The following content displays a map of the jobs location - London
Senior Product Manager - Service Communication & Security
What’s in it for you
We offer excellent benefits that help make Tesco a great place to work! These include but are not limited to:
- Annual bonus scheme
- Holiday starting at 25 days plus a personal day (and bank holidays)
- Great colleague discounts and deals, saving you money on everyday purchases, utility bills for the home and more
- Retirement savings plan – save between 4% and 7.5% and Tesco will match your contribution
- Buy as you earn and Save as you earn share schemes
- Opportunities to get on – take advantage of our ongoing learning opportunities and award-winning training to help you achieve the career you want
About the role
The mission of Engineering Effectiveness (EE) teams is to ensure developers spend more time delivering value and less time worrying about underlying systems, while improving their standards and practices in a light touch way.
As a part of EE, the Service Communication & Security (SCS) team’s mission is to provide secure and resilient inter-service communication, management of secrets and protection of sensitive data, across Tesco.
We want to build valuable products that are incredibly easy to use, so a key focus is providing a quality user experience and streamlined onboarding process.
We build and operate a set of cloud-native services, infrastructure and CLIs (Command Line Interface). Tesco’s large footprint means that our systems operate at vast scale and our clients require > 99.9% availability.
We obsess about system operability and as such focus heavily on observability, fully automated deployments, continuous improvement, and refinement to minimise support costs. We practice continuous integration and delivery which allow us to deliver business value frequently while minimising risk.
The product engineering culture at Tesco focusses on problem solving and not on solution-led outcomes. We aim to foster an empowered environment where teams have end-to-end ownership and decision making; alongside standards, guidance and paved roads which minimise re-learning and duplication.
As the Senior Product Manager for SCS, you will guide the team from discovery through to delivery. You will focus on the needs of your customers – fellow developers – to iteratively enhance both the functionality and usability of our solutions. You will lead the product development efforts, focusing on strategy and delivery starting from the expected outcomes.
You will be responsible for
- Proactively partner with peers and senior stakeholders to set the future direction of the SCS as part of the wider business strategy
- Understand key user personas, customers & stakeholders for the different products owned by the SCS team and their pain points.
- Drive the adoption of the products and ruthlessly prioritise to achieve team’s OKRs (Outcomes and Key Results)
- Prioritise work and decisively resolve trade-offs with peers and senior leaders
- Drive requirements discovery alongside the engineering team and collaborate to break down complex work into smaller, deliverable chunks of value that can be delivered faster.
- Facilitate planning sessions together with the engineering team to plan and prioritise the work items
- Drive the acceptance and adoption of ideas and improvements with product teams and engineering stakeholders
- Prioritise coordinate and communicate the resolution of live product issues independently
- Provide leadership and direction to team on short-term tasks/near-term priorities
- Be the subject matter expert for SCS’ team products
You will need
- Sound understanding of distributed systems and fundamental networking concepts
- Understanding of User Research/ Design Thinking concepts
- Understanding of APIs and the art of the possible
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- A methodical approach to problem-solving
- Attitude and the aptitude to learn new product area/domain quickly
- Great presentation and persuasion skills
- Team player who could work collaboratively with other members of the team
- Ownership, responsiveness, and commitment towards assigned work
- Strong decision making and prioritization skills, especially when multiple trade-offs are involved, and faster decision are required
- Empathy and strong active listening skills to understand the needs/ pain points of your customers/stakeholders
- Knowledge of Agile methodologies, writing effective user stories/ acceptance criterions
Our vision at Tesco is to become every customer’s favourite way to shop, whether they are at home or out on the move. Our core purpose is “Serving our customers, communities and planet a little better every day”. Serving means more than a transactional relationship with our customers. It means acting as a responsible and sustainable business for all stakeholders, for the communities we are part of, and for the planet.
We are proud to have an inclusive culture at Tesco where everyone truly feels able to be themselves. At Tesco, we not only celebrate diversity, but recognise the value and opportunity it brings. We’re committed to creating a workplace where differences are valued, and make sure that all colleagues are given the same opportunities. We’re a big business with diverse working patterns and many business areas which means that we can find something that works for you. Everyone is welcome at Tesco.
We have recently announced that we are moving to a more blended working week – combining office and remote working. Our offices continue to be where we connect, collaborate and innovate. Talk to us about how this can work for you.
Note: Should you be successful in your application, your employment will be subject to and conditional upon you providing your bank account details on your agreed start date.