Legal Counsel - Procurement - 12 Month FTC
What’s in it for you
We offer excellent benefits that help make Tesco a great place to work. These include but aren’t limited to:
- Annual bonus scheme
- Holiday starting at 25 days plus a personal day (plus 8 Bank holidays)
- On-site state of the art gym at our Welwyn Campus with discounted “Gympass” membership & free health checks via Nuffield Health
- Retirement savings plan - save between 4% and 7.5% and Tesco will match your contribution
- Life Assurance - 5 x contractual pay
- Share Schemes – Join our ‘Buy As You Earn’ & ‘Save As You Earn’ share schemes after 3 months service
- Colleague Clubcard (including a 2nd card for a family member) after 3 months service
- Colleague Discounts:
- 10% increasing to 15% after every pay day for a four day period, off most purchases at Tesco
- 10% off One Stop
- 10% off pay monthly & SIM only deals with Tesco Mobile
- 20% off all F&F purchases
- 20% off car, pet and home insurance at Tesco bank. T&C’s apply
- 25% off Tesco Café
- 50% off complete glasses purchases & free eye tests (other offers available) at Vision Express
- 50% off health checks at Tesco Pharmacy
- An exclusive deals and discounts website saving you money on everyday purchases, treats for the family, eating out and utility bills for the home
- Cycle to work scheme
- Shuttle Bus Service to/from Welwyn Garden City Station to Welwyn Campus
- Opportunities to get on - take advantage of our ongoing learning opportunities and award-winning training, to help you achieve the job and career you want
- Our Employee Assistance Programme helps you deal with life’s challenges
- Financial wellness - Tesco has partnered with experts to help you make the most of your money
- Get involved in a range of fundraising activities with our long-term charity partners
About the role
Tesco’s Group Procurement function is responsible for buying all goods and services not for resale for the international Tesco group. The Legal Counsel is part of a small team of lawyers which work hand-in-hand with the business to advise and support on legal risks. You can expect close partnership and collaboration with the business, a highly diverse workload, and a brief to innovate and improve existing process.
The primary accountability of this 12 month FTC is for:
- Working alongside the Category Procurement Managers and the relevant business partners to provide legal and strategic advice.
- Drafting and negotiating major commercial arrangements transactions in diverse areas to support Tesco’s operations across corporate services, property procurement and automation.
- Providing specialised contracts legal advice.
- Facilitating the implementation of standard methodologies, simplified engagement process and ways of working, stream-lined documentation and improved governance/policies.
- Raising the business awareness around key commercial and legal risks and mitigations,
- Leading the implementation and embedding of the Group Legal, Commercial and Procurement legal policies.
- Raise the business awareness around key legal and commercial risks.
You will be responsible for
- Advising on a varied range of complex, high profile and business critical commercial contracts.
- Providing first-line support on disputes, collaborating closely with the specialist in-house dispute resolution team as necessary.
- Providing general legal advice and support on a range of issues including Data Protection, Competition Law, IT, TUPE and IP.
- Considering partners concerns and spotting other issues: working with the business (not just for them) and adding value.
- Thinking “outside of the box” to come up with practical commercial solutions to problems.
- Simplification and innovation; supporting innovation and use of technology to simplify and improve the provision of legal services.
- Developing and maintaining excellent relationships with different business units;
- Engaging with and supporting other lawyers across the UK and international Tesco group.
- Outsourcing and handling the outsourcing of complex matters to external law firms where necessary (including ensuring we get value for money).
You will need
- 2-6 years PQE gained at a leading law firm or in-house (although those outside this PQE and with the relevant experience will be considered).
- In-house experience (which may have been gained on secondment) preferred but not essential.
- Strong experience of drafting, negotiating and advising on a wide-range of commercial contracts, with a pragmatic and commercial approach.
- Ability to identify and navigate complex legal issues with excellent knowledge of contract and commercial law.
- To be a self-starter and able to work independently but also flourish with working as part of a wider team, in a dynamic and fast paced environment.
- Strong partnering skills as the role requires an ability to build credibility with very experienced internal and external partners
- Excellent attention to detail and organisation skills with the ability to work to timelines and to handle contending demands from various partners.
- A calm demeanour and an ability to work collaboratively under pressure.
We are supportive of colleagues having conversations with hiring managers about what office presence will look like in the context of the role.
NOTE: Should you be successful in your application, your offer will be subject to and conditional upon you providing your bank account details on your agreed start date.