The following content displays a map of the jobs location - Shire Park, Welwyn Garden City, Hertfordshire
Assistant Buyers - Fresh & Packaged Food
The job has expired.
What’s in it for you
We offer excellent benefits that help make Tesco a great place to work! These include but are not limited to:
- Annual bonus scheme.
- Holiday starting at 20 days plus a personal day rising to 22 days after 12 months (plus 8 Bank holidays).
- Retirement savings plan - save between 4% and 7.5% and Tesco will match your contribution.
- Life Assurance - 5 x contractual pay.
- Great colleague deals and discounts, saving you money on everyday purchases, eating out and utility bills for the home.
- Opportunities to get on - take advantage of our ongoing learning opportunities and award-winning training, to help you achieve the job and career you want.
Click here to read more about the benefits we have available for our colleagues.
About the role
Are you passionate about retail and progressing your career in buying with Britain's largest retailer?
Then look no further because we are always on the lookout for dedicated individuals who want to start or develop their buying career within Commercial Product - Fresh & Packaged Food, categories vary & could include Fresh Meat, Pet, Household, Beauty, Bakery, Hot Beverages, Snacks.
You will be working in a fast-paced, rewarding environment with a dynamic & hardworking team & we will provide you with excellent training & development throughout your buying journey with us!
If we stock it, we buy it! We responsibly source and buy great quality products that allow us to give our customers the best offers, range, quality and price. In recent months & in response to a shift in customer shopping habits we have increased capacity from 600,000 online delivery slots to over 1.5 million a week - whichever area of Commercial Product you join, your work has the potential to positively affect the lives of millions of Tesco customers every week.
If you would like to register your interest in a Buying position at Tesco, please apply now, we would love to hear from you! These roles are based on our Welwyn Garden City Campus in Hertfordshire.
The recruiter for this vacancy is Daniela Stoller.
You will be responsible for
- Supporting your manager to manage supplier performance, identifying potential new suppliers and supporting them to build long term supplier relationships
- Negotiating (with support) supplier terms agreements (incl. returns), improving the trading position sustainably
- Using insight tools to analyse and understand performance issues and opportunities
- Conducting regular store & website visits and reviewing customer insights, trends and competitor activity, helping shape our future product and range requirements for our customers
- Report and analysis preparation for your manager
- Helping to build and source customer/market insight led ranges and product innovation
- Negotiating with suppliers to agree and deliver market leading buy/move/sell plans for your areas aligned to the customer plan & category strategy with support from your manager
- Supporting delivery of trade, promotions & events plan, striving to exceed KPI's, drive footfall and forecast accurately
- Managing samples (incl. obtaining them from suppliers as well as storage and disposal)
- Working with suppliers and quality teams to ensure product quality is achieved and maintained
- Ensuring new products and suppliers are set up accurately and on time
- Maintaining your department’s systems and trackers
- Adhering to all Tesco policies, storage and handover protocols and successfully completing all your training
- Following our Business Code of Conduct and always acting with integrity and due diligence
You will need
- A passion for fast paced retail or experience of working in an FMCG organisation
- Influencing, stakeholder management & negotiation skills
- Able to analyse data
- Product Development/Sourcing experience is desirable but not crucial
Our vision at Tesco is to become every customer's favourite way to shop, whether they are at home or out on the move. Our core purpose is ‘Serving our customers, communities and planet a little better every day’. Serving means more than a transactional relationship with our customers. It means acting as a responsible and sustainable business for all stakeholders, for the communities we are part of and for the planet.
We are proud to have an inclusive culture at Tesco where everyone truly feels able to be themselves. At Tesco, we not only celebrate diversity, but recognise the value and opportunity it brings. We're committed to creating a workplace where differences are valued, and make sure that all colleagues are given the same opportunities. We're a big business with diverse working patterns and many business areas which means that we can find something that works for you. Everyone is welcome at Tesco.
We have recently announced that we will be moving towards a more blended working week – combining office and remote working. Our offices will continue to be where we connect, collaborate and innovate. Please talk to us to about how this can work for you.
NOTE: Should you be successful in your application, your offer will be subject to and conditional upon you providing your bank account details on your agreed start date.