Principal Product Manager - Customer Payments
What’s in it for you
We offer excellent benefits that help make Tesco a great place to work! These include but are not limited to:
- Annual bonus scheme of up to 45% of base salary
- Car allowance of £7320 per annum
- Holiday starting at 25 days plus a personal day (and bank holidays)
- Private medical insurance offered through Bupa
- Retirement savings plan – save between 4% and 7.5% and Tesco will match your contribution
- Life Assurance at 5x contractual pay
- Buy as you earn and Save as you earn share schemes
About the role
Tesco is one of Europe’s largest retailers and accepts over 2.5 billion customer payments per year.
Our product vision is to make payment a reason to shop more of Tesco, more often. We offer payment services that are effective, efficient, safe and rewarding. Our team enables customer payment innovation across a single, global, omnichannel retail platform that is outstanding to Tesco.
The Principal Product Manager will be responsible for the product vision & strategy for payments. They are Tesco’s domain authority, traversing team boundaries, handling trade-offs, and able to collaborative confidently with both technical and non-technical audiences. The Principal Product Manager will empower Product Managers and Engineers to deliver with speed and impact.
They will initiate product discovery, seeing opportunities to incrementally support the vision in ways which are valuable (and usable) for customers, technically feasible, and viable for the Tesco business.
They will be obsessive about the role of payments play in customers’ lives and how payments impact customers’ overall experience with Tesco. They will combine market, internal and customer perspectives, to build the insights that focus our teams on the most important problems to solve for Tesco customers. They will supervise and emerging trends and technologies and understand how these can solve payments problems for customers in new ways.
They will work as part of the Payments team in Tesco Technology, a cross functional Agile product development team of engineers, technology product managers and programme managers. We are based in office locations in the United Kingdom (London and Welwyn Garden City), India (Bengaluru) and Hungary (Budapest). We are responsible for payment experience and processing for all Tesco markets globally. Working locally, thinking globally!
You will be responsible for
- Payments domain expert and well connected across the payments industry. A network that includes schemes, PSPs, and other merchant teams in non-competing markets would be an advantage. They will have a close knowledge of the business of payments, the role of parties in the value chain and economics.
- Manage an API platform as a product to enable digital transformation and create new lines of business
- Build scalable, resilience transactional services as part of a wider service orientated architecture for multiple consumers and front-end apps to use
- Business process mapping, workflow optimisation, human centred design
- Technically proficient to influence and understand the solution context and approach (legacy, tactical, strategic) and aid engineering in estimating the complexity of work being requested
- Have proven success in leading a team of highly talented and outspoken product managers and taken multiple ideas from conception to go-live, through standard software product development lifecycle and got measurable success across defined Outcomes and Key Results
- Efficient in stakeholder management and has ability to steer the team in the right direction by putting the best team members in the most value generating Products/ Business priorities
You will need
Product Vision and Strategy
- Works across the market, industry, and organisation to drive a product vision
- Knows the business strategy and is experienced in aligning their product vision to it
- Creates, leads, and implements product strategy
- Implements an outcome focused mindset in the team
- Strong technical knowledge
- A strategic thinker. Experience looking ahead and making minor corrections to avoid bottlenecks in the future.
- Has managed a roadmap for a portfolio of products
- Knows the difference between waterfall vs. agile
- Experience of working in different flavours of agile
- Experience coaching others to lead the ceremonies involved in an agile process and knows the purpose of them
- Strong working relationships with Researchers, Designers and Analysts
- Experience providing direction to multiple product teams
- Uses a range of research techniques to deliver value
- Uses personas effectively
- Different design and testing techniques e.g. AB tests. Coaches others on what the results mean
- Instils a test and learn culture that encourages innovation
- Considers safety, security, and privacy from the outset
Delivery and Optimisation
- Prioritises effectively
- Makes decisions based on data
- Tests the riskiest assumption first
- Delivers value in slices
- Manages dependencies
- Keeps everyone informed, up to date and aligned
- Has delivered change in a Retail environment (in-store, online)
- Collaboration: You work across the business to achieve shared success
- Empathy: You build strong relationships with customers and colleagues
- Responsiveness: You are agile in the way you think, make decisions and handle change
- Resilience: You know your own source of energy and keep yourself fit for life
- Innovation: You keep your eyes open so you can lead the business for the future
Our vision at Tesco is to become every customer’s favourite way to shop, whether they are at home or out on the move. Our core purpose is “Serving our customers, communities and planet a little better every day”. Serving means more than a transactional relationship with our customers. It means acting as a responsible and sustainable business for all stakeholders, for the communities we are part of, and for the planet.
We are proud to have an inclusive culture at Tesco where everyone truly feels able to be themselves. At Tesco, we not only celebrate diversity, but recognise the value and opportunity it brings. We’re committed to creating a workplace where differences are valued, and make sure that all colleagues are given the same opportunities. We’re a big business with diverse working patterns and many business areas which means that we can find something that works for you. Everyone is welcome at Tesco.
We have recently announced that we are moving to a more blended working week – combining office and remote working. Our offices continue to be where we connect, collaborate and innovate. Talk to us about how this can work for you.
Note: Should you be successful in your application, your employment will be subject to and conditional upon you providing your bank account details on your agreed start date.