Systems Engineer III - Infrastructure Architect
What’s in it for you
We offer excellent benefits that help make Tesco a great place to work! These include but are not limited to:
- Annual bonus scheme
- Holiday starting at 25 days plus a personal day (and bank holidays)
- Great colleague discounts and deals, saving you money on everyday purchases, utility bills for the home and more
- Retirement savings plan – save between 4% and 7.5% and Tesco will match your contribution
- Buy as you earn and Save as you earn share schemes
- Opportunities to get on – take advantage of our ongoing learning opportunities and award-winning training to help you achieve the career you want
About the role
The Infrastructure Architect Systems Engineer III is responsible for contributing and maintaining the roadmaps for Infrastructure products. They collaborate extensively with application, engineering teams, stakeholders, customers, and vendors to evaluate new products and techniques; resulting in architecting and designing new and existing Infrastructure products for the wider Tesco Technology teams to consume.
As an Infrastructure Architect Systems Engineer III, I can:
- Contribute and maintain architecture roadmaps, including technology lifecycle management, for Infrastructure.
- Architect and design new infrastructure solutions to meet business requirements, while introducing automation and ensuring security is by design.
- Collaborate with other teams across all of Tesco Technology to understand their requirements and ensure infrastructure products are aligned.
- Contribute and develop Infrastructure as a Product
You will be responsible for
Prerequisites for Role
Skills as demonstrated by Systems Engineer III
Infrastructure Architect Systems Engineer III Skills
Design & Operations
- Investigate and identify trends and emerging Infrastructure technologies and techniques that would deliver a significant improvement to Tesco’s business, application, or Infrastructure teams.
- Contribute and maintain the roadmap and product lifecycle for Infrastucture, advising on new technology products. To ensure capacity and scalability, as demand and usage evolve within Tesco.
- Contribute to the Architecture forum, ensuring that business projects are delivered using good infrastructure practices.
- Collaborates with development and infrastructure teams in creating appropriate infrastructure solutions. Understands modern application development techniques and their implications.
- Lead group design discussions and be able to present with authority to a variety of audience.
- Using your understanding of cost, service requirements, technology, and people to make recommendations on existing solutions and where they could be improved or should be decommissioned.
- Accountable for ensuring Security and Automation is by design
- Working with the Principal System Engineers and Enterprise Architects ensuring standards and guidance for design and architecture are maintained across Technology and effectively communicated.
- Have a broad technical understanding of infrastructure products, how they fit together and align to the wider technology landscape.
- Work with suppliers to ensure that their architectural roadmaps align to supporting Tesco systems.
- Work with infrastructure teams to ensure that they produce and maintain high quality HLD/LLD and maintain standard documentation.
- Take ownership of, keep up-to-date and embrace the latest industry technologies and associated supplier solutions.
Leadership & Potential
- Collaborate across multifunctional departments to drive forward the overall enterprise design
- Use strategic thinking to plan for the future. Develop ideas that will cope with changing environments and challenges that lie ahead.
- Well organised self-starter who takes personal ownership and accountability at required levels of the work stream and project life cycles; willing to go the extra mile at every opportunity
- Keep your technical skills up to date and keep track of new technologies, understanding how they might benefit the Technology team and wider Tesco.
- Using a bigger picture perspective to approach issues, influence and make decisions.
- Leverage feedback to drive continuous improvement.
- Collaborate across multifunctional departments and communicate effectively with stakeholder at all levels.
- Lead by example in creating a positive and supportive culture in the team.
- Celebrate success
- Anticipate and overcomes obstacles with a pragmatic approach to achieve goals and commitments. While exhibiting high responsiveness by reacting quickly and positively to significant and major events
- Help to understand and develop architecture and development cycle skills and capabilities in the team
- Help to mentor and educate System Engineers and Software Development Engineers across Technology.
- Ability to demonstrate strong written, verbal communication and presentation skills to a variety of audiences.
- Flexibility, ability to plan and organise, responsiveness, creativity, self-starter
- Proficient in spoken and written English.
You will need
- SME (Subject Matter Expert) in at least one area of infrastructure; This encompasses multiple domains; private and public cloud, platforms, network security and connectivity, end-user computing, CI/CD and monitoring toolkit.
- Experience designing and deploying solutions for large, complex global organisations
- Analytical and structured approach to architecture, design, and process improvements
- Understands current application development techniques and their implications.
- Facilitate Tesco Technology’s Infrastructure transformation to modern platforms that can be consumed through APIs or portals. These solutions should allow Infrastructure to be consumed in a controlled, auditable, and repeatable manner, with automatic recovery and full end to end service monitoring and operationalisation.
- Understand, contribute, and develop Infrastructure as a Product