The following content displays a map of the jobs location - Welwyn Garden City
Senior Software Engineer - Quote API
Job Reference tesco/TP/5958610/768610
What’s in it for you
We offer excellent benefits that help make Tesco a great place to work! These include but are not limited to:
- Annual bonus scheme
- Holiday starting at 25 days plus a personal day (and bank holidays)
- Great colleague discounts and deals, saving you money on everyday purchases, utility bills for the home and more
- Retirement savings plan – save between 4% and 7.5% and Tesco will match your contribution
- Buy as you earn and Save as you earn share schemes
- Opportunities to get on – take advantage of our ongoing learning opportunities and award-winning training to help you achieve the career you want
About the role
Price Service is a HTTP API handling pricing and promotions across all of Tesco’s channels and is of central importance to Tesco’s strategic plans to better serve 28 million shoppers each week in the UK, and more around the globe. The impact of the team’s work on Price Service is visible through Tesco's tills, websites and mobile apps - it is rare to find a job with this level of challenge and impact. The HTTP API is being built for consumption on the open internet, to enable future innovation in the wider world. To do so, the engineering team has to tackle hard distributed systems problems at scale, to ensure high availability and performance. CAP theorem is a regular and very practical topic of conversation within the team!
The service is built with Java, Vert.x, RxJava, Groovy, Couchbase and Kafka, among other technologies. It runs on AWS & Azure with fully automated testing in a continuous deployment pipeline. The team works according to Agile principles, adapting Kanban and other techniques as appropriate to succeed.
The team is humble and supportive of each other and highly collaborative both internally and with other teams, with pairing a common occurrence and all code is reviewed via Github.
You will be responsible for
- Using your in-depth knowledge of the JVM, frameworks, and the tool ecosystem to implement end-to-end systems without assistance.
- Translating requirements into tasks & code.
- Producing test-driven features and demonstrating your familiarity with the TDD cycle.
- Applying your understanding of cohesion and the SOLID principles to create well structured, maintainable software.
- Working effectively with product stakeholders to communicate and translate needs into product improvements.
- Supporting production systems, resolving incidents, and performing root cause analysis.
- Sharing knowledge with the wider engineering community.
- Mentoring and developing others around you.
- Producing proof of concepts to evaluate new tools.
You will need
- Experience with Java 8+ is a must.
- Experience with cloud platform(s) (e.g. AWS, Azure, etc.)
- Experience with both SQL/NoSQL databases
- Experience using Spring.
- Experience scaling systems.
- Experience working with multiple software development methodologies including Scrum, Kanban and Waterfall.
- Experience with eCommerce and search systems would be a nice to have, but not necessary.
- Experience with reactive programming is considered a plus.
Our vision at Tesco is to become every customer’s favourite way to shop, whether they are at home or out on the move. Our core purpose is “Serving our customers, communities and planet a little better every day”. Serving means more than a transactional relationship with our customers. It means acting as a responsible and sustainable business for all stakeholders, for the communities we are part of, and for the planet.
We are proud to have an inclusive culture at Tesco where everyone truly feels able to be themselves. At Tesco, we not only celebrate diversity, but recognise the value and opportunity it brings. We’re committed to creating a workplace where differences are valued, and make sure that all colleagues are given the same opportunities. We’re a big business with diverse working patterns and many business areas which means that we can find something that works for you. Everyone is welcome at Tesco.
We have recently announced that we are moving to a more blended working week – combining office and remote working. Our offices continue to be where we connect, collaborate and innovate. Talk to us about how this can work for you.
Note: Should you be successful in your application, your employment will be subject to and conditional upon you providing your bank account details on your agreed start date.