The following content displays a map of the jobs location - Welwyn Garden City or Slough
SQL Server Database Administrator
What’s in it for you
We offer excellent benefits that help make Tesco a great place to work. These include but aren’t limited to:
- Annual bonus scheme
- Holiday starting at 25 days plus a personal day (plus 8 Bank holidays)
- On-site state of the art gym at our Welwyn Campus with discounted “Gympass” membership & free health checks via Nuffield Health
- Retirement savings plan - save between 4% and 7.5% and Tesco will match your contribution
- Life Assurance - 5 x contractual pay
- Share Schemes – Join our ‘Buy As You Earn’ & ‘Save As You Earn’ share schemes after 3 months service
- Colleague Clubcard (including a 2nd card for a family member) after 3 months service
- Colleague Discounts:
- 10% increasing to 15% after every pay day for a four day period, off most purchases at Tesco
- 10% off One Stop
- 10% off pay monthly & SIM only deals with Tesco Mobile
- 20% off all F&F purchases
- 20% off car, pet and home insurance at Tesco bank. T&C’s apply
- 10% off Tesco Café
- 50% off complete glasses purchases & free eye tests (other offers available) at Vision Express
- 50% off health checks at Tesco Pharmacy
- An exclusive deals and discounts website saving you money on everyday purchases, treats for the family, eating out and utility bills for the home
- Cycle to work scheme
- Shuttle Bus Service to/from Welwyn Garden City Station to Welwyn Campus
- Opportunities to get on - take advantage of our ongoing learning opportunities and award-winning training, to help you achieve the job and career you want
- Our Employee Assistance Programme helps you deal with life’s challenges
- Financial wellness - Tesco has partnered with experts to help you make the most of your money
- Get involved in a range of fundraising activities with our long-term charity partners
About the role
The role will report into one of the existing members of the Cyber Security Centre of Excellence with a dotted line to the Data Platforms team.
As a member of the team you will be tasked with supporting the current database instances and providing resilient database solutions to the various challenges that arise using SQL Server and related technologies on a Windows platform.
The successful candidate will in the long term help migrate solutions from on-prem to Azure.
You will be responsible for
- SQL server database administration using SQL server 2012/2017/2019.
- Installation and configuration of SQL Server Instances.
- Upgrading Instances to the latest versions.
- Creating Test, Pre-Prod and Prod environments.
- Creating a coherent strategy for productionising environments.
- Database housekeeping - maintaining and enhancing the performance of existing databases and ensuring databases are highly available.
- DR testing.
- Working with the Cyber Security Team members to ensure Data security and integrity:
- All database patching is up to date.
- Access control is properly managed and all database access is audited
- Adhering to best practices in securely storing, backing up, and archiving data.
- Ensuring PII data is encrypted and access restricted.
- Monitoring databases and related systems to ensure optimized performance.
- Documenting - requirements capture, database design, and configuration.
- Maintaining Database Technology Roadmaps.
- Working with third-parties and vendors to raise support tickets and Changes.
- Support the migration to public cloud based infrastructure and services (Azure)
- Keeping abreast of developments and best practices in database engineering.
You will need
- Experience in database administration in SQL Server (SQL 2012, SQL 2017,SQL 2019)
- Experience of writing T-SQL, including stored procedures, tables, triggers etc.
- Knowledge of SQL Server tools e.g. SQL profiler
- SSIS, SSRS (from an administration perspective)
- Experience of configuring MS SQL for high availability and Disaster Recovery using SQL Clustering and Always On Availability Groups
- Practical experience in monitoring and tuning a database to provide a highly available service.
- Understanding of database encryption
- Understanding of GDPR and management of data
- Ability to resolve data related problems
- Ability to communicate with both technical and non-technical people, effectively and constructively
- Ability to collaborate and work effectively in a team
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Exceptional problem-solving and critical thinking skills.
- Display The O2 Values.
- ITIL Certification, understanding of ITIL service management framework.
- Microsoft Certifications.
- Azure knowledge (Data Factory, Databricks).
- Technical qualifications such as BSc degree or equivalent beneficial