The following content displays a map of the jobs location - Welwyn Garden City
Software Development Engineer II – Tesco Labs
What’s in it for you
We offer excellent benefits that help make Tesco a great place to work! These include but are not limited to:
- Annual bonus scheme
- Holiday starting at 25 days plus a personal day (and bank holidays)
- Great colleague discounts and deals, saving you money on everyday purchases, utility bills for the home and more
- Retirement savings plan – save between 4% and 7.5% and Tesco will match your contribution
- Buy as you earn and Save as you earn share schemes
- Opportunities to get on – take advantage of our ongoing learning opportunities and award-winning training to help you achieve the career you want
About the role
As an engineer in Tesco Labs, you will focus on creating applications to demonstrate innovative concepts or new disruptive technologies. Working with product managers and UX designers you will be responsible for rapid prototyping, testing hypotheses, solving problems and developing new propositions to the required level of performance and scalability.
Being in a research lab environment you’ll be an early adopter, maintaining a good knowledge of the latest technologies and devices (both consumer and business), keeping abreast of technological developments, and looking for opportunities to use those new technologies to benefit customers or colleagues.
You’ll need to be a great coach, sharing your knowledge amongst other team members, and advising, mentoring, teaching and inspiring our Technology graduate groups during their placements in the Tesco Labs team.
You will be responsible for
- Working with our product, research, and program teams to ideate, define propositions, and define how success will be measured
- Translating requirements into tasks & code
- Using your knowledge of the required languages and frameworks to add and refine features, creating a demonstrable proof of concept
- Supporting both development and production systems, resolving incidents, and performing root cause analysis
- Sharing knowledge within the team and the wider engineering community
You will need
Experience relevant for the job:
- Knowledge of React.js would be useful
- Good knowledge of the full development stack, including databases & APIs
- Experience using SQL & NoSQL Databases
- Experience with cloud platforms (e.g. Azure)
- Exposure to the DevOps model
- Any experience with additional technologies including Machine Learning/AI, image or voice recognition, electronics, etc. would be very beneficial but not essential
Skills relevant for the job:
- A passion for technology, thinking differently and trying new things
- A positive and robust mental attitude with the ability to handle setbacks
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, dynamic, and rapidly changing environment
- Strong initiative, with ability to research new technologies and demonstrate and how they can benefit our business
- Great communication and presentation skills, ability to speak to stakeholders at all levels
- Problem solving, analysis and computational skills
- Customer focus
- Innovative approach to problem solving
Our vision at Tesco is to become every customer’s favourite way to shop, whether they are at home or out on the move. Our core purpose is “Serving our customers, communities and planet a little better every day”. Serving means more than a transactional relationship with our customers. It means acting as a responsible and sustainable business for all stakeholders, for the communities we are part of, and for the planet.
We are proud to have an inclusive culture at Tesco where everyone truly feels able to be themselves. At Tesco, we not only celebrate diversity, but recognise the value and opportunity it brings. We’re committed to creating a workplace where differences are valued, and make sure that all colleagues are given the same opportunities. We’re a big business with diverse working patterns and many business areas which means that we can find something that works for you. Everyone is welcome at Tesco.
We have recently announced that we are moving to a more blended working week – combining office and remote working. Our offices continue to be where we connect, collaborate and innovate. Talk to us about how this can work for you.
Note: Should you be successful in your application, your employment will be subject to and conditional upon you providing your bank account details on your agreed start date.
We’re proud to have been accredited Disability Confident Leader and we’re committed to providing a fully inclusive and accessible recruitment process. For further information on the accessibility support we can offer, please click here.