Lead Product Manager - Store Operations Technology
What’s in it for you
Our vision here at Tesco is to become every customer's favourite way to shop, whether they are at home, out shopping, on the move, anywhere in the world.
We want our customers to be inspired and whatever they are looking for, we’re finding bigger and better ways to provide it.
Everything is underpinned by our continuous drive for the best tools and technology to deliver our vision. We’re driving innovation and transforming our Technology to become the world’s leading retailer.
We need people who share our ambition to deliver for our customers; Passionate and confident people willing to take the initiative and drive us forwards. In return we offer excitement, a great team, an excellent benefit package, and significant career development opportunities.
Joining us means playing a part in defining; building and launching an ambitious roadmap of digital products that could affect the lives of millions of people over the years to come.
If that sounds exciting then we'd love to hear from you.
The position will be based at our Welwyn Garden City, Hertfordshire campus.
About the role
The Role – Lead Product Manager
Whilst specific responsibilities will be dependent upon the changing needs of the Tesco business, the following provides an overview of the role’s key responsibilities and measures:
- Reporting to the Head of Product Management for Store Operations, you will have accountability for a complex set of products across various domains, including Colleague Communication Platforms, Biometrics Platform, our Store Applications Portal and our Colleague Mobile Device experience that involves multiple internal/external stakeholders, and drive product strategy, roadmap and execution for that by leading a team of talented Product Managers.
- A master practitioner of Product Management, you are responsible for ensuring that your team contains the product management resources and skills required to ensure you can successfully execute the strategy and roadmap for your portfolio of products.
- Understand your business stakeholders and their pain points exceptionally well and steer your team in the right direction by putting the best team members in the most value generating products/ business priorities.
- Set clear goals and KPIs for your team members and periodically review all the KPIs owned by the team spanning across multiple products and provide feedback on improving those.
- Handle conflicting priorities well, communicate clearly and understand how to drive a high level of focus and excellence with a strong, talented and opinionated team.
- Identify and remove impediments faced by the team by working with your Head of Product and other stakeholders and proactively flag any risks or delays in your commitments.
- Contribute in capability and capacity planning to Product Management for your own Product area to ensure capacity to drive work.
- Build and nurture a great team of Product Managers for your Product, based on the business needs, strategic priorities assigned, and level of focus required.
- Carry out people routines for direct reports and develop talented people.
- Identify and remove impediments to ensure your team is successful in delivering the committed deliverables.
- Motivate the team by ensuring they have fulfilling roles, proper rewards and recognition strategies.
- Conduct fair performance appraisals and provide constructive feedback for your team.
- Collaborate with Head of Product to understand future demand and direction of your product.
- Responsible for achieving or exceeding agreed product KPIs improvements across all the products owned/ managed by your team
- This role will best suit an individual who enjoys working as part of a team, is well organised, pragmatic and a lateral thinker with an inquisitive mind who is motivated to make change for the better and, most importantly, puts our customers first.
You will need
Key Skills and Experience
You’ll need to have demonstrated experience of:
- Carrying out product management of both UIs and APIs and have a clear understanding of managing domain boundaries between related APIs.
- Have proven success in leading a team of highly talented and opinionated product managers and taken multiple ideas from conception to go-live, through standard software product development lifecycle and got measurable success across defined KPIs.
- Experienced in capacity planning, forecasting and working with senior stakeholders to understand future demands and align allocation/ hiring.
- Knowledge of underlying business processes and systems.
- Efficient in stakeholder management and has ability to steer the team in the right direction by putting best team members in the most value generating Products/ Business priorities
- Knowledge and experience of product management best practice and methodologies and strong technical acumen.
- Extensive experience with Research, UX and UI and and ideally within a technology organisation with a service-oriented architecture. Technically competent to influence and understand the solution context and approach (legacy, tactical, strategic) and aid engineering in estimating the complexity of work being requested.
- Understands the impact technical debt is causing and the value Tech upgrades can bring and can hold the objective conversations with your technology counterparts to prioritize it during any sprint.
- Have great prioritization and decision making skills and have made good decisions/ judgements around business priorities and resource allocation, etc
- Experience in conducting fair appraisals and handling conflicts
- Experience in building/ hiring, grooming a team of Product Managers
- Able to build solid working relationships with peers and senior leadership