The following content displays a map of the jobs location - Welwyn Garden City
DevOps Systems Engineer III
This job has been closed.
What’s in it for you
We offer excellent benefits that help make Tesco a great place to work! These include but are not limited to:
- Annual bonus scheme
- Holiday starting at 25 days plus a personal day (and bank holidays)
- Great colleague discounts and deals, saving you money on everyday purchases, utility bills for the home and more
- Retirement savings plan – save between 4% and 7.5% and Tesco will match your contribution
- Buy as you earn and Save as you earn share schemes
- Opportunities to get on – take advantage of our ongoing learning opportunities and award-winning training to help you achieve the career you want
About the role
About Group Monitoring, Capability and Security Platforms
The Group Monitoring, Capability, and Security Platforms team is a mix of Product Managers and System Engineers, with ownership of key strategic platforms across monitoring, security, and portfolio/backlog management. As such we own the product roadmap – driven by the business requirements - and are responsible for managing the deployment, configuration, and operation of these platforms. We are part of the wider Security and Capability team within Tesco Technology. Our platforms enable teams to identify and react to incidents, they help us to protect from current and future security threats, and support teams in efficiently delivering high quality code for our customers and colleagues.
About the role
As one of the senior engineers you will have a focus on driving innovation and excellence across the team. The DevOps function within Group Monitoring, Capability and Security is relatively young, with lots of opportunities in both breadth and depth for substantial improvements. You will need to identify, own, and ultimately drive projects for building, standardising, and improving our technical solutions in automation and integration, along with helping to up-skill the team through training and education initiatives.
You will be expected to help guide the roadmap for how best we deploy and operate platforms on behalf of Technology, as well as playing an active part in continuing to build a fantastic and talented team!
You will be responsible for
You will be responsible for
You will be responsible for leading initiatives across the team: as a passionate technologist with considerable knowledge of Terraform, Ansible, Kubernetes and Jenkins you will help provide innovation, best practise, and a long term strategy for automation; with a deep understanding of cloud practises, automation, and CI/CD you will help to shape how the services our platforms provide are delivered to our customers. You will have extensive experience working within cross-functional development and IT operation teams, supporting highly available, resilient, high demand business critical platforms within an enterprise environment.
- Delivering secure solutions
- Identify potential security weaknesses in solutions, both implemented and proposed
- Help to define and evolve the security best practises within the team
- Drive security best practises across the team, embedding this into our day-to-day work
- Contributing to the technical direction of, and strongly influencing decisions regarding, continuous delivery and continuous integration
- Able to identify areas of technical risk or concern and suggest actions
- Able to understand our engineering toolsets, practices, and processes to drive adoption, increase quality, and reduce waste
- Pro-actively researches relevant technologies and applications
- Driving continuous improvement in working practices
- Use data to identify areas for improvement
- Drive change to increase the effectiveness, quality, and efficiency of our processes
- Provide in-depth analysis of complex process and topics
- Communicate accurate and concise analysis to senior stakeholders, be they technical or non-technical
- Take responsibility for the end user experience of the process, product, or service being working on
- Effectively contribute to the roadmap
- Owning and managing projects end-to-end, ensuring the team deliver on time and to budget:
- Creates and owns initiatives
- Provides estimates for backlog prioritisation
- Influences overall backlog prioritisation
- Manages resources to deliver high quality solutions on time
- Evangelising change and advocating the appropriate use of technology to improve effectiveness
- Drive adoption and best practise through communication, coaching, and education initiatives
- Facilitate training sessions to increase visibility, best practise, and overall awareness of products and initiatives
- Through good communication is able to take complex or ambiguous concepts and make them meaningful for colleagues
Uses data to measure the effectiveness of change, and is able to review and adapt as required
You will need
You will need
- Proven experience implementing, securing, and optimising automation pipelines
- Experience with automation tooling, including: Jenkins, Terraform, Ansible, and Chef
- A good understanding of the SDLC and some of the common tools, including: JIRA, Git, GitHub, and Nexus
- Experience working with AWS and Azure
- Good understanding of secrets management, including the use of Azure Key Vault
- An understanding of security testing approaches, including SAST (experience with Coverity ideally), vulnerability scanning (experience with Nessus ideally) and SCA (experience with Snyk ideally)
- Coding experience in Python and Groovy
- Substantial experience with Docker and Kubernetes
- Strong operations experience, including common monitoring patterns; experience with Splunk and AppDynamics is highly desirable
- Experience delivering software within an agile product development environment
- A good understanding of both ITIL and Agile processes
- To keep up to date with the latest trends and developments in DevOps tools and processes
- Solid understanding and experience working with highly available, high performance, high demand systems
- Experience working with multi-data centre and hybrid cloud environments
- Strong communication skills with the ability to relay technical content to colleagues of varying backgrounds, at all levels of seniority
- Strong written communication skills and a desire to produce accurate, comprehensible documentation; experience working with Confluence is desirable
- Experience using open source software within an enterprise environment
- Ability to manage others and support training of colleagues
- Ability to interpret, discuss, and contribute to architecture and solution designs, considering security and effective operation
Ability to influence colleagues, alongside a willingness to be influenced by colleagues, as appropriate
Our vision at Tesco is to become every customer’s favourite way to shop, whether they are at home or out on the move. Our core purpose is “Serving our customers, communities and planet a little better every day”. Serving means more than a transactional relationship with our customers. It means acting as a responsible and sustainable business for all stakeholders, for the communities we are part of, and for the planet.
We are proud to have an inclusive culture at Tesco where everyone truly feels able to be themselves. At Tesco, we not only celebrate diversity, but recognise the value and opportunity it brings. We’re committed to creating a workplace where differences are valued, and make sure that all colleagues are given the same opportunities. We’re a big business with diverse working patterns and many business areas which means that we can find something that works for you. Everyone is welcome at Tesco.
We have recently announced that we are moving to a more blended working week – combining office and remote working. Our offices continue to be where we connect, collaborate and innovate. Talk to us about how this can work for you.
Note: Should you be successful in your application, your employment will be subject to and conditional upon you providing your bank account details on your agreed start date.