The following content displays a map of the jobs location - London
Software Development Engineer III - Android
Job Reference tesco/TP/13674520/785680
What’s in it for you
We offer excellent benefits that help make Tesco a great place to work! These include but are not limited to:
- Annual bonus scheme
- Holiday starting at 25 days plus a personal day (and bank holidays)
- Great colleague discounts and deals, saving you money on everyday purchases, utility bills for the home and more
- Retirement savings plan – save between 4% and 7.5% and Tesco will match your contribution
- Buy as you earn and Save as you earn share schemes
- Opportunities to get on – take advantage of our ongoing learning opportunities and award-winning training to help you achieve the career you want
About the role
As an Android Software Development Engineer, you’ll be working in an agile team of industry leading engineers upon Tesco’s customer facing Android application. Working with Product Managers, you will be responsible for the future direction of the products that we build, solving problems and developing new features through quality, scalable, performant and maintainable technical solutions. The solutions that you will be responsible for will have a global reach, impacting millions of customers.
You’ll be a passionate, pragmatic Android Software Development Engineer with an inquisitive mind who is motivated to make change for the better and most importantly put our customer first. You’ll enjoy working as part of a team and be a keen problem solver. Comfortable with modern engineering practices and mobile development tooling and technologies you’ll use innovation to improve the customer experience and efficiency of engineering teams.
You will be responsible for
We love to work with smart people who have a strong sense of ownership and strong engineering mindset. You provide mobile perspective and context for technology choices. You’re up to the challenge of device and mobile network limitations, device fragmentation, and other mobile development curve balls. You are motivated to tackle ambiguous situations with new technologies to rapidly produce prototypes. You outline paths from prototype to product. You are a technical leader for your team. You contribute to the professional development of colleagues, improving their technical knowledge and the engineering practices on your team.
You will need
We are looking for people who have a passion for Technology. You will likely have made open source contributions and have a Github account. You will demonstrate experience of different platforms and technologies. We expect to see some or all of the following:
- Experience architecting complex mobile applications
- 5+ years of commercial software development experience in Java/Kotlin
- BS/MS in Computer Science or equivalent
- Firm understanding of software development principles, capabilities and limitations of mobile platforms
- Passion for mobile development. We would love to hear about apps you’ve developed.
- Understanding and exposure to integrating REST API endpoints
- Strong experience and understanding of industry standard mobile accessibility
- Experience in full development life cycle; design, coding, test, build, QA, deployment and maintenance
- Exposure to the DevOps model
- Experience in Lean and Agile environments and understanding of principles behind methodologies such as: BDD, ATDD and TDD
- A strong team player with the ability to influence and lead stakeholders when necessary
- Demonstrable ability to self-manage, be proactive, take ownership, build relationships and drive solutions through from inception to production
Our vision at Tesco is to become every customer’s favourite way to shop, whether they are at home or out on the move. Our core purpose is “Serving our customers, communities and planet a little better every day”. Serving means more than a transactional relationship with our customers. It means acting as a responsible and sustainable business for all stakeholders, for the communities we are part of, and for the planet.
We are proud to have an inclusive culture at Tesco where everyone truly feels able to be themselves. At Tesco, we not only celebrate diversity, but recognise the value and opportunity it brings. We’re committed to creating a workplace where differences are valued, and make sure that all colleagues are given the same opportunities. We’re a big business with diverse working patterns and many business areas which means that we can find something that works for you. Everyone is welcome at Tesco.
We have recently announced that we are moving to a more blended working week – combining office and remote working. Our offices continue to be where we connect, collaborate and innovate. Talk to us about how this can work for you.
Note: Should you be successful in your application, your employment will be subject to and conditional upon you providing your bank account details on your agreed start date.