Product Manager – Search
What’s in it for you
We offer excellent benefits that help make Tesco a great place to work! These include but are not limited to:
- Annual bonus scheme
- Holiday starting at 25 days plus a personal day (and bank holidays)
- Great colleague discounts and deals, saving you money on everyday purchases, utility bills for the home and more
- Retirement savings plan – save between 4% and 7.5% and Tesco will match your contribution
- Buy as you earn and Save as you earn share schemes
- Opportunities to get on – take advantage of our ongoing learning opportunities and award-winning training to help you achieve the career you want
About the role
As the Product Manager for Search, you will guide Search and Browse capabilities from creation through to execution. You will focus on building data driven features at scale providing relevant and robust products to our customers, impacting core business and customers metrics.
You will be part of the Discovery product team, responsible for managing the product vision, strategy and development for a suite of services (APIs) and associated customer experiences that are key to solving problems related to how Tesco customers find, discover and build their baskets, across all Tesco markets.
You will be responsible for
Whilst specific responsibilities will be dependent upon the changing needs of the Tesco business, the following provides an overview of the role’s key responsibilities and measures;
- Define and build high-scale, low latency performance based product discovery services, including definition and tuning of algorithmic parameters
- Ability to analyse large amounts of data, spot trends, and be able to use your insight to identify value driven decisions/outcomes
- Depreciating old APIs to ensure the relevant domain APIs own their data, and we streamline the suite of APIs search has to maintain. Ensuring that the switch causes minimal impact to the customer and also quantifying the benefit of the change
- Look for opportunities to extend the use of search & browse technology in new channels, markets and clients
- Ability to translate business goals, technology strategy and market knowledge into a product roadmap that prioritises delivery of value and enables future business agility
- Work with other Product Managers, partners, Researchers, UX, Data Science and the Engineering teams to deliver the roadmap using agile methodologies: prioritising requirements, answering development questions and resolving issues, always putting the customer first.
You will need
- Highly numerate and comfortable working with data
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- A methodical/ analytical approach and phenomenal problem-solving skills
- Attitude and the ability to learn new product area/domain quickly
- Ownership, responsiveness and dedication towards assigned work
- Strong decision making and prioritization skills, especially when multiple trade-offs are involved and faster decision are required
- Emotional intelligence and good listening skills to understand the needs/ problems of your customers/ partners
- Excellent facilitation to optimally facilitate requirement gathering/elicitation sessions with senior business leaders/ partners
- Knowledge of Agile methodologies, writing effective user stories/ acceptance criterion's
- Understanding of User Research/ Design Thinking concepts
- Understanding of APIs and the art of the possible
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and can gain respect and trust of team members and others working with you!
- Experience with agile development teams and workflows within JIRA, Confluence or similar systems; off shore development team experience is a plus!
Our vision at Tesco is to become every customer’s favourite way to shop, whether they are at home or out on the move. Our core purpose is “Serving our customers, communities and planet a little better every day”. Serving means more than a transactional relationship with our customers. It means acting as a responsible and sustainable business for all stakeholders, for the communities we are part of, and for the planet.
We are proud to have an inclusive culture at Tesco where everyone truly feels able to be themselves. At Tesco, we not only celebrate diversity, but recognise the value and opportunity it brings. We’re committed to creating a workplace where differences are valued, and make sure that all colleagues are given the same opportunities. We’re a big business with diverse working patterns and many business areas which means that we can find something that works for you. Everyone is welcome at Tesco.
We have recently announced that we are moving to a more blended working week – combining office and remote working. Our offices continue to be where we connect, collaborate and innovate. Talk to us about how this can work for you.
Note: Should you be successful in your application, your employment will be subject to and conditional upon you providing your bank account details on your agreed start date.