The following content displays a map of the jobs location - Welwyn Garden City
Senior VMware Engineer
This job has been closed.
What’s in it for you
We offer excellent benefits that help make Tesco a great place to work! These include but are not limited to:
- Annual bonus scheme
- Holiday starting at 25 days plus a personal day (and bank holidays)
- Great colleague discounts and deals, saving you money on everyday purchases, utility bills for the home and more
- Retirement savings plan – save between 4% and 7.5% and Tesco will match your contribution
- Buy as you earn and Save as you earn share schemes
- Opportunities to get on – take advantage of our ongoing learning opportunities and award-winning training to help you achieve the career you want
About the role
An Advanced Engineering professional who masters one technology domain. Broad knowledge of further technology domains and complementary skills (commercial, JDI,
Virtualization, etc). Represents Infrastructure/Systems Engineering across all of Tesco Technology and with suppliers. Designs and delivers Infrastructure solutions
involving multiple Infrastructure domains which enable the acceleration of infrastructure capability making it easier for Engineering teams to consume technologies, and
own and shape the direction of significant areas of value.
You will be responsible for
Represent Infrastructure/Systems Engineering across all of Tesco Technology and with suppliers
Design and deliver Infrastructure solutions involving multiple Infrastructure areas related to Virtualization technologies
Own and shape the direction of significant areas of value
Collaborate with Software Engineering teams who are adopting new technologies to the infrastructure products
Collaborate with a wider area or teams to drive overall enterprise design
Demonstrate leadership qualities by coaching and mentor others to achieve team objectives. Raise the bar of your business unit
Introduce new tools and methodologies when appropriate to simplify or increase the efficiency of development
Understand when new tools may not be appropriate
Introduce new Infrastructure Technologies into Tesco
Adaptive to changes in technology or support scope
Prepare and maintain technical documents & presentations for systems engineering and system operations
Proficient in spoken and written English and comfortable communicating to leaders and engineers
Experience in designing and driving service improvement or projects of large and complex
You will need
• Knowledge of VMware products with experience running and supporting
• Knowledge of infrastructure automation tools
• Automate Recovery, testing of Security Compliance, performance testing
• Produce high-level-design for requirements network needs
• Produce high-level-design for requirements EUD needs
• Recommend OS changes for a requirement
• Understand the elastic scale and building high availability systems
• Understand live testing & the chaos monkey
• Understand micro-services and their impact on infrastructure
• Understand current application development techniques (12-factor app) and their
implications to infrastructure
• Understand the concept of containerization and their benefits
• Understand Initiate supplier Proof of Concept activity.
• Ability to support business cases by evaluating suitable products for their
technology and commercial impact on Tesco and assist the business team in
making the right decision.
Our vision at Tesco is to become every customer’s favourite way to shop, whether they are at home or out on the move. Our core purpose is “Serving our customers, communities and planet a little better every day”. Serving means more than a transactional relationship with our customers. It means acting as a responsible and sustainable business for all stakeholders, for the communities we are part of, and for the planet.
We are proud to have an inclusive culture at Tesco where everyone truly feels able to be themselves. At Tesco, we not only celebrate diversity, but recognise the value and opportunity it brings. We’re committed to creating a workplace where differences are valued, and make sure that all colleagues are given the same opportunities. We’re a big business with diverse working patterns and many business areas which means that we can find something that works for you. Everyone is welcome at Tesco.
We have recently announced that we are moving to a more blended working week – combining office and remote working. Our offices continue to be where we connect, collaborate and innovate. Talk to us about how this can work for you.
Note: Should you be successful in your application, your employment will be subject to and conditional upon you providing your bank account details on your agreed start date.