The following content displays a map of the jobs location - Welwyn Garden City
Lead Infrastructure Architect
Job Reference tesco/TP/8169090/588083
This job has been closed.
What’s in it for you
We offer excellent benefits that help make Tesco a great place to work! These include but are not limited to:
- Annual bonus scheme of up to 45% of base salary
- Car allowance of £7320 per annum
- Holiday starting at 25 days plus a personal day (and bank holidays)
- Private medical insurance offered through Bupa
- Retirement savings plan – save anything from 6% of your pay and Tesco will pay 1.5 x your contribution up to 15% of your pay
- Life Assurance at 5x contractual pay
- Buy as you earn and Save as you earn share schemes
About the role
The Infrastructure Engineering team design, develop and operate all infrastructure used by Tesco Technology across our data centres, offices, stores and distribution centres. This encompasses multiple domains; private and public cloud, connectivity, end-user computing, CI/CD and monitoring toolkit. This includes both 3rd party and internally developed infrastructure applications and infrastructure that support the wider Tesco business.
You will be responsible for
Key activities include:
- Designs, develops and operates the Infrastructure platforms that allow development teams and business colleagues to consume infrastructure.
- Designs, develops and operates the automation to allow Infrastructure platforms to be consumed in a controlled, auditable and repeatable manner.
- Setting the strategy, objectives and high-level plans for infrastructure.
- Works with development teams to collaborate in creating appropriate infrastructure solutions.
- Evaluating partners, software and hardware and finding the right mix to deliver the strategy.
- Driving innovation at Tesco through infrastructure transformation.
- Defining and overseeing standards and simplification across the estate.
- Designing, delivering and operating new and re-usable infrastructure solutions.
The Infrastructure team are supporting both the current Infrastructure and also the work required to continue the transformation of Tesco Technologies Infrastructure to modern platforms that can be easily consumed through self-service APIs, automatically handle failures and use best of breed modern technologies.
Whilst specific responsibilities will be dependent upon the changing needs of the Tesco business, the following provides an overview of the role’s key responsibilities and measures:
- Coach and mentor system engineers across Technology who are at a more junior level.
- Introduce automation to all aspects of my day to day work.
- Own the roadmap for my own technology area, advising on and selecting new technology products.
- Introduce new tools and techniques when appropriate to increase efficiency of delivery and operations.
- Architect, design and deliver solutions where new components are required.
- Resolve incidents that have not been seen before and design solutions that will minimise the amount of hands-on activity needed to fix issues.
- Understand current application development techniques (12 factor app) and their implications
- Lead group design discussions on my area of expertise and be able to present with authority to a variety of audiences.
- Contribute to commercial arrangements for system engineering deals
- Keep my technical skills up to date and keep track of new technologies, understanding how they might benefit the Technology team and wider Tesco.
- Actively participate in the broader change implementations and aware of change management processes
This role will best suit an individual who enjoys working as part of a team, is well organised, pragmatic and a lateral thinker with an inquisitive mind who is motivated to make change for the better and, most importantly, puts our customers first.
You will need
You’ll need to have demonstrated experience of:
- Knowledge of IT infrastructure
- Designing solutions for large complex global organisations at scale
- Strategic thinking
- Productising Infrastructure services
- Previous experience working in a DevOps environment, automating solutions and introducing new technology solutions which impact current ways of working
- Flexibility, ability to plan and organise, responsiveness, creativity, self-starter
- Able to build solid working relationships with peers and senior leadership
- Ability to demonstrate strong written, verbal communication and presentation skills to all levels of seniority and disciplines within the organisation.
Our vision at Tesco is to become every customer’s favourite way to shop, whether they are at home or out on the move. Our core purpose is “Serving our customers, communities and planet a little better every day”. Serving means more than a transactional relationship with our customers. It means acting as a responsible and sustainable business for all stakeholders, for the communities we are part of, and for the planet.
We are proud to have an inclusive culture at Tesco where everyone truly feels able to be themselves. At Tesco, we not only celebrate diversity, but recognise the value and opportunity it brings. We’re committed to creating a workplace where differences are valued, and make sure that all colleagues are given the same opportunities. We’re a big business with diverse working patterns and many business areas which means that we can find something that works for you. Everyone is welcome at Tesco.
We have recently announced that we are moving to a more blended working week – combining office and remote working. Our offices continue to be where we connect, collaborate and innovate. Talk to us about how this can work for you.
Note: Should you be successful in your application, your employment will be subject to and conditional upon you providing your bank account details on your agreed start date