The following content displays a map of the jobs location - Welwyn Garden City
Systems Engineer III - Networks
The job has expired.
What’s in it for you
- An annual bonus scheme.
- Colleague Clubcard (including a 2nd card for a family member) after 3 months service with 10% off most purchases at Tesco.
- Holiday starting at 25 days plus a personal day.
- A retirement savings plan - 4%-7.5% contribution rate.
- Life Assurance - 5 x contractual pay.
- Buy As You Earn Scheme which allows you to buy Tesco shares and save tax after 3 months of service.
- Save As You Earn Scheme which gives you the opportunity to save direct from your pay for three or five years with the option of using your savings to buy Tesco shares at a discounted price after 1 year of service.
- Access to Tesco Learning and Development Academy.
- Deals & Discounts through Tesco including Tesco Mobile & Tesco Bank.
- Deals and Discounts through many other external businesses.
- Cycle to work and Car Share Schemes.
- Onsite discounted Nuffield Health Gym.
- Subsidised Canteen.
About the role
The Infrastructure Engineering team design, develop, implement and operate all infrastructure used by Tesco Technology across our data centres, offices, stores and distribution centres. This encompasses multiple domains; private and public cloud, connectivity, end-user computing, CI/CD and monitoring toolkit. This includes both 3rd party and internally developed infrastructure applications and infrastructure that support the wider Tesco business.
As part of wider Infrastructure Team, Networks and Security Team design, develop, implement and operate all Network and Security infrastructure technologies that facilitate the both Infrastructure and the rest of Tesco Technology
Key activities include:
· Design, develop, implement and transition to operations large-scale, high-capacity and highly resilient network solutions that allow the rest of Infrastructure, Technology development teams and business colleagues to consume Networks and Security Service.
· Contribute to the strategy, objectives and high-level plans for Networks Infrastructure Service in order to best deliver requirements of Tesco Technology and thus the business.
· Defining and continually overseeing standards and simplification across the entire Networks estate.
· Driving innovation through transformation and Continual Service Improvement
· Work with suppliers, software and hardware to deliver the Technology and ultimately, business strategy
· Ensure that Network solutions where possible take advantage of modern automation technologies where possible through self-service APIs. This solutions will allow Networks and rest of Infrastructure to be consumed in a controlled, auditable and repeatable manner, automatically handling failure seamlessly.
· Designing, delivering, implementing and operating new and re-usable infrastructure solutions to meet both technological, financial and business requirements.Collaborate with other infrastructure and application teams, to create appropriate infrastructure solutions to facilitate both their and ultimately the business requirements
You will be responsible for
Whilst specific responsibilities will be dependent upon the changing needs of the Tesco business, the following provides an overview of the role’s key responsibilities and measures:
· Design and deliver network solutions using existing network infrastructure. Where new Network technologies are being introduced, implement them and establish best practice for their adoption. Resolve incidents and problems associated with the technical area of responsibility.
· Contribute to the Technology Roadmap for Tesco Network Services.
· Evaluate new tools and techniques being able to understand their value and impact.
· Lead group design discussions on my area of expertise and be able to present with authority to a variety of audiences.
· Collaborate with other technical teams to understand their requirements and assist them consuming Infrastructure in the most seamless way possible.
· Keep my technical skills up to date and keep track of new technologies, understanding how they might benefit the Technology team and wider Tesco.
· Introduce automation to all aspects of my day to day work.
This role will best suit an individual who enjoys working as part of a team, is well organised, pragmatic and a lateral thinker with an inquisitive mind who is motivated to make change for the better and, most importantly, puts our customers first.
You will need
Skills / Experience Required
- Experience designing and deploying solutions for large, complex global organisations
- Analytical and structured approach to design, process and advanced trouble-shooting
- Work with Architecture to produce and maintain high quality HLD/LLD and maintain standard documentation for area of responsibility.
- Well organised self-starter who takes personal ownership and accountability at required levels of the work stream and project life cycles; willing to go the extra mile at every opportunity
- Builds and maintains positive relationships within and across teams
- Communicates effectively, able to deliver and present both written and verbal, designs, strategies and concepts clearly.
- Take ownership, to keep up-to-date and embrace the latest industry technologies and associated supplier solutions.
Required Technology Skills
- Strong network system administration experience and very familiar with IP protocol, DNS, IPAM, BIND, NTP, DHCP
- Solid knowledge of DNS/DHCP/IPAM using Bluecat products
- Good understanding of Windows Server DNS
- Knowledge of DDI integrations into cloud provisioning and orchestration platforms (private/hybrid/public)
- Understanding of containerisation DNS functions (K3/K8 and Docker)
- Working knowledge of associated automation technologies (API, Python, Java, Perl)
- Experience with SIEM (Splunk), logging optimisation and visualisation
Desirable Technical Skills
- Experience with IPv6 DDI deployments
- Understanding of DNS and DHCP migration strategies
- Knowledge of Internet DNS Management (Neustar and Akamai)
- Experience of load balancing platforms and technologies, preferably F5, Global/DNS balancing technologies
- Experience with Firewall technologies specifically Palo Alto
- Packet capture and debugging tools such as Wireshark