Head of Product - Platforms
What’s in it for you
Our vision here at Tesco is to become every customer's favourite way to shop, whether they are at home, in store, on the move … anywhere in their world. With our unrivalled physical and digital assets and an ambitious investment programme, we aim to become the world's best multi-channel retailer.
Everything is underpinned by our continuous drive for the best tools and technology to deliver our vision. We’re driving innovation, evolving our product development process and transforming our technology to become the world’s leading e-commerce business.
We need people who share our ambition to deliver for our customers. We want passionate, talented and hardworking individuals willing to take the initiative and drive us forwards. In return we offer a huge challenge, strong support, a great team, an excellent benefit package, and significant career development opportunities.
About the role
As Head of Product Management for Customer Platforms, you will synthesize the global vision for our web and app platforms. Whist traditional Product Managers focus on the end-user (e.g. a customers, a colleague) this role will look at entire eco-system and understand how to release maximum value to multiple end-user personas.
Whilst specific responsibilities will be dependent upon the changing needs of the Tesco business, the following provides an overview of the role’s key responsibilities and measures:
- Define and execute the web and app platform product visions which will support our business globally and accelerate the pace of our delivery
- Partner with Product Managers and Designers to assess and identify customer needs and ensure our platforms deliver maximum value to our customers and the business
- Partner with our Engineering team to develop platform capabilities, based on a strong understanding of new technologies (horizon scanning emerging technology capabilities), which enable us to deliver faster
- Define and plan the development of a core set of discreet, re-useable components which break down our existing monoliths and build out our microservices framework
- Identify and manage issues that will or are impacting platform stability, availability and functionality
- Partner with the Design Team to ensure design patterns and platform components are used in a consistent way
- Evangelise the platform vision and strategy across the organisation
- Mentor and guide a small team of product managers, helping to develop their product management skills.
- Define the Outcomes and Key Results for this product area, and deliver value in slices for the customers, business, and colleagues.
- This role will best suit a strong technically focused candidate who enjoys working as part of a team, is well-organised, pragmatic and systemic thinker with an inquisitive mind who is motivated to make change for the better and, most importantly, puts our customers first.
You will need
You’ll need to have demonstrated experience of:
- Articulating a complex product strategy in terms of consumer and business value
- Strong technical knowledge including experience of working with microservices and devops
- Experince creating or working with design systems and component libraries
- Experience leading and developing high-performance product management teams
- Experience and understanding of agile techniques to deliver exemplar products
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills – you must be able to articulate complex concepts to a diverse audience
- Experience of communicating effectively at CxO level
- The ability to influence without authority
- Bachelors degree or demonstrable experience required
- Desirable to have strong knowledge and experience of high-volume transactional businesses (payments, retail, finance, adtech, etc)