The following content displays a map of the jobs location - Welwyn Garden City
Cloud Platform Engineer - Infrastructure
What’s in it for you
We offer excellent benefits that help make Tesco a great place to work! These include but are not limited to:
- Annual bonus scheme
- Holiday starting at 25 days plus a personal day (and bank holidays)
- Great colleague discounts and deals, saving you money on everyday purchases, utility bills for the home and more
- Retirement savings plan – save between 4% and 7.5% and Tesco will match your contribution
- Buy as you earn and Save as you earn share schemes
- Opportunities to get on – take advantage of our ongoing learning opportunities and award-winning training to help you achieve the career you want
About the role
Tesco Technology are looking for a Cloud Platform Engineer reporting into the Cloud Platform Engineering team. This is an exciting opportunity for a highly motivated DevOps focused engineer to join the team.
The role will involve being hands on with a focus on the availability and reliability of some of our most critical services whilst obsessively automating away operational burden. You will also be heavily involved in building our multi cloud strategy and platforms while developing standards and patterns for our engineering community.
You will also be supporting development teams as they build new services or migrate existing workloads to our cloud platforms.
You will be responsible for
Your key skills must include scripting, coding and automation as an enabler for our engineering teams to create new systems for scalable deployments and mission-critical operation of applications running on our cloud platform. Your role will have a focus on high availability, simplicity and scale, working comfortably within a collaborative, agile environment and using data to drive conversations and decisions.
There is a mix of software, systems and automation engineering, networking, data, and DevOps engineering in the role.
This is an individual contributor role that does not require people management.
You will need
You’ll need to have demonstrated experience of:
- Experienced in working within an DevOps, Cloud or SRE function, with a focus on availability, reliability and automation.
- Working in an Agile team and understand the Scrum Cycle.
- Exposure or understanding of CI/CD pipelines and how these feed into a micro services architecture.
- Exposure or understanding of containerisation platforms like Kubernetes, Docker, OpenShift or Rancher.
- Experience designing and working with fault tolerant, highly available, high traffic/throughput, distributed, scalable systems.
- Keen to cultivate a culture of collaboration, innovation and bringing industry standards to everything we do.
- Knowledge of : Cloud Technologies (Azure, AWS, Private), Windows, Linux, Security and Networking and Storage.
- Proficient in scripting languages eg Python, Power Shell, ARM, Cloud Formation, Terraform, UNIX Shell, Bash, Java, Node.JS or similar.
- Interpersonal skills and relationship building, will be a key part of this role. You instinctively work in a collaborative way and are comfortable working with a wide range of colleagues.
- Have a passion for technology and can share that passion with others.
- Proactive and able to operate independently. Comfortable with ambiguity.
- Flexible but persistent. You push for us to do the best for our customers and balance this with a sense of pragmatism when needed. You believe perfect is the enemy of production.
- You are resilient – you take ownership of seeing issues through to resolution whilst looking after yourself to be at your best.
Our vision at Tesco is to become every customer’s favourite way to shop, whether they are at home or out on the move. Our core purpose is “Serving our customers, communities and planet a little better every day”. Serving means more than a transactional relationship with our customers. It means acting as a responsible and sustainable business for all stakeholders, for the communities we are part of, and for the planet.
We are proud to have an inclusive culture at Tesco where everyone truly feels able to be themselves. At Tesco, we not only celebrate diversity, but recognise the value and opportunity it brings. We’re committed to creating a workplace where differences are valued, and make sure that all colleagues are given the same opportunities. We’re a big business with diverse working patterns and many business areas which means that we can find something that works for you. Everyone is welcome at Tesco.
We have recently announced that we are moving to a more blended working week – combining office and remote working. Our offices continue to be where we connect, collaborate and innovate. Talk to us about how this can work for you.
Note: Should you be successful in your application, your employment will be subject to and conditional upon you providing your bank account details on your agreed start date