The following content displays a map of the jobs location - London
Senior Software Engineer - Search & Recommendations
What’s in it for you
We offer excellent benefits that help make Tesco a great place to work! These include but are not limited to:
- Annual bonus scheme
- Holiday starting at 25 days plus a personal day (and bank holidays)
- Great colleague discounts and deals, saving you money on everyday purchases, utility bills for the home and more
- Retirement savings plan – save between 4% and 7.5% and Tesco will match your contribution
- Buy as you earn and Save as you earn share schemes
- Opportunities to get on – take advantage of our ongoing learning opportunities and award-winning training to help you achieve the career you want
About the role
The engineers in our Search & Recommendations team build the APIs that ensure that the results of our customer searches on all of our platforms are accurate and relevant, and the work you can do in the domain will go beyond the usual duties of a backend engineer. Apart from being exposed to cutting edge cloud and server-side technologies, you will work closely with data science teams, applying models and algorithms to improve the engine behind the services, helping users to discover the products they really want - and all of this happening in a handful of milliseconds! This is a fantastic opportunity to work in a domain where small changes lifting the performance of the APIs have a huge impact, both for customers but also in terms of £millions of annualised revenue for Tesco.
- Java 11
- Kubernetes & Docker
We are responsible for the software throughout the lifecycle. We maintain a DevOps culture employing continuous integration and delivery, supporting our code through to production and beyond.
You will be responsible for
- Using in-depth knowledge of at least one major programming language, the framework, and the tool ecosystem to implement end-to-end systems without assistance.
- Translating requirements into tasks & code.
- Producing test-driven features and demonstrating your familiarity with the TDD cycle.
- Applying your understanding of cohesion and the SOLID principles to create well structured, maintainable software.
- Working with product teams to communicate and translate needs into product improvements.
- Supporting production systems, resolving incidents, and performing root cause analysis.
- Sharing knowledge with the wider engineering community.
- Producing proof of concepts to evaluate new tools.
You will need
- Commercial experience developing in Java and ability to deliver with little to no supervision.
- Experience with Java 8+
- Experience with cloud platforms (e.g. Azure, AWS, etc.).
- Experience with both SQL & NoSQL databases.
- Experience with Microservices (vert.x, Micronaut).
- Experience with Kubernetes and Docker.
- Experience scaling and building low-latency systems
- Experience working with multiple software development methodologies including Scrum & Kanban
- Experience with eCommerce and search systems would be a nice to have but isn't vital.
- Experience with reactive programming is considered a plus.
Our vision at Tesco is to become every customer’s favourite way to shop, whether they are at home or out on the move. Our core purpose is “Serving our customers, communities and planet a little better every day”. Serving means more than a transactional relationship with our customers. It means acting as a responsible and sustainable business for all stakeholders, for the communities we are part of, and for the planet.
We are proud to have an inclusive culture at Tesco where everyone truly feels able to be themselves. At Tesco, we not only celebrate diversity, but recognise the value and opportunity it brings. We’re committed to creating a workplace where differences are valued, and make sure that all colleagues are given the same opportunities. We’re a big business with diverse working patterns and many business areas which means that we can find something that works for you. Everyone is welcome at Tesco.
We have recently announced that we are moving to a more blended working week – combining office and remote working. Our offices continue to be where we connect, collaborate and innovate. Talk to us about how this can work for you.
Note: Should you be successful in your application, your employment will be subject to and conditional upon you providing your bank account details on your agreed start date.