The following content displays a map of the jobs location - Hybrid + Farringdon/Welwyn Garden City
Design Lead - Product & Supplier
What’s in it for you
We offer excellent benefits that help make Tesco a great place to work! These include but are not limited to:
- Annual bonus scheme
- Holiday starting at 25 days plus a personal day (and bank holidays)
- Great colleague discounts and deals, saving you money on everyday purchases, utility bills for the home and more
- Retirement savings plan – save between 4% and 7.5% and Tesco will match your contribution
- Buy as you earn and Save as you earn share schemes
- Opportunities to get on – take advantage of our ongoing learning opportunities and award-winning training to help you achieve the career you want
About the role
We are looking for a design leader who can see the possibility in every opportunity - from large ground-breaking projects on big budgets to the small incremental quick wins that will provide millions of our customers with immediate improvements. Together with our design team you will help to develop long term vision along with the strategy for the future of design in Tesco.
You will be part of a team that crafts global enterprise tools and services, which hundreds and thousands of our Colleagues, external Supplier and Partners use every day to communicate and do business with Tesco.
This role will be strategic yet hands-on, you have a passion for craft and design and most of all shape a clear vision of the future for user experience. You will guide our future research, develop design processes, and encourage your team to together push the boundaries of what’s possible. Become a mentor for passionate members of your team, collaborate with leaders of Product, Data Science and Engineering teams to build innovative experiences across all of Tesco products.
Are you passionate about delivering outstanding experiences and encouraging others to follow suit? You’ll be a natural problem solver who is outcome and goal-oriented, innately creative, and an excellent communicator and collaborator. Ability to lead in various contexts, with an insight driven demeanour. Experience of applying user centred design methods throughout the UX research, design, and solution delivery cycles.
You will be responsible for
- Lead a large vision piece based on solid evidence that tells the story of how multiple user types engage with Tesco and how our technology helps them do their jobs better
- Guide colleagues of all levels and functions to see the big picture and push the ambition for what the user experience of the future should be
- Lead creative and multidisciplinary thinking across diverse service line, product releases, platforms, and devices
- Take ownership of all end-to-end UX process activities, and champion human centred, customer focused experience design within immediate project area and in wider business
- Apply deep systems thinking, service design, and think beyond the digital touchpoints or UI improvements as an efficient solution.
- Mentor and provide clear strategic and tactical direction for your team of multidisciplinary design specialists
- Drive and lead user-centric change: take our business, product, and engineering partners on the journey to true user centric research and problem solving. Partner with product, engineering and business partners and influence the strategic roadmaps
- Uncover and drive design maturity improvements across the domain and its projects: improving the ways of working between different fields, optimise how the teams research and design and how other disciplines contribute to existing processes
- Unblock and empower your team to research, define, influence, and drive the user experience vision for all projects
- Set research and design standards for the immediate projects, wider teams, and enterprise domains
- Be ultimately responsible for all user research and product design output and outcomes from your team
- Work with multidisciplinary teams across the business to identify core customer missions, build service and product user journeys and experiences that let our customers use our products seamlessly
- Contribute and drive initiatives to support design maturity for the immediate projects as well as wider Tesco design communities
- Develop expert-level knowledge of driven and complementary products and bring new ideas to the team. Uncover growth, sustainability, cost-reduction, and other opportunities that can benefit immediate product teams, service lines or the business as a whole
You will need
- Experience with complex enterprise-level services and products
- Strong, creative UX design thinking and implementation
- Ability to influence and drive experience design across several different products
- Thought leadership: providing design leadership direction
- Setting standards and unblocking people in your team
- People management: ability to coach, mentor and deliver value through others
- Strategic impact and outcomes led approach to UX and design
- Expertise in mixed user research methods (quant and qual), multidisciplinary experience design strategy, product design, validation, and measured outcomes
- Understanding of web technologies and software development life cycle would be an excellent advantage (no coding required)
- Understanding of purpose-built hardware and non-digital touchpoint research and design would be a phenomenal advantage
- Improving research, design, and development processes for you and your team to gain efficiency, remove obstacles, and simplify problems
- Outstanding partner management skills and ability to take product, engineering, and business representatives on the journey
- Background in Interaction Design, Human-computer Interaction, behavioural psychology, or any other human-centric field would be excellent advantage
- 7+ years of experience
- Portfolio that best showcases user-centric design, hands-on and leadership skills, and most importantly a strategic impact and outcomes
Our vision at Tesco is to become every customer’s favourite way to shop, whether they are at home or out on the move. Our core purpose is “Serving our customers, communities and planet a little better every day”. Serving means more than a transactional relationship with our customers. It means acting as a responsible and sustainable business for all stakeholders, for the communities we are part of, and for the planet.
We are proud to have an inclusive culture at Tesco where everyone truly feels able to be themselves. At Tesco, we not only celebrate diversity, but recognise the value and opportunity it brings. We’re committed to creating a workplace where differences are valued, and make sure that all colleagues are given the same opportunities. We’re a big business with diverse working patterns and many business areas which means that we can find something that works for you. Everyone is welcome at Tesco.
We have recently announced that we are moving to a more blended working week – combining office and remote working. Our offices continue to be where we connect, collaborate and innovate. Talk to us about how this can work for you.
Note: Should you be successful in your application, your employment will be subject to and conditional upon you providing your bank account details on your agreed start date.