The following content displays a map of the jobs location - Welwyn Garden City
Technical Programme Manager – Infrastructure Delivery
This job has been closed.
What’s in it for you
We offer excellent benefits that help make Tesco a great place to work! These include but are not limited to:
- Annual bonus scheme
- Holiday starting at 25 days plus a personal day (and bank holidays)
- Great colleague discounts and deals, saving you money on everyday purchases, utility bills for the home and more
- Retirement savings plan – save between 4% and 7.5% and Tesco will match your contribution
- Buy as you earn and Save as you earn share schemes
- Opportunities to get on – take advantage of our ongoing learning opportunities and award-winning training to help you achieve the career you want
About the role
About Infrastructure Delivery
The Global Infrastructure Team design, develop and operate the Technology Infrastructure which underpins Tesco’s ability to serve customers and support colleagues. Our responsibilities span technologies across data centres, offices, stores and distribution centres and the global network which connects them. The global team is distributed across the UK, Central Europe, and India.
The Infrastructure Delivery Team manages the delivery of Infrastructure changes across Technology. During a year the team works on over 100 different projects (with approx. 40 - 50 concurrently at any one time). These span across the whole of our businesses from stores, distribution and office.
This is a key role which will involve engagement with engineering teams based in the UK, Central Europe, and India as well as a range of stakeholders across UK and CE. You will be responsible for delivering the Infrastructure required to support our key technology delivery.
An ideal candidate will not only be technically proficient but will also have great leadership and soft skills. A willingness to learn and flex based on the demands of the programme are key to succeeding in this role.
Working within a team of experienced Technical Programme Managers, you will be responsible for either leading Infrastructure delivery of one or more features across multiple streams. We work with teams within Technology (Product and Engineering), Online/Mobile, 3rd parties (Bank, Pay+, Till suppliers) and business teams (Operations, Customer Engagement Centre, Marketing, Comms, Stores to name a few).
It’s not just about what we deliver but how. There is equal focus on the way we engage with Technology and Business teams so that we can deliver more efficiently and effectively. This is an opportunity to make a material difference to our customers and to acquire skills to help you work smarter in Tesco.
You will be responsible for
The Role – Technical Programme Manager
Whilst specific responsibilities will be dependent upon the changing needs of the Tesco business, the following provides an overview of the role’s key responsibilities and measures:
- Deliver programmes with business and/or technical risks
- Optimise or use a standard programme delivery methodology for delivering programme goals (e.g. agile, waterfall, iterative)
- Bring together, coordinate and energise virtual technology teams to deliver programme goals
- Create and track a plan to deliver the programme goals, including the technical implementation plan
- Understand trade-offs and resulting impacts; make impacts visible to Product, Infrastructure or Engineering for the right decision to be made
- Managing dependencies, delivery timelines and implementations plans, using my knowledge of technical architecture
- Appreciating and responding to delivery challenges, using my knowledge of engineering best practices and/or infrastructure implementations
- Understand technology concepts, grasp new ones quickly and appreciate their implications on delivery
- Effectively manage major incidents, ensuring stakeholders are updated with the right information to drive the correct decisions
- Collaborate with the Product and Engineering teams to define annual budgetary requirements
- Build positive relationships with suppliers & external stakeholders to deliver software or professional services
- Coach peers and other roles, teaching where required, on methodologies and programme management tools
You will need
Key Skills and Experience
An ideal candidate must have demonstrated below key skills in their current and past roles:
- Have a proven record of accomplishment in delivering a Network Transformation Programme with a specific focus on LAN, WAN, WLAN, structured cabling
- Have a proven record of accomplishment in delivering technology relating to infrastructure having done so across multiple teams in multiple geographies
- Have experience of building credible relationships and influencing senior management & leadership teams
- Strong Project, Stakeholder & Programme management skills
- Strong vendor management and negotiating skills with a keen focus on ensuring they deliver quality
- Exceptional reporting skills for programs and financial forecasting
- Excellent communication & influencing skills and adoptability to changes
- Excellent Risk and Issue Management
- Accreditation in Project Management (e.g. Prince 2, PMI PMP, MSP) and experienced in ITIL Service Management Framework and Principles
Our vision at Tesco is to become every customer’s favourite way to shop, whether they are at home or out on the move. Our core purpose is “Serving our customers, communities and planet a little better every day”. Serving means more than a transactional relationship with our customers. It means acting as a responsible and sustainable business for all stakeholders, for the communities we are part of, and for the planet.
We are proud to have an inclusive culture at Tesco where everyone truly feels able to be themselves. At Tesco, we not only celebrate diversity, but recognise the value and opportunity it brings. We’re committed to creating a workplace where differences are valued, and make sure that all colleagues are given the same opportunities. We’re a big business with diverse working patterns and many business areas which means that we can find something that works for you. Everyone is welcome at Tesco.
We have recently announced that we are moving to a more blended working week – combining office and remote working. Our offices continue to be where we connect, collaborate and innovate. Talk to us about how this can work for you.
Note: Should you be successful in your application, your employment will be subject to and conditional upon you providing your bank account details on your agreed start date.