The following content displays a map of the jobs location - Welwyn Garden City
Senior Systems Engineer III – Networks Transport
What’s in it for you
- An annual bonus scheme.
- Colleague Clubcard (including a 2nd card for a family member) after 3 months service with 10% off most purchases at Tesco.
- Holiday starting at 25 days plus a personal day.
- A retirement savings plan - 4%-7.5% contribution rate.
- Life Assurance - 5 x contractual pay.
- Buy As You Earn Scheme which allows you to buy Tesco shares and save tax after 3 months of service.
- Save As You Earn Scheme which gives you the opportunity to save direct from your pay for three or five years with the option of using your savings to buy Tesco shares at a discounted price after 1 year of service.
- Access to Tesco Learning and Development Academy.
- Deals & Discounts through Tesco including Tesco Mobile & Tesco Bank.
- Deals and Discounts through many other external businesses.
- Cycle to work and Car Share Schemes.
- Onsite discounted Nuffield Health Gym.
- Subsidised Canteen.
About the role
About The Tesco Technology Infrastructure Team
The Infrastructure Engineering team design, develop, implement, and operate all infrastructure used by Tesco Technology across our data centres, offices, stores, and distribution centres. This encompasses multiple domains; private and public cloud, connectivity, end-user computing, CI/CD, and monitoring toolkit. This includes both 3rds party and internally developed infrastructure applications and infrastructure that support the wider Tesco business.
As part of wider Infrastructure Team, Networks Transport Team design, develop, implement, and operate all Network and Security infrastructure technologies that facilitate both Infrastructure and the rest of Tesco Technology.
Key activities include:
· Designs, develops, implements, and operates the large-scale, high-capacity and highly resilient infrastructure solutions that allow the rest of Infrastructure, Technology development teams and business colleagues to consume Networks and Security Service.
· Setting the strategy, objectives, and high-level plans for Networks Infrastructure Service to best deliver requirements of Tesco Technology and thus the business.
· Defining and continually overseeing standards and simplification across the entire Networks estate.
· Driving innovation through transformation and Continual Service Improvement.
· Evaluating partners, software and hardware and finding the right mix to deliver the Technology and ultimately, business strategy.
· Designs, develops, implements, and operates Networks solutions in line with modern automation technologies where possible through self-service APIs. These solutions will allow Networks and rest of Infrastructure
· Designing, delivering, implementing, and operating new and re-usable infrastructure solutions to meet both technological, financial, and business requirements. Collaborate with, and advise, development teams, to create appropriate infrastructure solutions to facilitate both their and ultimately the business requirements.
The Role – Systems Engineer III – Networks
Following our Business Code of Conduct and always acting with integrity and due diligence. Whilst specific responsibilities will be dependent upon the changing needs of the Tesco business, the following provides an overview of the role’s key responsibilities and measures:
· Represent Infrastructure/Systems Engineering across all of Tesco Technology and with suppliers.
· Balance exceptional delivery for customers on what matters, engaging teams, and colleagues, with the need of the business.
· Being an expert and often the first layer of management of people or projects.
· Architect, Design and Deliver solutions using existing Infrastructure components. Where new infrastructure technologies are being introduced, implement them, and establish best practice for their adoption.
· Strategic resolution of problems that have not been seen before and initiating change to ensure that issues can be dealt with easily in future.
· Contribute to the Technology Roadmap for Tesco Technology Data Centres.
· Evaluate new tools and techniques being able to understand their value and impact.
· Understand current application development techniques (12 factor app) and their implications to infrastructure.
· Lead group design discussions on my area of expertise and be able to present with authority to a variety of audiences.
· Collaborate with Software Engineers to understand their requirements and assist them consuming Infrastructure in the most seamless way possible.
· Demonstrate leadership qualities by coaching and mentoring system engineers across Technology who are at a more junior level.
· Ensure that my own team’s designs are of a high quality and understand the impacts to any other areas of infrastructure.
· Keep my technical skills up to date and keep track of new technologies, understanding how they might benefit the Technology team and wider Tesco.
· Introduce automation to all aspects of my day-to-day work.
· Proficient in spoken and written English and comfortable communicating with leaders and engineers.
This role will best suit an individual who enjoys working as part of a team, is well organised, pragmatic and a lateral thinker with an inquisitive mind who is motivated to make change for the better and, most importantly, puts our customers first.
