Technical Programme Manager â New Stores, Deployment & Vendor Management
This job has been closed.
About the role
Our objective is to ensure we are able to efficiently and effectively deploy and maintain hardware and systems to our stores in order to serve our customers ‘a little better every day.’ To achieve this, we work closely with multiple teams across technology, key suppliers and business teams to ensure seamless delivery of customer and colleague facing technology for key business outcomes.
Our stores technology portfolio is constantly changing and adapting to serve customers and future proof our business. This Technical Programme Management (TPM) role will have the opportunity to deliver across a number of our key initiatives with the Property programme over the next 18 months.
You will be responsible for
The ideal candidate for this role will not only be able to understand complex technical concepts, but will have exceptional verbal and written communication skills. A willingness to learn and flex based on the demands of the programme are key to succeeding in this role.
In the initial planning phases, this role needs to understand the what but also quickly ascertain an understanding of the how with the key stakeholders for the respective programmes in retail. This role will be responsible for delivering core programmes but also work to cutover technology initiatives and change into the property programmes –
- Launch exciting new retail propositions
- Scaling of the Retail Platform and Till Hardware Deployments
The Store Hardware, including New Stores and Refresh team, are responsible for the seamless delivery and deployment of technology into stores across a wide variety of programmes, the objectives of the team are as follows –
- Deployment of large scale, complex technology hardware (upgrades/replacements of existing hardware and rollout of new solutions)
- Working with teams to ensure the safe cutover of technology change into store programmes
- Taking a lead role as the ‘integrator’ between Property development and Technology to enable the opening and refresh of our physical store estate
- Working with key technology suppliers, to manage and maintain third party technology products that run our stores
- Understanding supplier hardware roadmaps for end of life/end of support life products and opportunities for cost saving for the Tesco business (RFI/RFP situations)
You will need
You will initially be responsible for the delivery of a new proposition and the required changes to in store hardware, working across the team to get a solid understanding of the requirements and impacts. This role will scale out as you get a better understanding of the respective programmes to work with vendors to assist in the delivery of a larger business initiative.
This will include:-
- Bringing together, coordinating and energising virtual Technology teams to deliver programme goals
- Delivering key requirements for key business initiatives through technology suppliers. Ensuring they are clear on expectations and deliver to contractual obligations
- Setting up new and managing existing processes (change control and hardware ordering to the required lead times)
- Liaising with various teams across Technology, Property and Procurment to ensure technology deliverables are on time and to budget
- Owning and managing the respective plans, with clear milestones and dependencies identified
- Proactively identifying issues, risks and dependencies and working closely with Product and Engineering teams across the programme to resolve, mitigate, transparently track and make visible to the relevant teams, stakeholders
- Understanding any trade-offs and risk mitigation steps required, make these visible to the Product and Engineering teams
- Work across multiple locations and geographies to ensure deployments happen on time and within SLA
- Assisting the Lead and Senior Technical Programme Manager with accurate and timely information for forecasting and budgetary purposes
- Build the ‘store deployment’ plans and hardware delivery requirements for the new propositions with internal programme teams and suppliers
- Work closely with the Lead Technical Programme Manager to resolve impediments and manage stakeholder expectations for technology change
- Raise hardware orders and manage suppliers to the agreed lead times
- Collaborate with subject matter experts in the area to help guide and deliver the plan
The ideal candidate must have demonstrated below key skills in their current and past roles:
- Proven record of delivering technology programmes (ideally experience of delivering technology hardware related programmes)
- Have experience of building credible relationships both inside the organisation and externally
- Good influencing skills
- Strong project, stakeholder and programme management skills
- Strong vendor management and influencing/negotiating skills
- Strong reporting skills for programme status and financial forecasting
- Excellent communication and influencing skills and adaptability to changes
- Be flexible and willing to adapt to the changing needs of the programmes
Our business was built over 100 years ago, with a simple mission, to be the champion for customers, helping them to enjoy a better quality of life and an easier way of living. Today that mission remains unchanged.
Customers want great products at great value, which they can buy easily. Tesco aims to deliver this in the right way for them. That's why 'Serving shoppers a little better every day' is our core purpose. As a business, serving customers is at the heart of everything we do. In the UK, Tesco serves some 66 shoppers every second, so it is our goal to ensure every one of those customers experiences just a little better service on each visit.
Everything we do is motivated by our desire for the best tools and technology to help deliver our mission. We are innovating and transforming our Technology to become the world’s leading retailer.
We need people who share our obsession to deliver for our customers and colleagues. Ambitious, passionate and confident people who are willing to take the initiative and drive us forwards. In return, we offer excitement, a great team, an excellent benefit package and significant career development opportunities.
If that sounds exciting, then we would love to hear from you.
The position is based in Welwyn Garden City, with travel to stores and our London office in Farringdon.