The following content displays a map of the jobs location - Welwyn Garden City
Technology Innovation Researcher
What’s in it for you
We offer excellent benefits that help make Tesco a great place to work! These include but are not limited to:
- Annual bonus scheme
- Holiday starting at 20 days, rising to 22 days after 12 months, plus a personal day (and bank holidays)
- Great colleague discounts and deals, saving you money on everyday purchases, utility bills for the home and more
- Retirement savings plan – save between 4% and 7.5% and Tesco will match your contribution
- Buy As You Earn and Save As You Earn share schemes
- Opportunities to get on – take advantage of our ongoing learning opportunities and award-winning training to help you achieve the career you want
About the role
Tesco Labs is Tesco Technology’s research and development team. Based in the Welwyn Garden City the team was conceived to shine light on future opportunities and challenges for Tesco. Labs is a trusted source on emerging technology and is focused on prototyping and testing new ideas in technology areas that could significantly impact customers and the business in the future. More information about the team can be found on our website: www.tescolabs.com.
You will be responsible for
We’re looking for a 'go to’ research professional with a passion for understanding future consumer needs and technology trends and advances. While specific responsibilities will be dependent upon the changing needs of the Tesco business, the following provides an overview of the role’s key responsibilities and measures:
- Identify future technology trends and their intersection with business challenges in order to highlight and prioritise future areas of work for the labs team
- Research into specific technologies; produce papers, summaries, newsletters and / or masterclasses to share learning and stimulate debate
- Help the product teams stretch their thinking by continuously providing them with stimuli about what is happening in the space they are working in
- Regularly hold trend / new tech debrief sessions and lead discussion and ideation about what this might mean for Tesco
- Excite everyone about innovation and generate enthusiasm and excitement around innovation to gain buy in and support for the work we do.
- This role will best suit an individual who enjoys working as part of a team, is well organised, pragmatic and a lateral thinker with an inquisitive mind who is motivated to make change for the better and, most importantly, puts our customers first.
You will need
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills – a real storyteller
- Strategic thinking
- A deep understanding of technology and how things work
- A passion for innovation and a desire to impact the future of retail
- Be deeply curious, tenacious, creative and open mindset
- Ability to learn new concepts at depth and elevate them for less savvy audience
- Flexibility, ability to plan and organise – a self-starter
- Confident and engaging storyteller
- Someone who likes to have fun while they work and can uplift
Our vision at Tesco is to become every customer’s favourite way to shop, whether they are at home or out on the move. Our core purpose is “Serving our customers, communities and planet a little better every day”. Serving means more than a transactional relationship with our customers. It means acting as a responsible and sustainable business for all stakeholders, for the communities we are part of, and for the planet.
We are proud to have an inclusive culture at Tesco where everyone truly feels able to be themselves. At Tesco, we not only celebrate diversity, but recognise the value and opportunity it brings. We’re committed to creating a workplace where differences are valued, and make sure that all colleagues are given the same opportunities. We’re a big business with diverse working patterns and many business areas which means that we can find something that works for you. Everyone is welcome at Tesco.
We have recently announced that we are moving to a more blended working week – combining office and remote working. Our offices continue to be where we connect, collaborate and innovate. Talk to us about how this can work for you.
Note: Should you be successful in your application, your employment will be subject to and conditional upon you providing your bank account details on your agreed start date.