You will be responsible for
Skills / Experience Required
- Experience designing and deploying solutions for large, complex global organisations
- Analytical and structured approach to design, process, and advanced troubleshooting
- Understand Tesco Technology and business strategies and convert into technology roadmaps and innovative solutions that best achieve these goals
- Ability to produce and maintain high quality HLD/LLD and Standards documentation
- Well organised self-starter who takes personal ownership and accountability at required levels of the work stream and project life cycles; willing to go the extra mile at every opportunity
- Builds and maintains positive relationships within and across teams
- Provides technical leadership within teams and mentoring for individuals
- Communicates effectively, able to deliver and present both written and verbal, designs, strategies, and concepts clearly and affectively to Senior & Jnr staff alike
- Take ownership to keep up-to-date and embrace the latest industry technologies and associated supplier solutions like SDN and SDWAN
You will need
Required Technology Skills (Applicant should possess a min 3 of below)
- Excellent/CCDP levels of practical experience in designing/building, operating large-scale, Multilayer Switching and Routing using current Arista/Juniper/Cisco equipment in a WAN and LAN environments, using technologies like Multicast, Port Channelling, MLAG, FHRP, GLBP, VRF, QoS
- Very good knowledge of Wide Area Networking technologies and protocols, such as MPLS, WAN Optimisation (Riverbed Steelhead or Cisco WAS), CoS, DWDM. Ideally, with experience of dealing with major Global Comms suppliers
- Excellent technical knowledge of ISO/OSI network model, troubleshooting and design. Routing Protocols (BGP, OSPF, IGRP), DNS, DHCP, IP Address Management and TCP/UDP Port RFC & IEEE 802-based standards
- Cisco/Arista switches deployed in Spine/Leaf topology
- Great knowledge of cloud networking – MS Azure, AWS
- High levels of VPN experience along with associated technologies and protocols e.g. IPSec, Public/Private Key Encryption, TLS/SSL, digital cert techniques like ISA/KMP GRE and DMVPN
- High levels of Load balancing & Global/DNS balancing technologies and techniques, preferably F5 hardware and/or software appliances also Cisco ACE or Citrix NetScaler
- Good understanding of Internet/Web Technologies both hardware and cloud based, like CDN, Proxy/Caching, SSL Offloading/Interception, URL forwarding/re-direction from suppliers like Akamai, Bluecoat, Zscaler
- Good understanding of browser-based technologies and protocols like HTML, HTTP/HTTPS, and XML
- Good understanding of Network Management technologies and protocols like SNMP, NetFlow, IPSLA, along with practical experience of associated Network Management & Alerting Tools
Desired Technical Skills
- Good technical knowledge of Firewalls Platforms and Technologies, including build/configuration of some of the following Palo Alto (pref) and Cisco ASA/FirePower (pref), also Checkpoint, Fortinet along with associated Management Systems and Firewall rule analysis tools like Skybox, Tufin
- High levels of knowledge of remote access and two factor authentication technologies and AAA solutions – RSA, Juniper/Pulse, Cisco ISE, Radius
- High levels of experience of Threat prevention and detection techniques and associated technologies like IPS, IDS, APT/SEIM, Secure Proxy
- SDN/automation technologies/configuration tools like GIT, Chef, Ansible or Puppet, preferably in a DevOps environment
- Latest 802.11-based Wi-Fi standards and technologies with practical design and installation of provider solutions and tools from Cisco, Aruba or MIST and all associated survey techniques
- Scripting knowledge (Python, Unix/Linux, or PowerShell & Batch)
- Familiarity with VMware NSX and wider VMware software stack (vCentre, vRealize)
Our vision here at Tesco is to become every customer's favourite way to shop online, whether they are at home, out shopping, on the move, anywhere in the world.
We want our customers to be inspired and whatever they are looking for, we’re finding bigger and better ways to provide it.
Everything is underpinned by our continuous drive for the best tools and technology to deliver our vision. We’re driving innovation and transforming our Technology to become the world’s leading e-commerce business.
We need people who share our ambition to deliver for our customers; Passionate and confident people willing to take the initiative and drive us forwards. In return we offer excitement, a great team, an excellent benefit package, and significant career development opportunities.
The position will be based at our Head Office, Welwyn Garden City, Hertfordshire. (However, staff have opportunity to work at other offices as well as their home where circumstances require. Staff will also be required to occasionally travel on business to other parts of UK and abroad where necessary.)