The following content displays a map of the jobs location - Welwyn Garden City
Principal Systems Engineer
What’s in it for you
We offer excellent benefits that help make Tesco a great place to work! These include but are not limited to:
- Annual bonus scheme of up to 45% of base salary
- Car allowance of £7320 per annum
- Holiday starting at 25 days plus a personal day (and bank holidays)
- Private medical insurance offered through Bupa
- Retirement savings plan – save anything from 6% of your pay and Tesco will pay 1.5 x your contribution up to 15% of your pay
- Life Assurance at 5x contractual pay
- Buy as you earn and Save as you earn share schemes
About the role
This role has been created to help redefine the Infrastructure architecture in our shops. Across thousands of locations we provide network, compute and desktop services to support customers and colleagues. As our environment has grown we increasingly find new requirements in our shops for network connectivity, compute power and collaboration tooling. The challenges of self-scanning, IoT, Customer WiFi and collaboration tools means we have a need to change the architecture and cost model of Infrastructure in stores.
You will be responsible for
Responsibilities include but are not limited to;
- Understand the business requirements, service levels and costs for all major users of store infrastructure
- Architect and design network, compute, desktop and other infrastructure components (hardware and software)
- Understand the economics of infrastructure, establishing cost models and business cases that take into account hardware, software and people costs
- Be able to engage with and influence a wide range of stakeholders from Technology Directors to senior Business Leaders
- Evaluate and assess technologies from suppliers, understanding the key benefits and concerns of each one from technical and commercial perspectives
- Write papers and presentations suitable for senior audiences
- Coach and mentor system engineers across Technology who are at a more junior level.
- Understand current application development techniques (12 factor app) and their implications
- Lead group design discussions on their area of expertise and be able to present with authority to a variety of audiences.
- Keep their technical skills up to date and keep track of new technologies, understanding how they might benefit the Technology team and wider Tesco.
- Actively participate in the broader change implementations and aware of change management processes
- This role will best suit an individual who enjoys working as part of a team, is well organised, pragmatic and a lateral thinker with an inquisitive mind who is motivated to make change for the better and, most importantly, puts our customers first.
You will need
You’ll need to have demonstrated experience of:
- Extensive knowledge of public and private cloud technologies as well as hands on experience with K8s is a must.
- An engineer that can go broad to develop complex Infrastructure Products with a focus on developer productivity.
- Well versed in modern software development techniques and a desire to introduce them to Infrastructure teams.
- Excellent communication skills; comfortable influencing junior engineers and senior executives alike.
- Experience developing an internal PaaS is a distinct advantage.
- Flexibility, ability to plan and organise, responsiveness, creativity, self-starter
- Able to build solid working relationships with peers and senior leadership
- Ability to demonstrate strong written, verbal communication and presentation skills to all levels of seniority and disciplines within the organisation.
Our vision at Tesco is to become every customer’s favourite way to shop, whether they are at home or out on the move. Our core purpose is “Serving our customers, communities and planet a little better every day”. Serving means more than a transactional relationship with our customers. It means acting as a responsible and sustainable business for all stakeholders, for the communities we are part of, and for the planet.
We are proud to have an inclusive culture at Tesco where everyone truly feels able to be themselves. At Tesco, we not only celebrate diversity, but recognise the value and opportunity it brings. We’re committed to creating a workplace where differences are valued, and make sure that all colleagues are given the same opportunities. We’re a big business with diverse working patterns and many business areas which means that we can find something that works for you. Everyone is welcome at Tesco.
We have recently announced that we are moving to a more blended working week – combining office and remote working. Our offices continue to be where we connect, collaborate and innovate. Talk to us about how this can work for you.
Note: Should you be successful in your application, your employment will be subject to and conditional upon you providing your bank account details on your agreed start date