The following content displays a map of the jobs location - London
Principal Software Development Engineer - Customer Fulfillment
What’s in it for you
- Annual bonus scheme of up to 45% of base salary
- Car allowance of £7,320 per annum
- Holiday starting at 25 days plus a personal day (plus 8 Bank holidays)
- Retirement savings plan - save between 6% and 10% and Tesco will match your contribution
- Life Assurance - 5 x contractual pay
- Share Schemes – Join our ‘Buy As You Earn’ & ‘Save As You Earn’ share schemes after 3 months service
- Colleague Clubcard (including a 2nd card for a family member) after 3 months service
- Colleague Discounts:
- 10% increasing to 15% after every pay day for a four-day period, off most purchases at Tesco (from April 2020)
- 10% off One Stop
- 10% off pay monthly & SIM only deals with Tesco Mobile
- 20% off all F&F purchases
- 20% off car, pet and home insurance at Tesco bank. T&C’s apply
- 25% off Tesco Café
- 50% off complete glasses purchases & free eye tests (other offers available) at Vision Express
- 50% off health checks at Tesco Pharmacy
- An exclusive deals and discounts website saving you money on everyday purchases, treats for the family, eating out and utility bills for the home
- Health screening every 2 years
- Private medical insurance offered by Bupa
- Cycle to work scheme
- Opportunities to get on - take advantage of our ongoing learning opportunities and award-winning training, to help you achieve the job and career you want
- Our Employee Assistance Programme helps you deal with life’s challenges
- Financial wellness - Tesco has partnered with experts to help you make the most of your money
- Get involved in a range of fundraising activities with our long-term charity partners
About the role
In Customer Fulfilment team, we are building our outstanding, new generation, dynamic, scalable, and resilient fulfilment platform on top of the Tesco Enterprise API landscape. This platform is aimed to be used seamlessly to address manual, and/or auto-fulfilment needs at any Order Fulfilment location.
The Customer Fulfilment Platform is developed using Java, Spring boot, React, Node, Couchbase and Kafka, among other technologies. We Design, Develop, and Run applications on cloud computing platform encompassing private and public clouds (Azure), at scale with fully automated testing and CI/CD pipelines.
The team works according to Agile principles, adapting Kanban and other techniques as appropriate to succeed. The team is humble, encouraging of each other and highly collaborative both internally and with other teams, with pairing a common occurrence and all code is reviewed via GitHub.
You will be responsible for
A Principal Software Development Engineer, key in shaping large parts of Tesco’s technical landscape. Contributing to strategic planning, combining business vision and industry standard methodologies to define technical strategy and make decisions. Typically working across different teams, setting standards for engineering excellence and efficient technical design. This role is hands on and guide teams to improve technology across product portfolios, infrastructure, and processes.
As a senior technical expert, you are a thought leader for large and sophisticated areas. You set technical direction to translate strategy into action, making a significant impact to the organisation. You lead the design, implementation, and delivery of software that crafts products and technologies. You use your depth of skill and experience to enable multiple teams around you to deliver excellent software quickly.
You are accountable for:
- Your impact would be across the directorate that you are a member of, but also reaches beyond to effect change across the wider organisation by solving problems and delivering solutions that impact the whole engineering organisation.
- You would generally expect to be given a very high-level problem to work on, but everything after that is you: identifying and formalising the problem, converting it into a simple technical solution, leading its implementation, and training the rest of the organisation to use it.
- As a Senior technical authority, you deliver value that materially changes outcomes for the company, and your job is not just about your technical judgement but also your ability to influence others to deliver results.
- You guide large sophisticated programmes of work, working with and influencing the engineering, product, programme, and business teams. In doing so you influence build vs buy decisions, deprecate legacy software, and lead significant refactoring.
- You guide one or more areas and define the strategic design keeping security, scalability, extensibility, and reusability in mind. You build strategy documents, designs and code which are outstanding and serve as a model for others
- You write critical path code, having a good appreciation of the whole stack.
- You are an authority on multiple technologies and in multiple domains; senior engineers from other teams come to you for advice on the architecture of their products.
You will need
- Optimally played the role of an Engineering Leader With Vision across large engineering organisations.
- Proven experience in designing, developing, and running whole system landscapes.
- Experienced in acting as a technical authority across multiple domains and multiple technologies. Experienced in proposing architectural patterns for adoption by an organisation
Required Operations Skill Set
- Programming Excellence
- Architecture and System Design Excellence
- Expertise in Infrastructure design with Public and Private Cloud
- Championing Software Security
- Expertise in fixing Operations and Maintenance issues
- Software Product delivery methodologies
- Retail Technology Awareness
- Expertise in Data Analytics & Insights
- Great Communication & Influencing skills
- Critical Thinking & Problem Solving
- Curiosity & Learning
We are proud to have an inclusive culture at Tesco where everyone is welcome and truly feels able to be themselves. At Tesco, we not only celebrate diversity, but recognise the value and opportunity it brings to enable us to serve our shoppers a little better every day. We strive to build a workforce that reflects our customers not only here in the UK, but worldwide. Our aim is to attract and welcome a diverse range applicants from all walks of life, offering many varying working patterns across our business, and we would love to hear from you!