The following content displays a map of the jobs location - London
Senior Software Engineer - Service Communication & Security
What’s in it for you
We offer excellent benefits that help make Tesco a great place to work! These include but are not limited to:
- Annual bonus scheme
- Holiday starting at 25 days plus a personal day (and bank holidays)
- Great colleague discounts and deals, saving you money on everyday purchases, utility bills for the home and more
- Retirement savings plan – save between 4% and 7.5% and Tesco will match your contribution
- Buy as you earn and Save as you earn share schemes
- Opportunities to get on – take advantage of our ongoing learning opportunities and award-winning training to help you achieve the career you want
About the role
The mission of the Service Communication & Security team is to provide performant, resilient and secure interservice communication, across our cloud and till estate. We are part of the Engineering Effectiveness organisation within Tesco Technology.
More specifically, our areas of responsibility include:
- Resilient and secure interservice communication via service mesh and mTLS
- Desensitising secrets and data via encryption or signing
- Secure management of secrets via rotation and centralised management
- Removal of secrets via workload identities i.e. SPIFFE
We build and operate a set of cloud-native services, infrastructure and CLIs. Tesco’s large footprint means that our systems operate at vast scale and our clients require > 99.9% availability.
We obsess about system operability and as such focus heavily on observability, fully automated deployments, continuous improvement, and refinement in turn minimising support costs. We practice continuous integration and delivery which allow us to deliver business value frequently while minimising risk.
Our microservices are built using Java (using Micronaut and VertX) and are deployed to Kubernetes on Azure. We also leverage several cloud services such as Cosmos DB, Blob Storage and Key Vault. We build CLIs for our engineering teams using Go, allowing us to cross-compile to multiple operating systems. In addition, we also use Python, Bash and Terraform extensively in order to achieve a high level of automation.
The culture at Tesco Technology values above all else autonomy and full end-to-end ownership of solutions, thus empowering teams to build and deliver software as effectively as possible.
As a Software Development Engineer III on the Service Communication & Security team, your primary responsibility is to design, build and run technology solutions to deliver valuable outcomes to our customers, colleagues, and partners. You’ll be working alongside 6-8 engineers and a software development manager.
Hiring Manager - Manol Dimitrov
You will be responsible for
- Designing and implementing cloud-native services using Java and/or Golang
- Building infrastructure as code using Terraform, Python & Bash
- Running and operating distributed systems
- Testing and automating everything
- Providing technical leadership and driving delivery
- Coaching and developing fellow engineers
About Tesco Technology
- We build systems to solve problems at scale, with impact on tens of millions of people
- Technology is a key competitive advantage, allowing us to shape the future of retail
- We are agile and contemporary in our approach to building software and teams
- Teams have a high level of autonomy
- We value and promote flexible working
If this sounds exciting, then we'd love to hear from you.
You will need
- Commercial experience developing in Java and ability to deliver with little to no supervision.
- Experience with Java 8+ and Golang
- Experience with cloud platforms (e.g. Azure, AWS, etc.).
- Experience with both SQL & NoSQL databases.
- Experience with Microservices (vert.x, Micronaut).
- Experience with Kubernetes and Docker.
- Experience scaling and building low-latency systems
- Experience working with multiple software development methodologies including Scrum & Kanban
Our vision at Tesco is to become every customer’s favourite way to shop, whether they are at home or out on the move. Our core purpose is “Serving our customers, communities and planet a little better every day”. Serving means more than a transactional relationship with our customers. It means acting as a responsible and sustainable business for all stakeholders, for the communities we are part of, and for the planet.
We are proud to have an inclusive culture at Tesco where everyone truly feels able to be themselves. At Tesco, we not only celebrate diversity, but recognise the value and opportunity it brings. We’re committed to creating a workplace where differences are valued, and make sure that all colleagues are given the same opportunities. We’re a big business with diverse working patterns and many business areas which means that we can find something that works for you. Everyone is welcome at Tesco.
We have recently announced that we are moving to a more blended working week – combining office and remote working. Our offices continue to be where we connect, collaborate and innovate. Talk to us about how this can work for you.
Note: Should you be successful in your application, your employment will be subject to and conditional upon you providing your bank account details on your agreed start date.