and more
- Retirement savings plan – save between 4% and 7.5% and Tesco will match your contribution
- Buy as you earn and Save as you earn share schemes
- Opportunities to get on – take advantage of our ongoing learning opportunities and award-winning training to help you achieve the career you want
About the role
• Participates in Project meetings , design reviews and implement solutions based on business requirements as per Tesco standards
• Closely cooperate with second level support service team(s), provide third level support
• Actively work on automation wherever possible (maintenance, release management, monitoring, backups/recovery/refreshes ..)
• Define and implement database strategy, Capacity Planning and security standards, keep products on latest possible versions
• Drives IT solutions to ensure they meet the business needs balanced with a pragmatic and integrated approach to the design of technical solutions.
• Perform tests and evaluations regularly to ensure data security, privacy and integrity
• Determine, enforce and document database policies, procedures and standards
• Performs complex analyses and reviews applications being released into production.
• Provide your professional knowledges and skills to DEVS during the developments, analyze and tune the code, ensure that development satisfy Tesco standards
• Provide a strategic database direction for the organisation
• Working in a cross-cultural team and communicate effectively
You will be responsible for
• Mainframe DB2 Database Engineer is responsible for designing database, setting up, managing, practices, processes and tools that enable the business of Database development & maintenance.
• The successful candidate will have a deep understanding of development and operations on mainframe DB2 databases, could be improved by better process improvement, tools, automation, and metrics.
• Lead or participate in database management activities including designing highly complex logical and physical databases
• Implement and maintaining the DB2 Databases with High Availability features using tablespace Partitioning, Resolve database performance issues, database capacity issues, DR and other data issues
• Plan for and execute required database upgrades or migrations Work with database admin tools like CA Platinum / IBM Admin tools
• Design and implement security solutions
• Develop management policies, procedures, standards, and best practices
• Collaborate and consult with peers, colleagues and managers to resolve issues and achieve goals
You will need
• Expertise in Mainframe DB2 database design, infrastructure architecture disciplines, and business processes
• Ability to work collaboratively in teams and develop meaningful relationships to achieve common goals.
• 10+ years of Mainframe DB2 DBA on a data sharing experience with an emphasis on Database Administration/Engineering Database design, Performance monitoring & tuning
• Expert knowledge of DB2 for z/OS along with mainframe related tools such as CA Platinum for monitoring, ISPF, SMS, SMF, REXX programming
• Exposure on DB2 DBA /zOS v12
• Capable of creating the roadmap, processes, best practices, standards, and strategies for continuous improvement, resiliency, and scalability
• Proven background on database engineering, automation, monitoring, performance engineering design and implementations
Our vision at Tesco is to become every customer’s favourite way to shop, whether they are at home or out on the move. Our core purpose is “Serving our customers, communities and planet a little better every day”. Serving means more than a transactional relationship with our customers. It means acting as a responsible and sustainable business for all stakeholders, for the communities we are part of, and for the planet.
We are proud to have an inclusive culture at Tesco where everyone truly feels able to be themselves. At Tesco, we not only celebrate diversity, but recognise the value and opportunity it brings. We’re committed to creating a workplace where differences are valued, and make sure that all colleagues are given the same opportunities. We’re a big business with diverse working patterns and many business areas which means that we can find something that works for you. Everyone is welcome at Tesco.
We have recently announced that we are moving to a more blended working week – combining office and remote working. Our offices continue to be where we connect, collaborate and innovate. Talk to us about how this can work for you.
Note: Should you be successful in your application, your employment will be subject to and conditional upon you providing your bank account details on your agreed start date.
We’re proud to have been accredited Disability Confident Leader and we’re committed to providing a fully inclusive and accessible recruitment process. For further information on the accessibility support we can offer, please click here.