The following content displays a map of the jobs location - London
Senior Data Analyst
This job has been closed.
What’s in it for you
We offer excellent benefits that help make Tesco a great place to work! These include but are not limited to:
- Annual bonus scheme
- Holiday starting at 25 days plus a personal day (and bank holidays)
- Great colleague discounts and deals, saving you money on everyday purchases, utility bills for the home and more
- Retirement savings plan – save between 4% and 7.5% and Tesco will match your contribution
- Buy as you earn and Save as you earn share schemes
- Opportunities to get on – take advantage of our ongoing learning opportunities and award-winning training to help you achieve the career you want
About the role
As a Senior Data Analyst you will not only take on your own projects, often the most complex and challenging, but help to support and train other team members. You will also be expected to participate in wider discussions and initiatives within Technology, offering solutions to problems and helping to ensure Tesco maximises the value of its data assets. It would best suit a highly experienced analyst who is looking to gain the additional experience required to take their next step into management.
About the Analytics Team:
The Analytics Capabilities & Optimisation team is a team of Data Analysts, BI experts, Analytics Engineers and Product Managers. It is responsible for defining, prioritising and delivering the self-serve analytics strategy, event streaming and optimisation capability, methods and components for enabling real-time, data-driven decision making and customer data insight across all of Tesco’s businesses. It accelerates the self-serve delivery of ad-hoc insight from customer data and enhances the value of our analysis to the business and customers. It connects the customer analytics and insight innovation needs of Tesco’s businesses to our core data platform, tools and services.
You will be responsible for
- Translate customer needs and business questions into detailed technical and functional requirements for analysis or self-service analytics. Then translate results back. Actively question the commercial drivers of such requirements, the stakeholder objectives, and challenge the rationality of approach.
- Analyse structured and unstructured data from customer transactions and business operations, then present insights and well-argued recommendations.
- Build automated performance trackers and dashboards where appropriate, balancing business need with technical debt
- Coach, train and support members of the team and be a role model for professionalism and best practice, deputising for Analytics Manager as and when required.
- Challenge how we deliver analytics within Tesco and offer ideas and solutions to improve and change
- Work with the business and Analytics community to expand the types of analytical approaches in areas such as automation, pattern analysis and clustering.
- Develop close working relationships with stakeholders, effectively listening and understanding their needs and applying persuasive skills to influence and inspire others.
- Write well-formed code supporting the development of big data-oriented solutions solving complete data integration or analytic use cases with the production-ready precision.
- Actively contribute to our data dictionary and business reference materials, with documentation and articles demonstrating best practice and case studies.
You will need
You will need:
- A strong personal interest in Data Analytics, both in the execution, the technology and market trends
- Deep understanding and extensive experience using database/datastore technologies, from traditional RDMS solutions to NoSQL/Distributed file systems.
- Expertise querying massive datasets using a variety of SQL dialects, with demonstrable understanding of query optimisation and relational modelling
- Experience building and debugging complex data blending and preparation routines, either using scripting e.g. Python and/or other data blending tools/languages.
- Extensive experience and practice in the creation and implementation of data visualisation solutions, with solid awareness of data visualisation principles
- Solid understanding of computer science principles (networks, software architecture)
- Understanding of how to test, measure and validate your outputs. Able to translate findings to non-technical audience.
- Experience building ETL pipelines
- Experience coaching and developing more junior team members, both from a technical and personal skills perspective
- Creativity, confidence, flexibility, ability to plan and organise, responsiveness, self-starter
- Excellent interpersonal skills, a trusted advisor
- Comfortable with ambiguity and able to navigate a fast moving, complex environment
- A natural planner looking ahead, raising issues, providing solutions and meeting deadlines.
- Strong written, verbal communication and presentation skills
Our vision at Tesco is to become every customer’s favourite way to shop, whether they are at home or out on the move. Our core purpose is “Serving our customers, communities and planet a little better every day”. Serving means more than a transactional relationship with our customers. It means acting as a responsible and sustainable business for all stakeholders, for the communities we are part of, and for the planet.
We are proud to have an inclusive culture at Tesco where everyone truly feels able to be themselves. At Tesco, we not only celebrate diversity, but recognise the value and opportunity it brings. We’re committed to creating a workplace where differences are valued, and make sure that all colleagues are given the same opportunities. We’re a big business with diverse working patterns and many business areas which means that we can find something that works for you. Everyone is welcome at Tesco.
We have recently announced that we are moving to a more blended working week – combining office and remote working. Our offices continue to be where we connect, collaborate and innovate. Talk to us about how this can work for you.
Note: Should you be successful in your application, your employment will be subject to and conditional upon you providing your bank account details on your agreed start date.