The following content displays a map of the jobs location - London
Senior Systems Engineer (Linux, Kubernetes, DevOps)
What’s in it for you
We offer excellent benefits that help make Tesco a great place to work! These include but are not limited to:
- Annual bonus scheme
- Holiday starting at 25 days plus a personal day (and bank holidays)
- Great colleague discounts and deals, saving you money on everyday purchases, utility bills for the home and more
- Retirement savings plan – save between 4% and 7.5% and Tesco will match your contribution
- Buy as you earn and Save as you earn share schemes
- Opportunities to get on – take advantage of our ongoing learning opportunities and award-winning training to help you achieve the career you want
About the role
We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced Senior Systems Engineer to join our Data Platforms team. In the Data Platforms team, we focus on solving complex business problems developing products that can be deployed at scale to our customers. Our work spans across multiple platforms that support business areas including Stores, Online, Fulfilment, Marketing and Clubcard.
Our core work involves designing and building the data platforms that will support the development of data products both internally and externally.
About the role
As a Systems Engineer for Data Platforms, you are an integral part of Tesco Technology's Data and Analytics team. You have accountability for the engineering excellence of the data platform, evolving engineering practices to meet the changing demand. You use your technical breadth and depth to build and operate mission-critical systems at scale and inspiring engineering community you interact with.
You will need to identify, own, and ultimately drive projects for building, standardising, and improving our technical solutions in automation and integration, along with helping to up-skill the team through training and education initiatives.
You will be expected to help guide the roadmap for how best we deploy and operate platforms on behalf of Technology, as well as playing an active part in continuing to build a fantastic and talented team!
You will be responsible for
Whilst specific responsibilities will be dependent upon the changing needs of the Tesco business, the following provides an overview of the role’s key responsibilities and measures.
- Establishing and sharing standards for engineering excellence
- Transforming the data platforms without impact to existing levels of service
- Designing solutions that will operate at scale with high availability and automation
- Building globally, ensuring consistency in approach throughout all our locations in the UK, Europe and Asia
- Ensuring operational stability is balanced with engineering and roadmap delivery
- Driving adoption of new tools and techniques, being able to understand their value and impact
- Keeping technical skills up to date and keeping track of new technologies, industry trends, understanding how they might benefit the Technology team and wider Tesco
You will need
- Track record of managing mission-critical, multi-data centre and hybrid environments with large-scale service in a global organisation.
- Strong technical knowledge and troubleshooting skills with Linux (CentOS/RHEL/Ubuntu).
- Experience with automation tooling, including Jenkins, GitHub, Terraform, Ansible and Infrastructure as Code in general.
- Experience working with Azure.
- Adapt to CI/CD routines.
- Substantial experience with Docker, Kubernetes, and Rancher
- Strong operations experience, including networking troubleshooting and common monitoring patterns; experience with Prometheus, Grafana and Splunk.
- Knowledge about networking technologies (TCP/IP, routing, DNS, LBs, firewalls, network virtualization with NSX-T and Azure).
- Ability to develop and understand code, with any of the following languages: Bash, Python, Go or Java.
- A good understanding of both ITIL and Agile processes.
- Fundamental knowledge of VMWare infrastructure is desirable.
- To keep up to date with the latest trends and developments in DevOps tools and processes
- Strong communication skills with the ability to relay technical content to colleagues of varying backgrounds, at all levels of seniority
- Strong written communication skills and a desire to produce accurate, comprehensible documentation
- Ability to interpret, discuss, and contribute to architecture and solution designs, considering security and effective operation
- Good understanding of Object storage technologies, such as Ceph s3 and Azure blob storage.
- Experience using and contributing to the open-source community and best practices of using it within an enterprise environment
Our vision at Tesco is to become every customer’s favourite way to shop, whether they are at home or out on the move. Our core purpose is “Serving our customers, communities and planet a little better every day”. Serving means more than a transactional relationship with our customers. It means acting as a responsible and sustainable business for all stakeholders, for the communities we are part of, and for the planet.
We are proud to have an inclusive culture at Tesco where everyone truly feels able to be themselves. At Tesco, we not only celebrate diversity, but recognise the value and opportunity it brings. We’re committed to creating a workplace where differences are valued, and make sure that all colleagues are given the same opportunities. We’re a big business with diverse working patterns and many business areas which means that we can find something that works for you. Everyone is welcome at Tesco.
We have recently announced that we are moving to a more blended working week – combining office and remote working. Our offices continue to be where we connect, collaborate and innovate. Talk to us about how this can work for you.
Note: Should you be successful in your application, your employment will be subject to and conditional upon you providing your bank account details on your agreed start date.