The following content displays a map of the jobs location - London
Lead product manager – Future of Comms
What’s in it for you
We offer excellent benefits that help make Tesco a great place to work! These include but are not limited to:
- Annual bonus scheme
- Holiday starting at 25 days plus a personal day (and bank holidays)
- Great colleague discounts and deals, saving you money on everyday purchases, utility bills for the home and more
- Retirement savings plan – save between 4% and 7.5% and Tesco will match your contribution
- Buy as you earn and Save as you earn share schemes
- Opportunities to get on – take advantage of our ongoing learning opportunities and award-winning training to help you achieve the career you want
About the role
This is a key and exciting role that puts you at the heart of customer journeys. The Customer Communications product team are responsible for leading the product vision, strategy, and development of one of Tesco’s core technology foundations – an API Platform that provides a simple, secure and accurate way of talking to our customer in a cross channel / omnichannel environment.
For the Future of Communications area – we are currently responsible for transitioning our legacy process to a more customer centric automated platform.
This role also includes personalising the customer experience e.g. if our customer has defined themselves as ‘vegetarian’ then working on only displaying vegetarian imagery and potentially changing what a customer is able to see in their communications. Personalisation and segmentation are key to the Tesco strategy going forwards.
You will be responsible for
Whilst specific responsibilities will be dependent upon the changing needs of the Tesco business, the following provides an overview of the role’s key responsibilities and measures.
- A master practitioner of Product Management, you will coordinate, own, and prioritise development of the service whilst taking care of tactical short-term requirements on a legacy technology stack
- Managing a team of product managers (3-4) and ensuring they are set up to succeed
- Getting involved and managing a team – teaching /mentoring best practices of agile development
- Strong technical skills as working predominately with APIs
- Nurture common service rollout and integration consistency across all Tesco systems
- Drive alignment with legacy and future services platform
- Owning the development plans: crafting the overall strategy, defining, and prioritising business requirements and working with the different business units to ensure their plans are coordinated.
- Work with other Product Managers, architects, and the development team to deliver the roadmap using agile methodologies: prioritising requirements, answering development questions, and resolving issues, always putting the customer first.
- Proactively seeking improvements to our ways of working across the various teams involved in the development and ongoing management of our API platform portfolio.
- Supervising and understanding the potential of new technologies and business models, identifying, and developing new opportunities for Tesco.
- This role will best suit an individual who enjoys working as part of a team, is well organised, pragmatic and a lateral problem solver with an inquisitive mind who is motivated to make change for the better and, most importantly, puts our customers first.
You will need
Skills relevant for the job
- Ownership, responsiveness, and dedication towards assigned work
- Strong decision making and prioritization skills, especially when multiple trade-offs are involved, and faster decision are required
- Appreciation and good listening skills to understand the needs/ difficulties of your customers/ stakeholders
- Great mentor skills and have successfully developed hard worker Product managers under your leadership
- Great communication skills and can gain respect and trust of team members and others working with you
Experience relevant for this job
- Have shown success in leading a team of very hardworking and opinionated product managers and took multiple ideas (at least 1 new product/idea) from conception to go-live, through standard software product development lifecycle and got measurable success across defined KPIs
- Good domain expertise in the relevant functional area/ a large complex domain
- Efficient in stakeholder management and has ability to steer the team in the right direction by putting the best team members in the most value generating Products/ Business priorities
- Knowledge and experience of product management best practice and methodologies and strong technical competence
- Technically competent to influence and understand the solution context and approach and aid engineering in estimating the complexity of work being requested
- Understands the impact Tech debt is causing and the value Tech upgrades can bring in, and can hold the objective conversations with your technology counterparts to prioritize it during any sprint
Desirable: Knowledge and experience of the paradigms and trade-offs surrounding software architectures and software technical design choices.
Our vision at Tesco is to become every customer’s favourite way to shop, whether they are at home or out on the move. Our core purpose is “Serving our customers, communities and planet a little better every day”. Serving means more than a transactional relationship with our customers. It means acting as a responsible and sustainable business for all stakeholders, for the communities we are part of, and for the planet.
We are proud to have an inclusive culture at Tesco where everyone truly feels able to be themselves. At Tesco, we not only celebrate diversity, but recognise the value and opportunity it brings. We’re committed to creating a workplace where differences are valued, and make sure that all colleagues are given the same opportunities. We’re a big business with diverse working patterns and many business areas which means that we can find something that works for you. Everyone is welcome at Tesco.
We have recently announced that we are moving to a more blended working week – combining office and remote working. Our offices continue to be where we connect, collaborate and innovate. Talk to us about how this can work for you.
Note: Should you be successful in your application, your employment will be subject to and conditional upon you providing your bank account details on your agreed start date.