Senior Software Engineer - Payments
What’s in it for you
We offer excellent benefits that help make Tesco a great place to work! These include but are not limited to:
- Annual bonus scheme
- Holiday starting at 25 days plus a personal day (and bank holidays)
- Great colleague discounts and deals, saving you money on everyday purchases, utility bills for the home and more
- Retirement savings plan – save between 4% and 7.5% and Tesco will match your contribution
- Buy as you earn and Save as you earn share schemes
- Opportunities to get on – take advantage of our ongoing learning opportunities and award-winning training to help you achieve the career you want
About the role
The engineers in our Identity build the APIs that securely identify customers across all touchpoints with Tesco around the globe: online, over the phone, and in-store with Clubcards. You’ll focus on making our experiences as streamlined for customers as possible, by exploring groundbreaking authentication factors like biometrics and using ML technologies to dynamically assess the risk of each individual customer session. Your work will be at the heart of all new propositions across the Tesco Group, like our new Clubcard Plus subscription service. All of this happens in a world where scale and resilience are essential – serving over a billion API calls every week in only a handful of milliseconds each!
The stack: Java, Kotlin, Cassandra, MySQL, Oracle, Azure, AWS, Apache Spark, and Kafka
You would also be responsible for the software throughout the lifecycle; we maintain a DevOps culture, employing continuous integration and delivery, supporting our code through to production and beyond, as well as being firm believers in TDD.
You will be responsible for
- Both writing code and contributing to system architecture & design, applying your understanding of cohesion and the SOLID principles to create well structured, maintainable software.
- Consistently delivering against the product and engineering backlogs, qorking effectively with product teams to communicate and translate needs into product improvements.
- Contributing to the definition of features for services owned by the team.
- Supporting your and your team’s code all the way to production.
- Pair programming, reviewing pull requests and giving constructive feedback
- Continuously improving yourself and your team by suggesting and helping implement new Engineering processes, practices and technologies.
- Mentoring colleagues.
- Presenting your and your team’s progress to your team members, your Manager and wider Tesco colleagues.
You will need
- An understanding and experience of Lean and Agile dev methodologies
- Experience utilising different testing practises, including TDD.
- Experience of continuous integration, automated deployments, and other DevOps practises.
- Experience of designing and implementing Restful APIs.
- Experience with both NoSQL and cloud technologies.
Our vision at Tesco is to become every customer’s favourite way to shop, whether they are at home or out on the move. Our core purpose is “Serving our customers, communities and planet a little better every day”. Serving means more than a transactional relationship with our customers. It means acting as a responsible and sustainable business for all stakeholders, for the communities we are part of, and for the planet.
We are proud to have an inclusive culture at Tesco where everyone truly feels able to be themselves. At Tesco, we not only celebrate diversity, but recognise the value and opportunity it brings. We’re committed to creating a workplace where differences are valued, and make sure that all colleagues are given the same opportunities. We’re a big business with diverse working patterns and many business areas which means that we can find something that works for you. Everyone is welcome at Tesco.
We have recently announced that we are moving to a more blended working week – combining office and remote working. Our offices continue to be where we connect, collaborate and innovate. Talk to us about how this can work for you.
Note: Should you be successful in your application, your employment will be subject to and conditional upon you providing your bank account details on your agreed start date.