The following content displays a map of the jobs location - Welwyn Garden City
Software Development Engineer III - Development Tooling Developer
What’s in it for you
- An annual bonus scheme.
- Colleague Clubcard (including a 2nd card for a family member) after 3 months service with 10% off most purchases at Tesco.
- Holiday starting at 25 days plus a personal day.
- A retirement savings plan - 4%-7.5% contribution rate.
- Life Assurance - 5 x contractual pay.
- Buy As You Earn Scheme which allows you to buy Tesco shares and save tax after 3 months of service.
- Save As You Earn Scheme which gives you the opportunity to save direct from your pay for three or five years with the option of using your savings to buy Tesco shares at a discounted price after 1 year of service.
- Access to Tesco Learning and Development Academy.
- Deals & Discounts through Tesco including Tesco Mobile & Tesco Bank.
- Deals and Discounts through many other external businesses.
- Cycle to work and Car Share Schemes.
- Onsite discounted Nuffield Health Gym.
- Subsidised Canteen.
About the role
As a Software Development Engineer III, you are in a senior Individual Contributor engineering role at Tesco. Your proficiency with foundational computer science and software engineering concepts is taken as a given, and you will have proven significant technical depth and breadth. At this level you will be playing an active role in technical leadership, with proven impact across teams and the wider directorate. Once you have reached the SDE3 level, progression will vary significantly, and is likely to include more lateral opportunities than vertical promotion.
The role will be within the newly created UK chapter of our Development Tooling team driving to build, engineer and create the best possible toolchain for the other ~3000 software developers within Tesco Technology.
You will be responsible for
- Building maturity in the way we develop, deliver and operate services
- Ensuring that we’re learning from the best in the industry, designing and implementing appropriate testing and deployment strategies
- Understanding the wider Tesco architectural strategy and champion its application to the systems
- Managing competing priorities and bringing order to ambiguous scenarios
- Creating optimal outcomes combining short-term and long-term goals, utilising data driven decision making techniques to take appropriate trade-offs
- Identifying risks and proactively engaging with product and programme managers
- Participating in recruitment assessments and representing the best of Tesco Technology to attract new talent and encourage interest in our organisation.
You will need
- Take a problem where technical strategy or approach is defined and come up with the solution design and drives the implementation with a fair level of autonomy including interacting with other SDEs in the same team or peer teams
- Reach out for direction proactively in case of ambiguities or constraints
- Own the delivery of a major component in a service or a small service entirely as part of a feature delivery
- Suggest improvements to processes and methodologies to enhance delivery speed quality
- Mentor and guide other WL1 SDEs in the team and help in hiring
- Question requirements and challenge where necessary
- Identify value of tasks & always work on the highest priority items
- Demonstrate a good understanding of at least one major programming language (Java)
- to Understand the framework and enough of the tool ecosystem of the chosen language implement end to end components with minimal assistance Comfortably produce and refactor code without assistance
- Test drive features in programming language of choice
- Understand different major language paradigms (OOPS/Functional)
- Understand presence of abstraction beneath language (JVM/CLR)
- Reason about complexity of algorithms (time and space) and code (cyclomatic)
- An in depth understanding of Public/Private/Hybrid Cloud solutions and experienced. in integrating public cloud into traditional hosting/delivery models with a specific
- Focus on Microsoft Azure and AWS.
- Experience in conducting cloud service maps and security considerations as part of a wider Cloud Adoption Framework.
- Extensive experience in architecting enterprise public cloud solutions.
- Experience with implementing Infrastructure as a Code with automation.
- Be comfortable with being responsible for the delivery of significant cloud and automation projects.
- Understand and resolve complex issues
- Identify design patterns in code
- Implement design patterns with guidance
- Comfortably translate small behaviour requirements into tasks & code
- Understand how high-quality code can lead to rapid delivery
- Write clean maintainable code
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of domains and domain modelling
- Seek out and use appropriate abstractions
- Understand patterns for integration (events/services)
- Understand how to leverage existing functionality outside immediate project
- Understand scope of project and when to move behaviour to other services
- Understand continuous integration and continuous delivery
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of CI tooling
- Writes tests to ensure CI/CD processes work
- Understand BDD/TDD/Performance/Security/Smoke testing
- Demonstrate a good working knowledge of one relevant operating system
- Security & Networking