Head of Product - Colleague Platform
What’s in it for you
We offer excellent benefits that help make Tesco a great place to work! These include but are not limited to:
- Annual bonus scheme of up to 45% of base salary
- Car allowance of £7320 per annum
- Holiday starting at 25 days plus a personal day (and bank holidays)
- Private medical insurance offered through Bupa
- Retirement savings plan – save between 4% and 7.5% and Tesco will match your contribution
- Life Assurance at 5x contractual pay
- Buy as you earn and Save as you earn share schemes
About the role
About Tesco Technology
Our vision here at Tesco is to become every customer's favourite way to shop, whether they are at home, in store, on the move … anywhere in their world. With our unrivalled physical and digital assets and an ambitious investment programme, we aim to become the world's best multi-channel retailer.
Everything is underpinned by our continuous drive for the best tools and technology to deliver our vision. We’re driving innovation, evolving our product development process and transforming our technology to become the world’s leading e-commerce business.
We need people who share our ambition to deliver for our customers. We want passionate, talented and hardworking individuals willing to take the initiative and drive us forwards. In return we offer a huge challenge, strong support, a great team, an excellent benefit package, and significant career development opportunities.
About the Colleague Technology
The purpose of Colleague Technology is to earn the trust of our colleagues in a simple and helpful way. The programme aims to provide colleagues with a better experience of working at Tesco, enhanced by technology that’s accessible anywhere and available to everyone. By increasing our self-serve capability, reducing manual processes and admin our Colleagues will be able to focus on building skills and capability. Our Colleague APIs will be fundamental to delivering this outcome.
You will be responsible for
As Head of Product for the Colleague Platform, you will synthesize the vision for our APIs across all colleague digital experiences, globally. Building, running and motivating a talented product team to deliver on your strategy, you will work with internal and external stakeholders to identify and deliver on the right outcomes in this domain. You will ensure Tesco is ahead of the curve for security and data standards and regulations, while developing an API platform that will surprise and delight colleagues. Working side by side with your engineering, arthitecture and People counterparts, you will prioritise across your domain, resolving resource conflicts, and always putting the colleague first.
Whilst specific responsibilities will be dependent upon the changing needs of the Tesco business, the following provides an overview of the role’s key responsibilities and measures:
- Own the global product strategy and roadmap, delivering value across colleague domains at Tesco for all digital channels.
- Drive to maturity and continue to iterate to agreed outcomes, a multi-tenanted, global suite of services/APIs. You will be responsible for safeguarding global colleague data across several countries and markets.
- Collaborate with other APIs, for e.g., the Retail Platform, to share solutions and best practice across our colleague estate.
- Be the primary go-to resource for all matters relating to the Colleague Platform API domains and be able to clearly articulate how they are used throughout the company.
- Engage key stakeholders across Tesco, such as the colleague and store teams to define the right strategy for each of our populations, regions, and markets.
- Define the Outcomes and Key Results for your domain and deliver value in small iterations and often to the business and colleagues.
- Oversee & co-ordinate the product lifecycle of all APIs in your domain, including end-of-life planning for legacy systems.
- Balance resources and investments to maximise the value delivered.
- Be a product leader that can develop those around you to raise the calibre of product management throughout the org.
- Actively participate in recruiting for your team and others across the organisation.
- This role will best suit a strong technically focused candidate who enjoys working as part of a team, is well-organised, pragmatic and systemic thinker with an inquisitive mind who is motivated to make change for the better and, most importantly, puts our customers first.
You will need
- Articulating a complex product strategy in terms of consumer and business value.
- Experience and understanding of agile techniques to deliver world-beating API products.
- Experience leading and developing high-performance product management teams. Experience managing at least 5 direct reports.
- Experience managing multiple products through all phases of the software development lifecycle.
- Thinking at a conceptual level across multiple channels (web, mobile, tablets, PC) and enabling holistic user experiences and data handling.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills – you must be able to articulate complex concepts to a diverse audience.
- Experience of communicating effectively at CxO level.
- The ability to influence without authority.
- Bachelors degree or demonstrable experience required.
- Desirable to have strong knowledge and experience of high-volume transactional businesses (payments, retail, finance, etc.).
Our vision at Tesco is to become every customer’s favourite way to shop, whether they are at home or out on the move. Our core purpose is “Serving our customers, communities and planet a little better every day”. Serving means more than a transactional relationship with our customers. It means acting as a responsible and sustainable business for all stakeholders, for the communities we are part of, and for the planet.
We are proud to have an inclusive culture at Tesco where everyone truly feels able to be themselves. At Tesco, we not only celebrate diversity, but recognise the value and opportunity it brings. We’re committed to creating a workplace where differences are valued, and make sure that all colleagues are given the same opportunities. We’re a big business with diverse working patterns and many business areas which means that we can find something that works for you. Everyone is welcome at Tesco.
We have recently announced that we are moving to a more blended working week – combining office and remote working. Our offices continue to be where we connect, collaborate and innovate. Talk to us about how this can work for you.
Note: Should you be successful in your application, your employment will be subject to and conditional upon you providing your bank account details on your agreed start date.