Buying Manager - Ambient Salad and Herbs
The job has expired.
What’s in it for you
We offer excellent benefits that help make Tesco a great place to work. These include but aren’t limited to:
- Annual bonus scheme
- Holiday starting at 25 days plus a personal day (plus 8 Bank holidays)
- On-site state of the art gym at our Welwyn Campus with discounted “Gympass” membership & free health checks via Nuffield Health
- Retirement savings plan - save between 4% and 7.5% and Tesco will match your contribution
- Life Assurance - 5 x contractual pay
- Share Schemes – Join our ‘Buy As You Earn’ & ‘Save As You Earn’ share schemes after 3 months service
- Colleague Clubcard (including a 2nd card for a family member) after 3 months service
- Colleague Discounts:
- 10% increasing to 15% after every pay day for a four day period, off most purchases at Tesco
- 10% off One Stop
- 10% off pay monthly & SIM only deals with Tesco Mobile
- 20% off all F&F purchases
- 20% off car, pet and home insurance at Tesco bank. T&C’s apply
- 25% off Tesco Café
- 50% off complete glasses purchases & free eye tests (other offers available) at Vision Express
- 50% off health checks at Tesco Pharmacy
- An exclusive deals and discounts website saving you money on everyday purchases, treats for the family, eating out and utility bills for the home
- Cycle to work scheme
- Shuttle Bus Service to/from Welwyn Garden City Station to Welwyn Campus
- Opportunities to get on - take advantage of our ongoing learning opportunities and award-winning training, to help you achieve the job and career you want
- Our Employee Assistance Programme helps you deal with life’s challenges
- Financial wellness - Tesco has partnered with experts to help you make the most of your money
- Get involved in a range of fundraising activities with our long-term charity partners
About the role
Ambient Salad & Herbs is an established role that sits at the heart of the Produce Team. We are looking for someone who wants to get involved in building supplier relationships and has a passion for food.
The area covers key products for customers including Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Peppers, Herbs & Garlic which makes a key area to manage quality, availability and selling plans. As the area covers Aldi Price Match (APM), Key Quality indicators (KQI) and will play an important part of our differentiation through the strong Finest & Organic brands it presents an opportunity to stretch your selling strategy.
The supply base has recently gone through a reset to create a more direct relationship with growers at source. This will give the right person a fantastic opportunity to get involved in a wide range of discussions that will stretch your buying and negotiation skills. It will also stretch your understanding of supply chains, end to end efficiency and how we can work with suppliers to grow, pack and deliver products better for customers.
The area has a direct report meaning it is a great opportunity for someone to stretch their line management capability.
Produce in general is a fast paced, dynamic, and exciting area to work in. We are at the forefront of the business meaning we get to be involved in plenty of new and exciting opportunities. We as a team are always looking to support each other to improve and develop our skill sets.
This is an Established opportunity and the Hiring Manager is Ben Rowbotham
You will be responsible for
- Building a customer focused, long term category strategy that delivers sustainable growth for the business & drives market out-performance.
- Finding, developing and managing both branded & OB suppliers, to deliver our customer propositions and our joint business targets whilst ensuring that product quality is achieved & maintained.
- Working with suppliers to build a strong Buy/Move plan that ensures our products are manufactured, moved & sold in the most efficient way possible
- Effectively managing commodity and currency risk and negotiating a sustainable, market leading commercial position.
- Forecasting and managing budgets effectively. Delivering quantum profit targets. Always being cost conscious.
- Developing and leading a high performing team, giving them the opportunities to be their best.
- Adhering to all Tesco policies, storage and hand-over protocols and successfully completing all the training so that you have zero GSCOP breaches. Ensuring all agreements are recorded in writing, reporting GSCOP complaints to Legal within 48 hours of receipt, and leading a culture of compliance within the team.
- Following our Business Code of Conduct and always acting with integrity and due diligence
You will need
Experience relevant for this job:
- Commercial buying experience
- Experience of managing cost models
- Range and trade planning
- Report preparation and analysis
Operational skills relevant for this job:
- Influencing and negotiation
- Stakeholder Management
- Supplier Management
- Buying management
- Data Analysis
- Microsoft Excel
- Supplier economics
Tesco has become a market leader by doing the little things that really matter for our customers and colleagues. It is part of what makes Tesco such a great place to work!
We are the UK's number one retailer and we pride ourselves on offering a great shopping experience. We are passionate about our food, merchandise and services and will always try to get things right for our customers.
But did you know we also offer great job opportunities? With stores, distribution centres and offices across the UK, we have a vast variety of roles and we are always looking for people who have a hunger to work with customers and colleagues across our exciting business. We believe in treating each other with respect and giving everyone an equal opportunity to get on. It's our people that make the difference every day - helping us make a difference for our customers.
We are proud to have an inclusive culture at Tesco where everyone is welcome and truly feels able to be themselves. At Tesco, we not only celebrate diversity, but recognise the value and opportunity it brings to enable us to serve our shoppers a little better every day. We strive to create a workforce that reflects our customers not only here in the UK, but worldwide. Our aim is to attract and welcome a diverse range applicants from all walks of life, offering many varying working patterns across our business and we would love to hear from you!
It remains that Shire Park is our central location for Head Office teams. We have recently announced that we will be moving towards a more blended working week – combining office and remote working. Our base will be the office, where we connect, collaborate and innovate – and there will be the expectation for everyone to be in the office more often than not. For Head Office roles we therefore expect colleagues to spend a proportion of their time at our offices in Shire Park.
We are supportive of colleagues having conversations with hiring managers about what office presence will look like in the context of the role.
NOTE: Should you be successful in your application, your offer will be subject to and conditional upon you providing your bank account details on your agreed start date.