The following content displays a map of the jobs location - London
Data Science Manager - Logistics
What’s in it for you
We offer excellent benefits that help make Tesco a great place to work! These include but are not limited to:
- Annual bonus scheme
- Holiday starting at 25 days plus a personal day (and bank holidays)
- Great colleague discounts and deals, saving you money on everyday purchases, utility bills for the home and more
- Retirement savings plan – save between 4% and 7.5% and Tesco will match your contribution
- Buy as you earn and Save as you earn share schemes
- Opportunities to get on – take advantage of our ongoing learning opportunities and award-winning training to help you achieve the career you want
About the role
Here at Tesco we focus on solving complex business problems and developing data products that can be deployed at scale to our customers. Our work spans across multiple areas including Stores, Online, Fulfilment, Marketing and Clubcard and we encourage rotation amongst our Data Scientists so they can apply their skills to different business challenges and gain deeper levels of subject matter expertise.
Our core work involves developing data products that can be deployed at scale both internally and externally. On any day you could be supporting the automation of decision-making across the business; optimising processes for key business objectives; or conducting deep-dive exploratory analysis to inform strategic decision-making.
You will be responsible for
Own your technical domain and lead technical engagements with multiple business units
Line manage Data Scientists and mentor/ coach the wider team in best approaches to optimisation problems
Help to define the strategic direction the team should take, trading off between contradicting priorities
Translate ambiguous business challenges into data science problems and applications
Manage, guide and mentor the team in their daily work
Communicate complex solutions in a clear, understandable way to non-experts
Work end-to-end on Data Science developments, contributing to all aspects of the project lifecycle which result in productionised data products
Scientifically analyse and evaluate the effectiveness of different approaches to guide future development and track the value created by the team
Build mathematical models on top of big data architectures to gain deep insights into opportunities to improve the customer experience and the Tesco business
Promote data science across Tesco, and promote Tesco across the external Data Science community
You will need
Skills relevant for the job:
- Specialist knowledge of a technical Data Science domain, for example operational research and Simulations, Machine Learning, Deep Learning, Forecasting, NLP or Statistics
- Experience with different programming languages and a high level of capability of at least one language –Python, Java, Scala, Go (or similar)
- Ability to influence senior stakeholders on technical topics
Experience relevant for this job:
- Experience of leading highly technical Data Science developments involving multiple stakeholders in the area of logistics
- Experience of coaching / mentoring others in technical approaches
- Experience of partnering with technology teams to productionize developments and roll out at scale
Our vision at Tesco is to become every customer’s favourite way to shop, whether they are at home or out on the move. Our core purpose is “Serving our customers, communities and planet a little better every day”. Serving means more than a transactional relationship with our customers. It means acting as a responsible and sustainable business for all stakeholders, for the communities we are part of, and for the planet.
We are proud to have an inclusive culture at Tesco where everyone truly feels able to be themselves. At Tesco, we not only celebrate diversity, but recognise the value and opportunity it brings. We’re committed to creating a workplace where differences are valued, and make sure that all colleagues are given the same opportunities. We’re a big business with diverse working patterns and many business areas which means that we can find something that works for you. Everyone is welcome at Tesco.
We have recently announced that we are moving to a more blended working week – combining office and remote working. Our offices continue to be where we connect, collaborate and innovate. Talk to us about how this can work for you.
Note: Should you be successful in your application, your employment will be subject to and conditional upon you providing your bank account details on your agreed start date