The following content displays a map of the jobs location - London
Software Development Engineer III - Mango
What’s in it for you
We offer excellent benefits that help make Tesco a great place to work. These include but aren’t limited to:
· Annual bonus scheme where you can earn up to 15% of base salary
· Holiday starting at 25 days plus a personal day (plus 8 Bank holidays)
· On-site state of the art gym at our Welwyn Campus with discounted “Gympass” membership & free health checks via Nuffield Health
· Retirement savings plan - save between 4% and 7.5% and Tesco will match your contribution
· Life Assurance - 5 x contractual pay
· Share Schemes – Join our ‘Buy As You Earn’ & ‘Save As You Earn’ share schemes after 3 months service
· Colleague Clubcard (including a 2nd card for a family member) after 3 months service
· Colleague Discounts:
· 10% increasing to 15% after every pay day for a four day period, off most purchases at Tesco (from April 2020)
· 10% off One Stop
· 10% off pay monthly & SIM only deals with Tesco Mobile
· 20% off all F&F purchases
· 20% off car, pet and home insurance at Tesco bank. T&C’s apply
· 25% off Tesco Café
· 50% off complete glasses purchases & free eye tests (other offers available) at Vision Express
· 50% off health checks at Tesco Pharmacy
· An exclusive deals and discounts website saving you money on everyday purchases, treats for the family, eating out and utility bills for the home
· Cycle to work scheme
· Shuttle Bus Service to/from Hatfield & Welwyn Garden City Station to Welwyn Campus & Hatfield Offices
· Opportunities to get on - take advantage of our ongoing learning opportunities and award-winning training, to help you achieve the job and career you want
· Our Employee Assistance Programme helps you deal with life’s challenges
· Financial wellness - Tesco has partnered with experts to help you make the most of your money
· Get involved in a range of fundraising activities with our long-term charity partners
About the role
As a backend development Engineer, you’ll be working in an agile team of industry leading engineers to define and develop Tesco’s xAPI (Experience API) that powers Tesco’s various shopping experiences i.e., tesco.com, the mobile shop application, store and other internal facing applications. You’ll be a passionate, pragmatic Engineer with an inquisitive mind who is motivated to make change for the better and most importantly put our customer first.
You’ll enjoy working as part of a team, liaise with product and program managers to understand requirements and build new software or extend existing software. You are a keen problem solver with the expertise and experience building extensible, maintainable, highly available, scalable, performant and observable quality software, Comfortable with modern engineering practices and backend development technologies, you’ll use innovation to improve the customer experience and efficiency of engineering teams. The solutions that you will be responsible for will have a global reach, impacting millions of customers.
You will be responsible for
- Work with product managers to understand business/product requirements.
- Translate requirements into tasks & code.
- Commit code early and often, demonstrating understanding of version control & branching strategies.
- Automate everything by default.
- Write secure code by default.
- Write maintainable code and observe basic hygiene practices
- Implement relevant project instrumentation.
- Profile and optimise code.
- Apply understanding of cohesion and the SOLID principles to create well structured, maintainable software.
- Identify patterns in code and refactor the code towards them where it increases understanding and/or maintainability with minimal guidance.
- Produce test driven features in a specific programming language and demonstrate familiarity with the TDD development.
- Follow the best practices of continuous BDD/TDD/Performance/Security/Smoke testing.
- Work effectively with product stakeholders to communicate and translate needs into product improvements.
- Lead group discussions on system design and understand domain well enough to work with Product Managers to drive value.
- Support production systems, resolve incidents and perform root cause analysis.
- Debug/find complex problems and support/maintain the software solution.
- Share knowledge with the wider engineering community.
- Mentor and develop others around you.
- Produce proof of concepts to evaluate new tools.
You will need
We are looking for people who have a passion for Technology. You will demonstrate experience of different platforms and technologies. We expect to see some or all of the following:
- 8+ Years professional experience as a Backend Software Developer.
- Experience of using Node.js to create high traffic applications using Express.js, Sails, Koa or similar.
- Knowledge of microservices development and deployment in the cloud i.e. Azure/AWS/GCP cloud.
- Knowledge of virtualization, containerization and container orchestration technologies like Docker, Kubernetes etc.
- Experience with usage of GraphQL, building GraphQL servers and GraphQL Federation technologies like Apollo Federation.
- Experience with using and building REST API services.
- Knowledge of distributed messaging systems like Kafka, RabbitMQ etc.
- Knowledge of distributed caching technologies like Redis.
- A desire to write readable, maintainable, modular and extendable code.
- Exposure to the DevOps model.
- Experience in Lean and Agile environments and understanding of principles behind methodologies such as: BDD, ATDD and TDD.
- We are building systems to solve real world problems at scale, impacting tens of millions of people
- Teams of great Engineers (and Managers and Product Managers) to learn from
- We are agile and enlightened in our approach to building software and teams
- There’s a great atmosphere and we work sustainably as a team
- Tesco has a “do the right thing” mentality
- We promote flexible working
We are proud to have an inclusive culture at Tesco where everyone is welcome and truly feels able to be themselves. At Tesco, we not only celebrate diversity, but recognise the value and opportunity it brings to enable us to serve our shoppers a little better every day. We strive to create a workforce that reflects our customers not only here in the UK, but worldwide. Our aim is to attract and welcome a diverse range applicants from all walks of life, offering many varying working patterns across our business, and we would love to hear from you!