Technical Programme Manager - Payment
What’s in it for you
We offer excellent benefits that help make Tesco a great place to work! These include but are not limited to:
- Annual bonus scheme
- Holiday starting at 25 days plus a personal day (and bank holidays)
- Great colleague discounts and deals, saving you money on everyday purchases, utility bills for the home and more
- Retirement savings plan – save between 4% and 7.5% and Tesco will match your contribution
- Buy as you earn and Save as you earn share schemes
- Opportunities to get on – take advantage of our ongoing learning opportunities and award-winning training to help you achieve the career you want
About the role
“Tesco processes 2 billion card payments online and instore per year, securing and processing these payments is a huge operation.
As a programme manager you would work closely with Engineers, product managers and suppliers from the UK, India, Hungary and other geographic locations.
Initially you would be lead programmes to enhance the way we process and secure card payments across all Tesco fuel forecourts, in the future this would lead on to programmes focussing on other aspects of payment.
You would also have an opportunity to shape programme management principles and practices within the payment team as there is always room to inspect and adapt how we operate.
Many of our programmes are delivered through Kanban so would fit a candidate with good Agile background and knowledge
Payments is a challenging environment to work in. There are many legal and regulatory requirements to maintain while also supporting the business on new initiatives.
You will be responsible for
Whilst specific responsibilities will be dependent upon the changing needs of the Tesco business, the following provides an overview of the role’s key responsibilities and measures:
- Deliver complex programmes with multiple business and technical risks that will impact the success of key Tesco business priorities
- Create and track a plan to deliver the programme goals, including the technical implementation plan, ensuring colleagues and stakeholders from across Tesco are kept up to date
- Understand trade-offs in software delivery using experience and influencing skills to drive consensus with the Engineering and Product teams to obtain the best value and solution
- Foresee potential risks and issues, establish a process, facilitate discussion and manage escalations to unblock the route to delivery and keep programmes moving at speed
- Establish effective working relationships with the business and technology teams the programme is dependent on for successful delivery and help to identify and resolve conflicting priorities when they arise
- Evaluate trends and new concepts in programme and product delivery to identify improvements across the software development lifecycle
- Understand a technical architecture to be able to foresee the impact on dependencies, delivery timelines and implementation plans
- Have good knowledge of engineering best practices and practical infrastructure implementations to appreciate delivery challenges
- Collaborate with the Product and Engineering teams to define annual budgetary requirements and forecast monthly spend against the budgets
- Build positive relationships with suppliers & external stakeholders to deliver software or professional services, holding them to account on delivery and improvement plans
- Support vendor selection processes (tendering, agreeing SLAs, warranty periods, outsourcing)
- Contribute actively to the TPM community
You will need
- A proven record of accomplishment in delivering technology and/or infrastructure, in particular related to both third party providers and in-house development teams.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills – you must be able to articulate complex concepts to a diverse audience
- Strong understanding and managing within an agile framework through the entire Software development Lifecycle (Ideally experience of Kanban)
- The ability to influence without authority
- Strong Project, Stakeholder & Programme management skills
- Demonstrate resilience during incidents or change and continue delivery
- Understanding of agile techniques to deliver world beating products.
- Knowledge of the payment industry
- Experience of working with suppliers and 3rd parties
- Budget management
Our vision at Tesco is to become every customer’s favourite way to shop, whether they are at home or out on the move. Our core purpose is “Serving our customers, communities and planet a little better every day”. Serving means more than a transactional relationship with our customers. It means acting as a responsible and sustainable business for all stakeholders, for the communities we are part of, and for the planet.
We are proud to have an inclusive culture at Tesco where everyone truly feels able to be themselves. At Tesco, we not only celebrate diversity, but recognise the value and opportunity it brings. We’re committed to creating a workplace where differences are valued, and make sure that all colleagues are given the same opportunities. We’re a big business with diverse working patterns and many business areas which means that we can find something that works for you. Everyone is welcome at Tesco.
We have recently announced that we are moving to a more blended working week – combining office and remote working. Our offices continue to be where we connect, collaborate and innovate. Talk to us about how this can work for you.
Note: Should you be successful in your application, your employment will be subject to and conditional upon you providing your bank account details on your agreed start date.