Senior Software Engineer (.NET)
What’s in it for you
We offer excellent benefits that help make Tesco a great place to work! These include but are not limited to:
- Annual bonus scheme
- Holiday starting at 25 days plus a personal day (and bank holidays)
- Great colleague discounts and deals, saving you money on everyday purchases, utility bills for the home and more
- Retirement savings plan – save between 4% and 7.5% and Tesco will match your contribution
- Buy as you earn and Save as you earn share schemes
- Opportunities to get on – take advantage of our ongoing learning opportunities and award-winning training to help you achieve the career you want
About the role
The payment services team is at the heart of Tesco Technology, serving 28 million+ shoppers in the UK and abroad. We deliver HTTP services that essentially manage payments at global scale, 24 hours a day every day. We also provide capabilities that detect and prevent fraud and build upon innovative technologies to reduce loss. There are 100M+ transactions and billions of events per day, a billion pounds every week.
At the core of our operation are the APIs that handle a variety of payment methods including cash, card and gift card across stores, at our fuel stations and online. We also support wallet behaviours, repeat payments, refunds and identity checks. They are built around an event sourcing architecture using various of Java, .NET, Akka, Micronaut, Cassandra, Postgres and Kafka. We embrace DevSecOps wherever possible. Automation is a key area of focus for us. Our scale and workloads demand that we continuously improve our approaches to testing and deployment. Kanban is the way we manage our work. We support what we code.
You will be responsible for
Typically, the role involves the following activities:
- Pairing with other engineers to write high quality code that’s easy to understand and work with.
- Writing tests - very often before the associated code - at unit level.
- Reviewing pull requests and giving good feedback.
- Attending backlog planning sessions to discuss and estimate (small, medium, large) upcoming stories.
- Taking part in understanding requirements and designing API endpoints and their implementations.
- Supporting the service, both during office hours and out of hours via paid support rota.
- Automating the build, provisioning and deployment in the cloud and our data centres.
- Implementing monitoring and alerting mechanisms via Splunk, Runscope and other tools.
- Building for security and user data privacy. We aspire for full PCI Compliance.
- Being involved with attracting and interviewing further excellent engineers for Tesco.
You will need
Experience relevant for this job:
- Core C# skills
- Designing and building distributed systems, for scalability, availability and performance
- Testing everything, automating everything
- Written and verbal communication skills
- Problem solving, analysis and computational skills
- Customer focus
- Innovative approach to problem solving
What will make you stand out:
- Experience in implementing Event Sourcing and Micro-service architecture
- Proficiency in Kubernetes
- Some experience in; Cassandra, Kafka, MySQL/Postgres
- Defensive or Offensive Security skill/certifications
- Some AWS/Azure skills
Our vision at Tesco is to become every customer’s favourite way to shop, whether they are at home or out on the move. Our core purpose is “Serving our customers, communities and planet a little better every day”. Serving means more than a transactional relationship with our customers. It means acting as a responsible and sustainable business for all stakeholders, for the communities we are part of, and for the planet.
We are proud to have an inclusive culture at Tesco where everyone truly feels able to be themselves. At Tesco, we not only celebrate diversity, but recognise the value and opportunity it brings. We’re committed to creating a workplace where differences are valued, and make sure that all colleagues are given the same opportunities. We’re a big business with diverse working patterns and many business areas which means that we can find something that works for you. Everyone is welcome at Tesco.
We have recently announced that we are moving to a more blended working week – combining office and remote working. Our offices continue to be where we connect, collaborate and innovate. Talk to us about how this can work for you.
Note: Should you be successful in your application, your employment will be subject to and conditional upon you providing your bank account details on your agreed start date.