The following content displays a map of the jobs location - Welwyn Garden City or Slough
Chapter Lead - Data Engineering
Job Reference tesco/TP/4504875/783775
The job has expired.
What’s in it for you
We offer excellent benefits that help make Tesco a great place to work. These include but aren’t limited to:
- Annual bonus scheme
- Holiday starting at 25 days plus a personal day (plus 8 Bank holidays)
- On-site state of the art gym at our Welwyn Campus with discounted “Gympass” membership & free health checks via Nuffield Health
- Retirement savings plan - save between 4% and 7.5% and Tesco will match your contribution
- Life Assurance - 5 x contractual pay
- Share Schemes – Join our ‘Buy As You Earn’ & ‘Save As You Earn’ share schemes after 3 months service
- Colleague Clubcard (including a 2nd card for a family member) after 3 months service
- Colleague Discounts:
- 10% increasing to 15% after every pay day for a four day period, off most purchases at Tesco
- 10% off One Stop
- 10% off pay monthly & SIM only deals with Tesco Mobile
- 20% off all F&F purchases
- 20% off car, pet and home insurance at Tesco bank. T&C’s apply
- 50% off complete glasses purchases & free eye tests (other offers available) at Vision Express
- 50% off health checks at Tesco Pharmacy
- An exclusive deals and discounts website saving you money on everyday purchases, treats for the family, eating out and utility bills for the home
- Cycle to work scheme
- Shuttle Bus Service to/from Welwyn Garden City Station to Welwyn Campus
- Opportunities to get on - take advantage of our ongoing learning opportunities and award-winning training, to help you achieve the job and career you want
- Our Employee Assistance Programme helps you deal with life’s challenges
- Financial wellness - Tesco has partnered with experts to help you make the most of your money
- Get involved in a range of fundraising activities with our long-term charity partners
About the role
The Data Engineering Chapter Lead reports to the Tribe Lead (Data, Insight & Analytics) and is the line manager for all chapter members regardless of which squads they support across the organisation. You will provide leadership and support every member's personal and professional skills (‘mastery development’) whilst also being part of a squad fulfilling hands-on work for up to 50% of your time.
The Chapter is primarily concerned with sourcing, managing and providing data. The data comprehensively records customer interactions with the business and helps Tesco Mobile deliver industry-leading customer experience as well as the ability to be innovative and profitable.
Chapter members undertake all aspects of the development lifecycle and are experienced in data modelling, process design, development and testing. Most development is in the form of SQL stored procedures and scripting, with some use of SSIS and PowerBI.
You will define the strategy and approach of Agile practices and methodologies for the chapter as well as allocating resources across squads to generate increased customer and business value. You will work especially closely with the Data Platforms Product Owner to deliver capability where the greatest need exists.
With ambitious plans to better exploit the data lake at our disposal by migrating data to an Azure/Databricks environment this is an opportunity to put the chapter at the cutting edge of data engineering.
You will be responsible for
- Role-model Agile mindset and behaviours; promoting a growth mindset and continuous learning culture, responding to feedback, listening to the needs of the Chapter, business and colleagues, and making relevant decisions to improve collective chapter and individual mindset
- Role-model inclusive leadership and allyship; create an inclusive culture, lead with curiosity, be self-aware and authentic
- Co-create and, where necessary, lead and evolve the mastery development of the Chapter. Address challenges that limit achievement of the core competencies.
- Hire and line manage all chapter members; responsible for their personal development, performance cycle activities and coaching. All while championing the Chapter and its mastery development
- Build and enable the chapter to self-organise to best serve our customer; working with Tribe Leads and COE Leads to understand organisational needs and to ensure Chapter is both aligned to these needs and feeding in requirements for future business growth (e.g. reviewing future workforce requirements and identifying and executing Chapter resource requirements)
- Provide and relay feedback (e.g. through POCLAC meetings), holding Chapter members accountable and managing performance conversations with colleagues
- Organise resource allocation of chapter members to squads and orchestrate the contribution of the chapter in co-ordination with Tribe Leads and COE Leads
- Provide strategic advice and bring customer centricity from the Chapter's point of view
- Help promote knowledge sharing between chapter members, encourage cross-tribe knowledge sharing, and share knowledge with other chapters via guilds (where appropriate)
- Follow our business code of conduct, always acting with integrity and due diligence
- Product Owners for every squad in the Data Tribe (Data Platforms, Insight & Analytics, Marketing Platforms, Data Science, and PowerBI) and Product Tribes - understanding their product visions and determining how data mastery can best support and enable these
- Centre of Excellence Leads (e.g. Customer Journey, Finance etc)
- Operations Circle Leads
- Leadership Squad
You will need
- Experience of working in an Agile workplace structure
- A degree in a numerate discipline with experience managing data specialists
- Track record of developing talent across a business
- Strong coaching, mentoring, facilitation and teaching skills
- A good role model, demonstrating clarity of thought, thoroughness and integrity
- Ability to influence a culture of growth mindset, self-leadership and development
- Customer-focused, generally curious and shaping a competitive customer-focused culture
- Excellent relationship management and problem-solving skills
- Ability to communicate clearly at all levels of the organisation
- Well-organised and resourceful with demonstrable end-to-end data lifecycle experience and a track record of delivery excellence
- Understanding of Data Engineering practices (e.g. peer review, adherence to standards and templates (QA), and deployment planning)
- Working knowledge of tools used within the Chapter (e.g. SQL, Python, Power BI) with a desire and ability to research and pick up new tools and techniques quickly
- Understanding of security protocols and how data security is enabled
- Experienced in translating business requirements into user stories and creating technical solutions
- Previous experience of the telecoms industry
- Experience in creating strategies and defining data architecture
- A discipline expert in the Chapter specialism
- Demonstrable background in creating diverse teams
Tesco has become a market leader by doing the little things that really matter for our customers and colleagues. It is part of what makes Tesco such a great place to work and we are proud to have been accredited as one of Britain’s Top Employers.
We are the UK's number one retailer and we pride ourselves on offering a great shopping experience. We are passionate about our food, merchandise and services and will always try to get things right for our customers.
But did you know we also offer great job opportunities? With stores, distribution centres and offices across the UK, we have a vast variety of roles and we are always looking for people who have a hunger to work with customers and colleagues across our exciting business. We believe in treating each other with respect and giving everyone an equal opportunity to get on. It is our people that make the difference every day - helping us make a difference for our customers.
We are proud to have an inclusive culture at Tesco where everyone is welcome and truly feels able to be themselves. At Tesco, we not only celebrate diversity, but recognise the value and opportunity it brings to enable us to serve our shoppers a little better every day. We strive to create a workforce that reflects our customers not only here in the UK, but worldwide. Our aim is to attract and welcome a diverse range applicants from all walks of life and we would love to hear from you!