Senior Technical Programme Manager
What’s in it for you
- Annual bonus scheme of up to 45% of base salary.
- Car allowance of £7,320 per annum.
- Holiday starting at 25 days plus a personal day (plus 8 Bank holidays).
- On-site state of the art gym at our Welwyn Campus with discounted “Gympass” membership & free health checks via Nuffield Health.
- Retirement savings plan - save between 6% and 10% and Tesco will match your contribution.
- Life Assurance - 5 x contractual pay.
- Share Schemes – Join our ‘Buy As You Earn’ & ‘Save As You Earn’ share schemes after 3 months service.
- Colleague Clubcard (including a 2nd card for a family member) after 3 months service.
- Colleague Discounts: 10% increasing to 15% after every pay day for a four day period.
- Health screening every 2 years.
- Private medical insurance offered by Bupa.
- Cycle to work scheme.
About the role
As a Senior Technical Programme Manager, you will deliver highly complex, cross-functional technology programmes that support colleagues and help serve our customers better. They work collaboratively, influence senior Product, Engineering and business colleagues and lead the programme to deliver value quickly and often.
In Infrastructure the STPM will lead in particular transformational programs which takes us from a current “as-is” to a future “to-be”. We expect our STPM to be able to cover the complete program lifecycle from defining the strategy and vision over the implementation plan to execution and delivery focusing on quality, time and cost. The role requires a strong combination of relevant technology skills paired with program management and leading judgement/influencing capabilities.
You will be responsible for
Whilst specific responsibilities will be dependent upon the changing needs of the Tesco business, the following provides an overview of the role’s key responsibilities and measures:
- Deliver complex programmes with multiple business and technical risks that will impact the success of key Tesco business priorities
- Establish new or improve existing delivery methodology to deliver the programme goals
- Initiate and shape programmes with ambiguous scope and uncertain delivery approach
- Create and track a plan to deliver the programme goals, including the technical implementation plan
- Provide expert advice and guidance on programme delivery (mentoring other TPMs and supporting Engineering/Product teams)
- Understand trade-offs in Infrastructure delivery, using experience and influencing skills to drive consensus with our Technology and Engineering teams to obtain the best value and solution
- Am able to foresee potential risks and issues, establish a process, facilitate discussion and manage escalations
- Act on opportunities to adopt trends and new concepts in programme and product delivery
- Am able to understand and drive a technical architecture to be able to foresee the impact on dependencies, delivery timelines and implementation plans
- Have good knowledge of infrastructure engineering and implementations best practices to appreciate delivery challenges
- Understand technology concepts, grasp new ones quickly and appreciate their implications on delivery
- Effectively manage major incidents, ensuring stakeholders are updated with the right information to drive the correct decisions
- Collaborate with the Product and Engineering teams to define annual budgetary requirements
- Build positive relationships with suppliers & external stakeholders to deliver software or professional services
- Add value to vendor selection processes (tendering, agreeing SLAs, warranty periods, outsourcing)
- Have a strong commercial acumen to lead hardware, software or professional service contracts to conclusion
- Coach peers and other roles, teaching where required, on methodologies and programme management tools and coach/mentor on leadership
- Take a leading role in the recruitment process and make final recruitment decisions
- Play an active leadership role in the TPM guild and community – proactively influencing capability and capacity planning for TPMs
- Have advanced influencing skill using documentation and presentations as tools to find alignment across Technology and Infrastructure
You will need
An ideal candidate will have the following skills:
- Project Management
- Stakeholder Management
- Programme Management
- Communication and Influencing Skills
- Strong technical expertise in Infrastructure
- Networking (LAN and WAN)
- Data Centre (central compute and storage)
- Store Technology (decentral compute and storage)
- Cloud services (IaaS, Paas)
- Workplace and end-user devices
Additional relevant experience:
- Have a proven record of accomplishment in delivering technology and/or infrastructure; having done so across multiple teams in multiple geographies
- Have experience of building credible relationships and influencing senior management & leadership teams
- Delivering complex Infrastructure programs across multiple years
Our business was built with a simple mission – to be the champion for customers, helping them to enjoy a better quality of life and an easier way of living. This hasn't changed. Customers want great products at great value which they can buy easily and it's our job to deliver this in the right way for them.
In the UK, we serve some 66 shoppers every second, so it's our goal to ensure every one of those customers experiences just a little better service on each visit.
We want our customers to be inspired and whatever they are looking for, we’re finding bigger and better ways to provide it.
We need people who share our ambition to deliver for our customers; passionate and confident people willing to take the initiative and drive us forwards.
If that sounds like something you’d like to be a part of, please get in touch!